U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 AM
 
43 posts, read 176,911 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Hello, is it true that a buyers agent will not charge you when getting a house? And if it's true, is there any agent here that has a website with house listing?

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
39,040 posts, read 67,618,949 times
Reputation: 39931
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainth View Post
Hello, is it true that a buyers agent will not charge you when getting a house? And if it's true, is there any agent here that has a website with house listing?

Thank you.
Commonly, the Seller pays a fee to his agent and the Seller's Agent pays the Buyer's Agent a portion of that fee.

Sometimes, Sellers who do not use a Seller's Agent refuse to pay the Buyer's Agent.
If you purchase a home with a Buyer's Agent from an unrepresented Seller who will not pay your Agent, usually your contract with your agent says You will pay your Buyer's Agent.

These details are typically addressed in the contract you use to engage a Buyer's Agent.

This also is worth reading:
http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/pdf/brochures/WorkingwAgents-8.5x14.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-24-2008 at 06:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
 
4,606 posts, read 7,296,113 times
Reputation: 5236
Default Moderator Note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainth View Post
Hello, is it true that a buyers agent will not charge you when getting a house? And if it's true, is there any agent here that has a website with house listing?

Thank you.
The RE Agents here are not allowed to advertise. So you will need to look in their profiles to see their websites. And you will have to contact them via direct message, as they are not permitted to solicit their services on the forums or in direct message.

To look in their profiles click on the user name and then you can see if a website is available.

Welcome to City Data.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
 
132 posts, read 310,744 times
Reputation: 168
Default My buying agent has been great

We close on our house that we bought a couple of weeks ago in West Lake and being up here in Massachusetts, I'm so greatful that we have a really good buying agent. We've been working with him for a year now while we've tried to sell our house up here and he has been patient, professional, informed and very organized; spending many days dragging us from house to house.

Now that we are under agreement on our new house, he has simply taken care of everything. He facilitated and took care of the closing attorney, termite inspection, home inspection, etc, etc. We just get an email from him saying "this is done", "that is done", etc. No worries. Just terrific service.

I strongly recommend using a buying agent; especially if you are relocating from another part of the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
99 posts, read 307,486 times
Reputation: 29
All of the websites for the big real estate companies (and most of the small ones too)will provide a way for you to search available listings. Just Google the name of a company and then narrow down the search to state, city, price and features. Good luck!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
 
52 posts, read 122,443 times
Reputation: 15
Yes, you get FREE access to triangle MLS data thru their websites. Buyer agents will help you find home at NO cost to you.Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM
 
269 posts, read 892,863 times
Reputation: 100
If you would like a recommendation, I can certainly provide you with one. We LOVE our buyers agent. Send me a direct message if you would like her information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
 
584 posts, read 2,303,830 times
Reputation: 305
I wouldn't go as far to say NO cost. The agents fees are built into the price and if you don't use a buyers agent you should certainly ask for that % off the price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,407 posts, read 10,228,229 times
Reputation: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
I wouldn't go as far to say NO cost. The agents fees are built into the price and if you don't use a buyers agent you should certainly ask for that % off the price.
You can ask, however, it's rare that they can take that % off the price. Why? Because that money is already spoken for ...

For instance, in the case of the new construction, you have a builder and a RE company that is marketing the homes. As a purchaser, it doesn't make any difference in price whether you use a buyers agent or not. The money for the buyers agent is in a marketing budget. If you don't bring a buyers agent, the money stays in the marketing budget. The buyer isn't saving the builder any money, so no savings will be passed onto the buyer.

In the case of resale homes, most listing agreements have it where the sellers pay a set percentage is paid to the listing agent (5%, 6% or whatever percent). The listing agent may offer to pay a portion of this to a subagent or a buyer's agent (say 2%, 2.4%, 2.5% or 3% or whatever) if they bring a buyer. If you approach the listing agent directly without a buyer's agent, though, the listing agent will get to keep the whole commission (all 5%, 6% or whatever). So the buyer isn't saving the seller any money either, and therefore, no savings will be passed onto the buyer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 PM
 
Location: North Raleigh
820 posts, read 2,661,081 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
You can ask, however, it's rare that they can take that % off the price. Why? Because that money is already spoken for ...

For instance, in the case of the new construction, you have a builder and a RE company that is marketing the homes. As a purchaser, it doesn't make any difference in price whether you use a buyers agent or not. The money for the buyers agent is in a marketing budget. If you don't bring a buyers agent, the money stays in the marketing budget. The buyer isn't saving the builder any money, so no savings will be passed onto the buyer.

In the case of resale homes, most listing agreements have it where the sellers pay a set percentage is paid to the listing agent (5%, 6% or whatever percent). The listing agent may offer to pay a portion of this to a subagent or a buyer's agent (say 2%, 2.4%, 2.5% or 3% or whatever) if they bring a buyer. If you approach the listing agent directly without a buyer's agent, though, the listing agent will get to keep the whole commission (all 5%, 6% or whatever). So the buyer isn't saving the seller any money either, and therefore, no savings will be passed onto the buyer.
I think he's talking in terms of FSBO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top