Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
All these fear filled WRAL headlines today about cases spiking. Isn’t that because they just announced this week that anyone can get a test?
well, unfortunately thee data doesn't all line up immediately, and it gets revised. NC went from a 5-day "cone of uncertainty" on case numbers to now 2 weeks where we say "Specimens collected may not be reported".

What we know is that 2 days ago was easily the highest testing reported - not just the first day over 10K, but 12K tests performed.

What we know is the case + % remains around 7%, which is "good". What we know is hospitalizations remain steady in the 50% of ICU capacity range.

I guess "NC Stays in Good Ranges even with Huge test Increases" doesn't sell the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know what could have/should have been done to prevent this at Nursing homes, or prisons. The one I'm most familiar with (my wife volunteers there) stopped visitors well in advance of any other initiatives.

These facilities are dependent on relatively high numbers of lower paid staff (CNA's, Food Service, Janitorial,) that are more likely to work a second job, more likely to live with more people, take public transport, etc...And that adds is own challenges. They are not like a Power Plant, where they have essential and highly paid people that are expected to camp for a week at a time at work, while the next group is tested to insure no one is exposed.

Even compared to a prison, the sheer labor required to go through and sanitize everything when the majority of your population is wheelchair bound and can't really hang out outside even, I can't comprehend what could have been done better for nursing homes, aside from community wide initiatives to reduce the virus overall.

it's the staff part. I get it. It's the "do not come to work if you're sick at all; we'll pay you anyway." It's the logistics of having enough employees show up, where you might get other workers, and as necessary relaxing rules that require X staff per resident (if that's a thing). It's supplying even a surgical mask to the staff.

I understand that in one study/sampling, only 30% had a temperature. That's scary, but at least it's a 30% benefit. Same as discussing the efficacy of masks 2 weeks ago ... that homemade or surgical mask may be "only" 20% effective but 20% beats the heck out of 0.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:36 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
A federal judge has ruled in favor of church leaders, who had filed a lawsuit against Cooper over his ban on gatherings of more than 10 people.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/fed...side/19101332/
It goes on to list another article https://www.wral.com/lawsuit-filed-t...ches/19098285/ but would be interesting to see the complete list of those who filed.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Blue Igloo, the group that walked around Raleigh downtown, is planning another walk today with large weapons like rocket launchers.

Search for Blue Igloo on Facebook. or: https://sometimesfidelis.com/

Anybody yet calling the weapon-toters traitors? Threatening American citizens and government?

Old 05-22-2020, 02:41 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Granted some sessions at SG/SF well over half of the campers come from out of state; most notably the DC and NYC areas.

There's no way Doug McMillan is shutting down SG/SF for the summer if it isn't mandated by state law though.
I stand corrected. Wow.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:00 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,657 times
Wonder why NC is last on this list?

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-off...support/73333/

Ideas?

Old 05-23-2020, 05:00 PM

628 posts, read 399,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Wonder why NC is last on this list?

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-off...support/73333/

Ideas?
My initial guess is because Wallethub is the ultimate in clickbait crap.

Did you read the "methodology" section:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-off...3/#methodology

It explains the data that was used in the ranking. Offhand, I'd say NC ranked low because we have a fairly sparse social safety net, haven't expanded medicaid, don't have great non-employer insurance options, etc.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:21 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Can someone explain the reasoning for Duke Gardens being closed? I know they don't want a lot of people but those people are walking around in the fresh air.
Why did you revive this 2 month old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary