Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
So 80,000+ deaths mean nothing to you? Wow. Just wow. Thats pretty sociopathic.
Lol do you understand numbers or are you just trolling me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 05:33 PM

598 posts, read 333,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Man...some these responses are just...gobsmacking

And what about the issue of when we should all feel okay about sending kids back to school and having things like conferences, conventions, big indoor sporting events, and cruises? Do these people think we should just do all that right now or still hold off on things like that?

Old 05-13-2020, 05:42 PM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
And what about the issue of when we should all feel okay about sending kids back to school and having things like conferences, conventions, big indoor sporting events, and cruises? Do these people think we should just do all that right now or still hold off on things like that?
Nej, jag kommer inte att vara konferenser, stora inomhus-idrottsevenemang och kryssningar (efter mitt eget val), men jag lär mig svenska på fritiden.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:43 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Sounds like is there is no limit to the number of sacrifices needed at the alter of Adam Smith. Whatever it takes.

Merely breathing is now a risk apparently. Can’t wait to see what this revelation does to my life insurance premiums.

“Do you smoke Mr. GVoR?”
“I do not”
“Do you breathe Mr. GVoR”
“Well my medulla oblongata forces me to and my lungs process oxygen to pass around my body via Red Blood Cells”

Adjuster checks smoker box

Old 05-13-2020, 06:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Also, while they were busy wringing their hands over what who is essential and non-essential, they forgot to protect people who were high risk. The nursing home situation is inexcusable.

That it is! It is disgraceful and puts into perspective how we value that population and their care.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:20 PM

628 posts, read 399,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Lol do you understand numbers or are you just trolling me
Yes to your first question. And no to your second. smh

Old 05-13-2020, 07:02 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdust View Post
Nej, jag kommer inte att vara konferenser, stora inomhus-idrottsevenemang och kryssningar (efter mitt eget val), men jag lär mig svenska på fritiden.
You could also read the TOS in your spare time.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that the only reason these extreme measures were tolerated was the now-debunked modeling that predicted our healthcare system would be overwhelmed and people would die unnecessarily deaths from the lack of basic healthcare. It's funny how quick they pivoted when it became clear that wasn't going to happen.
The current primary mechanism of spread is in people who work/live in close contact with other people. Nursing homes, prisons, meatpacking plants, healthcare workers, firemen, police officers and MOST IMPORTANTLY, people who live with someone who was infected off that list. Prior to business closures and social distancing, you can add restaurants, choirs, churches, funerals, birthday parties, call centers. Mardi Gras. With the exception of mardi gras, indoors, in close proximity for an extended period of time. South Korea just had another major outbreak centered on one person going to a bunch of nightclubs. In NC, we've dramatically reduced spread of the virus amoungst the general public.

The overwhelming of the health care system happened. NYCs hospitals were overwhelmed. Our local hospitals in the triangle would have been overwhelmed but for cancellation of schools, stay at home orders and cancellation of elective procedures, which allowed for creation of additional capacity.

This is like Y2K. People saw the problem coming, acted to prevent a catastrophe, and then armchair quarterbacks come in and say it wasn't a big deal when the catastrophe that people worked hard to prevent did not happen.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:15 PM

4,597 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdust View Post
The mask just hasn't been weaponized yet for some - but no worries, where there's a potential market, there's marketeers:

Think of all of that slogan space for the taking, just walking around ...
I can throw rocks from a safe distance.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Since the first google results I find are no newer than Apr 24, it's very hard to get on the asymptomatic %. It's certainly why we should all continue to limit prolonged contact, social distancing, and good hygiene (which includes masks). Asymptomatic is as "low" as "up to 25%" (which is a huge range) and as high as 50% (of tests in Iceland as of early April).
While the true "asymptomatic rate" is hard to pin down, the asymptomatic + presymptomatic but positive rate is clearly in the neighborhood of 50%. This is based on testing on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, the aircraft carrier Roosevelt and to a lesser extent the town of Vo in Italy, all of which had population wide testing.

Last edited by toot68; 05-13-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary