Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 06:38 AM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
We came from California and I had only seen one roach my entire life out there (and I was 40ish when we moved here). I was at an IT conference at a hotel in Silicon Valley and they brought out some baked goods. All of a sudden one came running out of the assortment of "goodies"!!! Needless to say.... I went without eating that day!

And as for my children, they NEVER saw one while living there.
We live in San Diego.

For the last 10 or 15 years we've been having an influx of American Cockroach. My office is off the 94 and it was routine to see some live and dead ones on a daily basis since the pest control guy sprayed daily. In and outside the building. We get about 1 a week in the house. It's about impossible to keep them out as they can sneak through the tiniest crack. We just kill it, toss it and move on. We see them near the beach, they are all over now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 06:51 AM

8,745 posts, read 5,031,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Oh wow I totally get it. I moved back north and am extremely happy. Never liked humidity either. In two years back north I have seen one small spider and some sugar ants in the house. I would never move south again. The insects grossed me out, especially roaches. Doesn’t matter how clean you keep your place.
Wow...I am in SC. I see less bugs here, then I did up north. I do live in large over 55 community. I have not seen one roach, or large spider. We have the tubes, in our walls, that the bug guy, comes and fills. You either needed a pest control service....or a better one.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:28 AM

13,695 posts, read 12,399,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
IDK if that poster is from up north but we always associated roaches with filth and poverty. Not saying it's right just that that's the general consensus.

I never saw a roach till I moved to NC. I heard people talking about palmetto bugs but I was like, nah that's a roach. But just like people up north are led to believe one thing, maybe people who grew up here are led to believe they are "everywhere". They may be in every geographical location but I assure you in the 30 years I lived in New England I never saw a single roach.
Yep, grew up in the upper midwest, never saw a roach in person til I was 13 or so and a kid had one in his hockey bag in the locker room. Roaches were a pestilence caused by living in extreme filth or living in close quarters (IE an apartment building) with those that did.

When I first came down here, the first apartment I looked at said "The exterminator comes every other Tuesday" or something like that. I was taken aback; when I lived in old apartment buildings in Minneapolis we'd have a guy come spray twice a year for silverfish and something else, but no roaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Just out of curiosity but how many cockroaches do you think is considered "normal" to see before it's considered a problem. Maybe it's because I was home more often and cooking more but I definitely saw more than normal this year - maybe 1 or 2 every two weeks during the summer if I went downstairs at night to the kitchen for some water. My current stance is that as long as I don't see them during the day and it isn't the tiny ones, it's not a huge problem (and I don't mind killing them)
I saw more this year as well. I attribute some of it to a second dog with an additional screen door that doesn't close very well. For the first time in 2.5 years I've had the house sprayed.

We also had a lot of rain this year, and we haven't had a really cold winter in at least two years.

I think that a cold winter will snap some of them back a little bit.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:31 PM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
If you are getting packages sent to your house you will eventually get them as they love laying eggs in cardboard. Same with grocery bags or other containers they've laid eggs.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,594,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Just out of curiosity but how many cockroaches do you think is considered "normal" to see before it's considered a problem. Maybe it's because I was home more often and cooking more but I definitely saw more than normal this year - maybe 1 or 2 every two weeks during the summer if I went downstairs at night to the kitchen for some water. My current stance is that as long as I don't see them during the day and it isn't the tiny ones, it's not a huge problem (and I don't mind killing them)
That would definitely be too many for me. We have quarterly service done and do not see any roaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary