Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 11:59 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times

Advertisements

i think this pandemic really demonstrates authoritarian and maternalistic democratic tendencies to perform overreach based on pessimistic scenarios, excessive butt covering, and distrust of the citizenry

I think we've all seen action picking up and a lot of people are out and about and this pushing the goal posts 'just over the next hill' mentality for 'more testing' or 'lowering the curve' is very troubling.

The plan was never to sit out of life until covid was over but incrementality polls are taking us there.

Asheville for example has a total of 100 cases over the past 2 months considering the recovered its crazy to have so much of the functionally able just sit at home

And none of this has kept covid from the risk places like nursing homes where its reaching a grim toll

TLDR stay at home orders and idled hospitals don't make sense. Testing is a bunk metric -- the more you test the more you'll find -- extending lockdown indefinetly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 12:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i think this pandemic really demonstrates authoritarian and maternalistic democratic tendencies to perform overreach based on pessimistic scenarios, excessive butt covering, and distrust of the citizenry

I think we've all seen action picking up and a lot of people are out and about and this pushing the goal posts 'just over the next hill' mentality for 'more testing' or 'lowering the curve' is very troubling.

The plan was never to sit out of life until covid was over but incrementality polls are taking us there.

Asheville for example has a total of 100 cases over the past 2 months considering the recovered its crazy to have so much of the functionally able just sit at home

And none of this has kept covid from the risk places like nursing homes where its reaching a grim toll

TLDR stay at home orders and idled hospitals don't make sense. Testing is a bunk metric -- the more you test the more you'll find -- extending lockdown indefinetly

I don't know if I have seen more projection in a post in my decade plus of posting in online forums.

Well done. Top notch. Top notch.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I don't know if I have seen more projection in a post in my decade plus of posting in online forums.

Well done. Top notch. Top notch.

ah yes the substance free rebuttal

Old 05-13-2020, 12:20 PM

598 posts, read 333,192 times
Quote:

NC DHHS does realize this. That's why NC and other states have started moving through the reopening phases even as positive tests continue piling up. The number of daily hospitalizations and deaths has been fairly stable. The increased testing is more so people can have a better idea of where the active outbreaks really are, and it should also shed some light on how the virus keeps making its way into congregate living/working settings.

By the way, anyone who remembers that story posted about the lady in Charlotte who got the virus even though she "never left the house" - they reported later on that the lady did go to a pharmacy and that's probably how she got it. https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/he...e-16beca4104c4
Though- I don't know how they're so sure she got it from the keypad rather than breathing it in at the pharmacy.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
ah yes the substance free rebuttal

I can't rebut it with substance while not violating the rules of this sub nor keep it from a path that will annoy the better part of the poster base regardless of the personal persuasion, so I left it with the short and simple and snarky.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:27 PM

uh-huh, seems the poster above you figured it out

Old 05-13-2020, 12:28 PM

598 posts, read 333,192 times
Now now you two!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:35 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if NC has tested at the US level, we'd have completed 318,000 tests; we've done 202,000.

IMO, we need to direct the vast majority of tests to city hotspots, and then rip through the 1MM in "nursing homes" and those employees next - and frequently.

I don't need a test right now, nor do at least 80% of the population.

I haven't watched much of Cooper, and not all of the Task Force. On th TF, I've seen a lot more reporter energy spent on Trump - a political issue - and not finding out WHAT were the challenges that held us back, and where did we fail?

In NC - how is it that we can have Duke, UNC, Rex, Baptist, CMC & Presbyterian in CLT, ECU in the East, and New Hanover, etc .... and not be able to process tests?
We're perfectly able to process tests, and we aren't "behind;" we haven't had the same need that hotspots like NYC have had, so haven't had to run as many tests.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
uh-huh, seems the poster above you figured it out
Focusing just on the first line.

Quote:
Literally the most statistically significant predictor (there was a whole research paper done on this in 2016 culminating after the SC Primary) of support of the current POTUS isn't race, gender, income, education, age, ideology or religion....its a person's inclination towards authoritarian* behavior.

*Authoritarian is defined by Political Science types as the value a person places on "conformity and order, protect social norms, and are wary of outsiders"

But yes, you nailed it when you applied that term to the swath of people who don't support the POTUS.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Now now you two!
Sorry all (and hey_guy for the snark). I'll shut up on that tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary