Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I haven't been to her (not accepting new patients as far as I've heard), but I can't tell you how many people I have heard recommend her! I hear more recommendations for this ped than any other in the area by far, and people often drive a good distance just to see her. (maybe has something to do with the circles I run in though... a lot of us are not totally satisfied with our peds... we want medical advice, not parenting advice from our doctors...)

I am using Duke Pediatrics on Roxboro Road in Durham, and they are okay. I don't really have a lot of complaints, but I don't love them either. People seem to really love Dr. Ramsdell.
The doctors at Carolina Kids are great at both medical advice and parenting advice. I guess there is a very fine line between the two. By parenting advice - I don't mean how to raise your kids - but little hints about breaking the bottle, potty training, tips on how to get them to fall asleep on their own, etc. I guess i come from the old school way of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 PM

101 posts, read 594,468 times
Quote:
I haven't been to her (not accepting new patients as far as I've heard), but I can't tell you how many people I have heard recommend her! I hear more recommendations for this ped than any other in the area by far, and people often drive a good distance just to see her. (maybe has something to do with the circles I run in though... a lot of us are not totally satisfied with our peds... we want medical advice, not parenting advice from our doctors...)

I am using Duke Pediatrics on Roxboro Road in Durham, and they are okay. I don't really have a lot of complaints, but I don't love them either. People seem to really love Dr. Ramsdell.
I actually just called Dr. Ramsdell's office today to inquire and she is accepting new patients now. I just registered my daughter and my new LO due 5/15.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:18 PM

269 posts, read 944,292 times
Any recommendations near Wake Forest???

Old 04-25-2008, 02:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyLu222 View Post
The doctors at Carolina Kids are great at both medical advice and parenting advice. I guess there is a very fine line between the two. By parenting advice - I don't mean how to raise your kids - but little hints about breaking the bottle, potty training, tips on how to get them to fall asleep on their own, etc. I guess i come from the old school way of things.
Yes, I do not want parenting advice from my doctor (including all that you list above re: weaning, potty training, and sleep training). I feel that my doctor has no better qualifications to give parenting advice than any other parent. I am there for medical advice and sometimes I feel I'm lucky if I get accurate information in that area. Maybe I should say I don't want "unsolicited parenting advice" since it seems that some people do enjoy getting parenting advice from their doctors. I think this is more of a problem for those of us who may be less mainstream or traditional in our parenting style. My understanding is that Dr. Ramsdell respects your parenting decisions, and that is something that a lot of people in my crowd do not get from their peds, as simple as it sounds.

It's great to hear that she's accepting new patients again!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,951 times
Quote:

We LOVE Dr. Ramsdell! Highly recommend her practice!

We used to be at Cornerstone Pediatrics (they are relocating to a bigger space next year). I do *not* recommend that practice.

V. grateful for Dr. Ramsdell.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM

146 posts, read 691,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
We used to be at Cornerstone Pediatrics (they are relocating to a bigger space next year). I do *not* recommend that practice.
Can you say why you don't recommend Cornerstone? We're expecting our first, and just starting to think about pediatricians - and Cornerstone is one of the ones on our list. You can DM me if you don't want to post your comments on the board. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBTA View Post
Can you say why you don't recommend Cornerstone? We're expecting our first, and just starting to think about pediatricians - and Cornerstone is one of the ones on our list. You can DM me if you don't want to post your comments on the board. Thanks!
I've taken my 3 and 4 year old there for almost 2 years and several of my friends use them. I wouldn't rave about Cornerstone, but it's fine. Dr. Wilson is very good and I've had mostly positive experiences with all of the doctors there. I don't love the way the office operates and sometimes find the nurses and receptionists less than helpful. I would prefer a smaller practice which you might consider since this is your first. We're moving this month or I probably would switch to another practice.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:08 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
I will also chime in for Dr. Ramsdell. I think the reason why she is so adored is that the entire staff is just so kind, professional, sympathetic, and nurturing to the kids. Even Anne, the secretary, takes the time to really get to know the kids and greet then each by name, ask them questions on how they're doing. Dana, the nurse, does the same, and has such a happy, optimistic, attitude that kids just eat up. you cant help but love them. And Dr Ramsdell herself is so gentle with the kids, gives them information on why she will be doing whatever it is shes doing, and actually spends time with the kids and parents. You are not rushed whatsoever! She's there for the kids, not to fill as many clients in per day as she can for the money.

She is also not one to force anything on you as a parent. She will tell you all options from anitbiotics to eastern medicine, to other alternatives, and let the patient choose after giving her recommendation.

And the exam rooms are precious. The kids look forward to them. Each one has a different theme, from outer space, to fire trucks, and undersea, with corresponding books to look at, fire hats to try on, etc. And toys in each exam room for the kids to play with while you are waiting to see the Dr.

I love Dr. Ramsdell and her staff. I live almost next door to their offices, but would have no issue driving 45 minutes away to keep going to her.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 PM

101 posts, read 594,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
I will also chime in for Dr. Ramsdell. I think the reason why she is so adored is that the entire staff is just so kind, professional, sympathetic, and nurturing to the kids. Even Anne, the secretary, takes the time to really get to know the kids and greet then each by name, ask them questions on how they're doing. Dana, the nurse, does the same, and has such a happy, optimistic, attitude that kids just eat up. you cant help but love them. And Dr Ramsdell herself is so gentle with the kids, gives them information on why she will be doing whatever it is shes doing, and actually spends time with the kids and parents. You are not rushed whatsoever! She's there for the kids, not to fill as many clients in per day as she can for the money.

She is also not one to force anything on you as a parent. She will tell you all options from anitbiotics to eastern medicine, to other alternatives, and let the patient choose after giving her recommendation.

And the exam rooms are precious. The kids look forward to them. Each one has a different theme, from outer space, to fire trucks, and undersea, with corresponding books to look at, fire hats to try on, etc. And toys in each exam room for the kids to play with while you are waiting to see the Dr.

I love Dr. Ramsdell and her staff. I live almost next door to their offices, but would have no issue driving 45 minutes away to keep going to her.

Since I just registered my daughter today with her, can you tell me if you have ever had trouble getting an appointment when you needed one?

I was going to a large practice that I did not like just because I knew that I could always get my daughter in that same day and was a bit leery to go to a smaller practice.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 PM

58 posts, read 211,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
Any recommendations near Wake Forest???
Dr.Kamini Patel of North Wake Pediatrics is our pediatrician. We just started going to her, but we love her already. She is off of Falls of Neuse and Durant at the Wakemed building. PM me if you want more details. We are in Wake Forest, and it was hard to find someone we liked in this vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary