Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 04:24 PM

151 posts, read 404,922 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what this is? Water valve? It’s on a number of driveways in our neighborhood and we’re trying to figure out what it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Metal cover on driveway-c90e3ad9-9e55-41ad-b654-f46f2054477c.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Can you pop the cover off? Is there anything engraved on it, or a number stamped on it? It could be a benchmark of some type.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:33 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Survey marker?

Old 04-11-2020, 05:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
It's a similar size to the "antenna's" that are on that top of the water meters that they use for wireless monitoring. That would be my first guess, but it would seem strange to me that the water meter/shut off would be under the driveway. Have you found the water meter anywhere else on your property?

I doubt it would be a survey marker since it's under the driveway.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:41 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
We have these. They're required in Apex now I think with new construction. They are indicators of a pass-thru for utilities under the concrete in areas like sidewalks and driveways. If you were to carefully dig adjacent to that marker in your lawn next to the concrete, down below the concrete you'd find a PVC pipe. It runs below the entire length of the concrete, allowing for utilities to easily pass wires below the surface.

It's not covering anything in the concrete so popping it off is futile. It's set into the concrete at the time it was poured.

Kinda smart really. Makes it easier for everyone involved to roughly know where wires (like internet) might or can pass.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:46 PM

151 posts, read 404,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
We have these. They're required in Apex now I think with new construction. They are indicators of a pass-thru for utilities under the concrete in areas like sidewalks and driveways. If you were to carefully dig adjacent to that marker in your lawn next to the concrete, down below the concrete you'd find a PVC pipe. It runs below the entire length of the concrete, allowing for utilities to easily pass wires below the surface.

It's not covering anything in the concrete so popping it off is futile. It's set into the concrete at the time it was poured.

Kinda smart really. Makes it easier for everyone involved to roughly know where wires (like internet) might or can pass.
You the man makes sense!! Thanks everyone.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:52 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Looks like a survey marker to me. Not closely related but, we're big Walt Disney World go'ers and I've seen metal discs exactly like this embedded in the concrete at spots around EPCOT, the Magic Kingdom, etc. Those at Disney have numbers embossed on them. Looks like the metal disc shown here is in the public easement ? my guess is it's a survey marker of some sort, put there by whatever municipality / public works dept. where you're at.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:37 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Looks like a survey marker to me. Not closely related but, we're big Walt Disney World go'ers and I've seen metal discs exactly like this embedded in the concrete at spots around EPCOT, the Magic Kingdom, etc. Those at Disney have numbers embossed on them. Looks like the metal disc shown here is in the public easement ? my guess is it's a survey marker of some sort, put there by whatever municipality / public works dept. where you're at.
It was already answered correctly...it's a conduit marker. The requirement is spelled out in section 303(D) of the Apex town standards. The caps are supposed to be stamped a utility crossing label which I don't see in the photo, but perhaps that's a more recent addition to the standard.

http://www.apexnc.org/DocumentCenter...---Streets-PDF

Quote:
All conduits shall be marked with a 2-inch brass cap, cast into the concrete curb and/or the sidewalk to indicate the location of the buried conduit. Brass caps shall be stamped with the words “Utility Conduit Crossing” in 3⁄8-inch tall lettering. All caps shall be held true to final elevation, within the forms, prior to and during placement of concrete, by the use of a 12-inch long rebar stake. One cap shall be installed at each individual utility conduit installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: