Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 03:32 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
This virus is unique in that while we can generalize who is at risk, the virus has also shown that it can kill people who are relatively young and have no risk factors, although that is less common.

Overall the virus has a high survival rate, but based on reports people can go from doing okay to not very quickly without little warning.
That isn't unique, that's no different than the flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

I mean we saw protests in two states yesterday that literally looked like scenes from World War Z, protests that were aimed at opening states back up.....by gathering close together and rushing a building....all the while the very agent causing the closures is a highly infectious respiratory infection. Even Hollywood would turn that script down because "its too dumb to be believed"...yet here we are.
It's only dumb, if one is fearful of the virus. Plenty of folks aren't. And plenty of people think that the juice isn't worth the squeeze; that the chances of getting sick and dying are far less important than our rights to assemble, gather, and conduct business with limited interference from the government, that it is incumbent on the individual to protect themselves rather than the government to step in. I'm not saying that I agree but I don't find it dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:35 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It is quite annoying trying to scoot by these people, today the lady in a store was almost completely blocking the aisle, and she wasn't wearing a mask. If they aren't going to re-stock at night with the earlier closing hours there's no point in closing early. And no she wasn't re-stocking TP, Purell or any other high value item.
Saw three employees in one aisle doing the same, about a foot apart, no masks, and it really took me aback. The managers didn't have on masks either. Two cashiers did, but they were hanging under their chin. I really like that HT but I'm not going back there because very few customers were wearing masks too.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:37 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times
They may say that but when they can’t breathe, they’ll be at the ER/ICU begging for help and putting the health care workers at risk who MAY be afraid of getting the virus.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:45 PM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
it is incumbent on the individual to protect themselves rather than the government to step in. I'm not saying that I agree but I don't find it dumb.

Nope. That attitude is dumb. People who have that attitude during a pandemic need to come to the realization that it is dumb. Too many of these individuals clearly have no idea how to protect themselves or others, or they assume that they won't fall terribly ill so it doesn't concern them. Meanwhile they carelessly spread the virus to others. And when the government also has no idea how to protect anyone and can't properly educate individuals on how to protect their community, that's how we get to where we are today.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:48 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That isn't unique, that's no different than the flu.

It's only dumb, if one is fearful of the virus. Plenty of folks aren't. And plenty of people think that the juice isn't worth the squeeze; that the chances of getting sick and dying are far less important than our rights to assemble, gather, and conduct business with limited interference from the government, that it is incumbent on the individual to protect themselves rather than the government to step in. I'm not saying that I agree but I don't find it dumb.
Your and my right to assemble, gather and conduct business with limited interference from the government aren’t going away in any permanent context. Further those rights, like all of our rights, have limits. They have never been nor will they ever be absolute.

Putting yourself in a situation (mass gathering) at an exact point in time when a virus that is a highly transmittable, respiratory illness with a long asymptomatic phase is spreading around the country via close human to human interaction, with your goal of the mass gathering being to open the country back up is literally the most counter productive thing I could almost think of.

So yes, I’ll stand by my adjective, dumb. Those protester’s actions did nothing to protect my rights. If anything, they may have led to a situation where my rights are “impacted” longer.

Last edited by GVoR; 04-16-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 07:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Most of us will get the virus at some point, theres nothing you can do about it. Staying at home isnt to kill the virus, its to not overwhelm the hospitals. We need herd immunity. Open all stores/restaurants/ everything else. Start with low occupancy and gradually increase it every week or two. I'm out every day working and shopping. Everyone is doing a great job social distancing and stores have adapted very well. States and countries that have not locked down seem to be doing fine right now. Hiding from a virus wont help us, it's coming back again later this year, and next year, and the year after. We will all get it and a vaccine wont be ready for a long time. Protect the vulnerable.

Then we do everything in our power to make China pay for what they caused.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:02 PM

555 posts, read 500,347 times
Every time I see these discussions about how dumb it is to gather in public, not wear masks, not stand 6 feet apart at all times, open any non-essential business, I always wonder how many of the people decrying all of these things right now are the ones who ran to the grocery store/warehouse club with throngs of others in the early days of the pandemic to make sure they got all stocked up on their goods. Without masks. Without staying six feet apart. Without wearing gloves etc. Thus increasing the risk of the virus spreading.

Not that I'm espousing doing that now - not at all. It just makes me curious how those who are so shocked and dismayed at others behavior now (after they're discussed as socially unacceptable amongst the cool, educated kids) were among the teeming gathering crowds early on.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:29 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Every time I see these discussions about how dumb it is to gather in public, not wear masks, not stand 6 feet apart at all times, open any non-essential business, I always wonder how many of the people decrying all of these things right now are the ones who ran to the grocery store/warehouse club with throngs of others in the early days of the pandemic to make sure they got all stocked up on their goods. Without masks. Without staying six feet apart. Without wearing gloves etc. Thus increasing the risk of the virus spreading.
Nope. I have done our shopping throughout this situation. Never once would I have described it as stocking up. I have gone out when I need to and have been wearing a homemade mask and double bagged gloves when doing so. I also wear headphones in case anyone gets the idea to spark up a convo with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Not that I'm espousing doing that now - not at all. It just makes me curious how those who are so shocked and dismayed at others behavior now (after they're discussed as socially unacceptable amongst the cool, educated kids) were among the teeming gathering crowds early on.
Dismayed isn’t the right word. Other people’s behavior isn’t causing me any anxiety and it Is by no means unexpected.

Honestly it’s more like that reaction a parent has when their kid (regardless of age) does something and parent goes “well WTF did you think was going to happen?!”

But who am I.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:41 PM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Clearly the initial hoarding frenzy wasn't great behavior either, but at that time you had a ton of people who suddenly found out their entire family would be home all the time for the foreseeable future, and the stores and supply chain were not prepared for that. Just as our government wasn't prepared for the sheer number of people who've suddenly found themselves forcibly unemployed and needing support so their lives don't fall apart.

In the words of Mike Pence: "Do not be afraid. Be vigilant." I will be less afraid about things slowly getting back to normal as more people show they can be vigilant and take individual responsibility in preventing spread of the virus beyond what our healthcare system can handle. And with a lot more testing.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:48 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Everyone is doing a great job social distancing and stores have adapted very well. States and countries that have not locked down seem to be doing fine right now. .
Sweden's ("we aren't locking down, we trust people to do the right thing") population is roughly the same as North Carolina's and their death rate is 10x ours and now they're realizing their mistake and they are WAY behind the curve - so I don't think your hypothesis holds. They are going to be on lockdown till June 30 as the rest of the world slowly gets back to it. Again, for the people in the nosebleeds who can't hear it - WE ARE TRYING NOT TO OVERWHELM THE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM. Yes, we are likely to all get it at some point - but it's best if it's not all at once. And I've seen plenty of people not social distancing (playing basketball, etc) so I also don't believe people will do the right thing if we are "released" any time soon. If they aren't going to do it when we are under a direct order you can damn sure bet they won't do it when they don't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary