Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 04:42 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I find it Fascinating, when anyone asks me, "Isn't 6% commission standard?"
The answer has been "No," for many years.
We do well when we help clients with education.
You mean locally correct?

I don’t know anyone in MA who has paid less than 6% (between family/ friends, so I admit it’s anecdotal) since 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
You mean locally correct?

I don’t know anyone in MA who has paid less than 6% (between family/ friends, so I admit it’s anecdotal) since 2011.
National average has been around 5.1% for many years.
"Average. "

Old 04-20-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
National average has been around 5.1% for many years.
"Average. "
Roger that.

Thanks Mike!

Old 04-21-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Roger that.

Thanks Mike!

If you want a deep dive into commission stats from MA from 1998--2011, here's a snoozer from 2015 by NBER that you can read or download and print:
https://www.slideshare.net/robhahn/c...ission-puzzle/
Ol' Rob Hahn, he's kind of a hot dog and sensationalist, and tries to get out on the bleeding edge, but he is also a smart guy. Attorney.

What I find when reading too many of these studies, is that they HAVE to homogenize and pasteurize and generalize to the extent that nothing really reflects anecdotal experiences. I think we LIVE in Anecdote, and OBSERVE data a lot of the time.
IOW, data sets are so broad and literal, I always feel like, "Gee. It doesn't really work like that."

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-21-2020 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: replace bad link

Old 04-21-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
If you want a deep dive into commission stats from MA from 1998--2011, here's a snoozer from 2015 by NBER that you can read or download and print:
https://www.slideshare.net/robhahn/c...ission-puzzle/
Ol' Rob Hahn, he's kind of a hot dog and sensationalist, and tries to get out on the bleeding edge, but he is also a smart guy. Attorney.

What I find when reading too many of these studies, is that they HAVE to homogenize and pasteurize and generalize to the extent that nothing really reflects anecdotal experiences. I think we LIVE in Anecdote, and OBSERVE data a lot of the time.
IOW, data sets are so broad and literal, I always feel like, "Gee. It doesn't really work like that."

I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing.

(and I agree. I can speak to my anecdotes, but realize when bubbled out, they may not be everyone's reality)

Old 04-21-2020, 08:02 AM

54 posts, read 41,480 times
A buyer agent could theoretically point out issues you didn’t think to research, e.g. this is under flight path, near railroad, highway gonna be built in your backyard in 3 years, etc.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:18 PM

569 posts, read 341,877 times
Quote:
And, an absolutely credible warning.
No competent closing attorney or real estate agent will ever email the wiring instructions, or a wiring instruction change. Total red flag, and Vicki's clients were lucky that they mentioned it and had her on the job.
I haven't had a client yet come close to being scammed like that, but any closing attorney can tell you of scams like that, or bad "certified" checks.

People, including agents, using "free" webmail, yahoo, gmail, etc, bring a lot of it on themselves. It usually starts with an email hack.
Some of the stories are heartbreaking.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-scam/2271424/

https://www.ic3.gov/media/2018/180712.aspx

I heard last year of a couple wiring $~$220,000 to the wrong recipient, but on a Friday evening. Found out over the weekend that they had been scammed.
The funds wire was located in the queue, and stopped and the folks got their funds back. Luckier than words can describe.

Actually, I was being sarcastic.

There was a complete and total breakdown between the law firm and the real estate agent in terms of security. ANYONE communicating electronically in the real estate industry should be using a secure communication network; I always use a VPN and sometimes even a TOR browser. Always assume that you have no privacy online !

My wife is an attorney, currently working from home, and she also uses a VPN. One-time years ago, we purchased a FISBO, and my wife beat the crap out of the seller, to the point where I felt sorry for the seller. Yes, we had had an inspection done (referral from somebody in the process, likely the closing attorney) and things went well but I would not do it again. Too much stress. But we got a deal.

Yes, buyers should always use so called “buyers’ agents”. The price is baked into the purchase price, so they have no reason not to do so, unless they have the smarts to set up a relationship with a closing attorney up front, arrange an inspection etc. It’s not rocket science, but most folks don’t want to go that route.

PLEASE – always use a VPN and a secure browser (like TOR) when conducting financial business online !

Old 04-22-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Actually, I was being sarcastic.

There was a complete and total breakdown between the law firm and the real estate agent in terms of security. ANYONE communicating electronically in the real estate industry should be using a secure communication network; I always use a VPN and sometimes even a TOR browser. Always assume that you have no privacy online !

My wife is an attorney, currently working from home, and she also uses a VPN. One-time years ago, we purchased a FISBO, and my wife beat the crap out of the seller, to the point where I felt sorry for the seller. Yes, we had had an inspection done (referral from somebody in the process, likely the closing attorney) and things went well but I would not do it again. Too much stress. But we got a deal.

Yes, buyers should always use so called “buyers’ agents”. The price is baked into the purchase price, so they have no reason not to do so, unless they have the smarts to set up a relationship with a closing attorney up front, arrange an inspection etc. It’s not rocket science, but most folks don’t want to go that route.

PLEASE – always use a VPN and a secure browser (like TOR) when conducting financial business online !

We cannot control what clients or the other agents do.
Yes, there actually are agents who use "free" webmail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: