Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,646,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
They keep liquor stores open because there’s so many alcoholics out there that would have severe withdrawals if they close them and couldn’t get their fix. You can actually die from alcohol withdrawal’s.
Thats so ridiculous. Hospitals would not be overrun by withdrawing alcoholics if ABC stores closed.

NC ABC stores are classified as a state government agency and will therefore remain open.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...in-open-in-nc/

Last edited by Edward Teach; 03-26-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Can we drive to the post office, I would consider that an essential service? What about DMV? Come to think of it, I haven’t gotten any mail in 2 days, kind of unusual.
The Postal Service is classified as an essential government service operation.

NCDMV info:

The DMV will close about 60 offices that have the fewest examiner stations or have office setups that make it difficult to provide customers with the recommended space recommended by the CDC. Customers who have appointments at those offices are being contacted and will be given new appointments once those offices re-open. Affected employees will be re-assigned to help staff at about 50 offices that are scheduled to remain open, or to assist at our customer service call centers.

March 25 UPDATE: This PDF lists​​​ which offices remain open and which have now closed.

The open offices will be transitioned to handle appointment-only visits and will limit the number of customers allowed inside at the same time, depending on the office size. They will also no longer conduct road tests except for commercial driver’s license and medical reassessments. All customers for the driver license offices will be asked to complete a wellness questionnaire provided by the state health officials to mitigate the potential spread of the virus in our driver license offices.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ronavirus.aspx

Old 03-26-2020, 05:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,282,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Thats so ridiculous.
Everyone's got their vices. It's sort of like if you had to go a week without telling someone they're wrong on the internet.

Seriously though, why shouldn't a liquor store be open if restaurants can do takeout (including beer and wine)? Lets not act like we're in an actual "shelter in place" order right now. There are tons of people out and about shopping and going to restaurants, tons of workers going to work because their employers claim they're essential. I picked up an online order at Jersey Mike's today - it was mobbed cause they were doing 50% off all sandwiches. I wanted to get in and out of there, but ended up standing there for 10 minutes because they were so busy.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Everyone's got their vices. It's sort of like if you had to go a week without telling someone they're wrong on the internet.

Seriously though, why shouldn't a liquor store be open if restaurants can do takeout (including beer and wine)? Lets not act like we're in an actual "shelter in place" order right now. There are tons of people out and about shopping and going to restaurants, tons of workers going to work because their employers claim they're essential. I picked up an online order at Jersey Mike's today - it was mobbed cause they were doing 50% off all sandwiches. I wanted to get in and out of there, but ended up standing there for 10 minutes because they were so busy.
In your rush to be judgy and snarky you missed my point. I have no issue with abc stores being open. What is ridiculous is the explanation for the stores being open that is being espoused by certain posters, i.e., if they were to close then hospitals would be overrun by alcoholics suffering from withdrawal. Thats just dumb.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. I have no issue with abc stores being open. What is ridiculous is the explanation for them being open that is being espoused by certain posters, i.e., if they were to close then hospitals would be overrun by alcoholics suffering from withdrawal. Thats just dumb.
Yeah - I posted before you edited your post to clarify. You're right again!

Old 03-26-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah - I posted before you edited your post to clarify. You're right again!
Perhaps you could seek clarification before jumping to conclusions. Or even read a post and think about what it says before jumping in with your usual snarky comments.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you could seek clarification before jumping to conclusions. Or even read a post and think about what it says before jumping in with your usual snarky comments.
Did you see the smiley face in my post? I was trying to have some fun with you.

Your original post before you edited it said "That's so ridiculous". There's not much to misunderstand there - I will try and wait it out for all your edits in the future.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Did you see the smiley face in my post? I was trying to have some fun with you.
Given the nature of your previous interactions with me, I have zero interest in having any "fun" with you, sorry. You burned that bridge a long time ago.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 03-26-2020 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 PM

22,677 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Thats so ridiculous. Hospitals would not be overrun by withdrawing alcoholics if ABC stores closed.

NC ABC stores are classified as a state government agency and will therefore remain open.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...in-open-in-nc/
Of course they would not overrun the hospitals. But the idea is to keep as many bed free as possible. Right now 75% of hospitals are reporting 50% capacity. People are still having heart attacks, strokes, getting into serious car crashes and having babies. But elective surgeries have been cancelled and let's keep the drunks going so they don't end up in the ER as well.

PS I'm not "espousing any notion", my nephew is a doctor and said this is one reason they stay open. Now I await your one-up post telling me you're the CEO of Rex Hospital or the head of nursing at Duke and I'm wrong. I'll wait.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Of course they would not overrun the hospitals. But the idea is to keep as many bed free as possible. Right now 75% of hospitals are reporting 50% capacity. People are still having heart attacks, strokes, getting into serious car crashes and having babies. But elective surgeries have been cancelled and let's keep the drunks going so they don't end up in the ER as well.
ABC stores are not being kept open in order to avoid withdrawing alcoholics showing up at hospitals. That is so absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary