Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2021, 02:47 PM

812 posts, read 831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Cooper announces teachers can get the vaccine ahead of the other essential workers on Feb 24. So the teacher's unions have forced privileged vaccines and cut the line and a $2500 bonus, all for refusing to work. Talk about educational privilege.
It is priority, not privilege. It is a priority and most essential we get teachers and students back in the classroom and get ALL the kids learning again. Educators, especially K-12, should have been given more vaccine priority awhile ago -right after hospital staff and first responders. As for the bonus, I think it should be more -given their responsibility and value to society. Educators, especially in this state, tend to be undervalued/undercompensated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 02:54 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't like it and nope I won't put my kid in VA.

I see what you're trying to do here, but the difference is, you're pushing for MORE strict rules, I'm pushing for LESS strict rules. Sort of a different thing.
Nope, I am pushing for them to follow the guidelines that scientist have put out for them. Nobody has said they need to wear 2 masks but you just want to get people worked up. You have objected to the new meal rules that have everyone 6 feet apart when unmasked. What you want is a situation that is not safe for kids or teachers.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:59 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
What "unions", there is NCAE and I do not find them powerful in fact they have no teeth without the right to collective bargaining. They can complain as a group just as the reopeners do.
Seriously, look at how teachers are treated down here compared to states with strong teacher's unions. Teachers at my kid's school are serving their students lunch, cleaning up their spilled milk, and out running the carpool in the wind, rain, and ice. Whether they should or should not be expected to do that is debatable, but the teachers up in NY for sure weren't doing that when I was growing up.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
It is priority, not privilege. It is a priority and most essential we get teachers and students back in the classroom and get ALL the kids learning again. Educators, especially K-12, should have been given more vaccine priority awhile ago -right after hospital staff and first responders. As for the bonus, I think it should be more -given their responsibility and value to society. Educators, especially in this state, tend to be undervalued/undercompensated.
As are many essential workers including those who have been going to work since last March keeping things moving while others have been at home. Ridiculous that teachers across the board get priority over them when many haven't even been to work and may not for quite awhile. And especially absurd when the governor has said that evidence indicates they can go back to school safely without a vaccine as long as precautions are taken. Teachers have been using their collective power to push for what they want at the expense of everyone else. It's sickening.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:11 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
As for the bonus, I think it should be more -given their responsibility and value to society. Educators, especially in this state, tend to be undervalued/undercompensated.
You can't constantly state you're so important to society and then run at the first sign of trouble. Imagine if doctors and nurses did that? There are teachers who are posting on social media "I love working remote, I could do this forever". They should be summarily fired.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:36 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
By the way close contact sports have been going on since October and as far as I know there are no superspreader issues from them. A couple Bball teams have had to quarantine but COVID was caught outside the team and wasn't spread TO the team. And yeah, the kids drink water during practice and games with no mask on and travel to and from games together. The horror!

Old 02-10-2021, 04:30 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
By the way close contact sports have been going on since October and as far as I know there are no superspreader issues from them. A couple Bball teams have had to quarantine but COVID was caught outside the team and wasn't spread TO the team. And yeah, the kids drink water during practice and games with no mask on and travel to and from games together. The horror!
What about the Cary HS cluster in Jan?

I don’t know if it was sports related, but students were mostly on campus for sports in Jan.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:54 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Nobody has said they need to wear 2 masks but you just want to get people worked up. You have objected to the new meal rules that have everyone 6 feet apart when unmasked. What you want is a situation that is not safe for kids or teachers.
Just wait. WCPSS is as predictable as it gets.

And I have no problem with everyone eating 6 feet apart. What I have a problem with is prison-like rules where all kids sit down, prepare their lunches, then "on the count of 3, take off your mask and we start the 20 minute timer with no talking!". It is all theatrics, just like temperature checks, health screenings, and over-the-top quarantines any time a kid gets a runny nose. All to appease teachers who have irrational fears of children who have been proven by science to rarely spread Covid.

Nobody gives a crap about the mental well-being of children, especially those whose jobs it is to care about the mental well-being of children. All they care about is easing their own anxiety. It's getting old really quick.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:04 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
How do you think the more virulent variants will affect the schools? The South African variant is possibly resistant to the current vaccines and spreads far more quickly. I worry about the variants and wonder why they are more virulent and not less virulent as mutated viruses tend to be. Is Covid 19 acting like a virus that occurs in nature?
"possibly".

https://www.jpost.com/health-science...t-study-657543

26 people who had only the first dose.

Quote:
When testing the blood serum samples, all but seven of the participants had levels of antibodies sufficiently high to neutralize the virus – that is, to protect against infection, the researchers said.
When the scientists added all the key mutations found in B1.1.7 variant, however, they found the efficacy of the vaccine was affected, with, on average, two-fold higher concentrations of antibody required to neutralize the virus.
When the E484K mutation was added, even greater levels of antibody were required for the virus to be neutralized - with an average of a 10-fold increase needed, the researchers said.
Dami Collier, who co-led the work, said the findings suggest "a significant proportion of people aged over 80 may not have developed protective neutralizing antibodies against infection three weeks after their first dose of the vaccine."
now, that's some science-ese, since they don't tell us "2-fold higher concentrations" and "10-fold" mean. I believe they've said even after vaccination that the 80+ crowd doesn't usually develop as many antibodies. So, there's no way based on that article to know what effect it would have on school children or the vast majority of teachers/staff.

And anyway, there's this news out just yesterday, but it only used 20 people. And no details.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ys/ar-BB1dxuPM

Old 02-10-2021, 05:06 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
My son's teacher texted us the app said he was not doing good in reading. We asked the teacher if this app was accurate based on her observations? Oops you aren't able to observer/coach/help because you have had exactly 3 days in the class room with my son in the last year now. There approach of ride this out and do the best we can do with google office presentation software and half/rate google meets has lost my support.

My nephew in NY has been in class for some time now, they test x% of the staff and students and keep kids in the class unless X number of cases/per test are reached. They take actual samples and use real data VS the WCPSS which is no class until we say so cause "numbers are up"
What age is your son, and what can you do to help him improve his reading?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary