Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:14 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times

Advertisements

Emergency managers and insurers can use the predictions to help prepare a bit, but for the average citizen, it's mostly "we publish predictions because the people want them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 09:49 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Fair enough, but what specifically are the people in Emergency Management doing differently, based on a forecast of the number of storms? Are they ordering more supplies now, etc ?

I'm not trying to be obstinate - just trying to understand the value of spending the time & effort to put together the forecasts.
I'm not in Emergency Management so I don't know. I would guess since OEMs right now are busy with COVID response they may start thinking about what to do if a storm hits. Social distancing isn't going to work in a shelter, for example.
I do work in insurance and I can tell you that they're not gonna worry till there's a named storm. But I'm sure an active storm season is something that they don't want on their radar right now. As of now we haven't had any layoffs, and the unpredictable nature of storm season has probably helped retain some jobs - an active hurricane season on the horizon may save even more.

Also, I'm not sure how old you are - but there was a time where there were no forecasts, and then there was a time when forecasts were crappy till the last second (and that still sometimes happens) - it's probably best if people living in coastal areas know what might be coming their way.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Make sure your generator works now rather than trying to find the part you need when everyone is in full out panic mode? Look around Estate Sales for a few extra Gas Cans? That type of thing...
Just purchased two Honda portable generators. I don’t want a big heavy bulky generator, so if I need extra power I can run the two in parallel.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:18 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I do work in insurance and I can tell you that they're not gonna worry till there's a named storm.
That was sort of my point. We will be told over and over what to do when a storm/hurricane is heading our way, but we do we do NOW, based on the forecast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Also, I'm not sure how old you are - but there was a time where there were no forecasts, and then there was a time when forecasts were crappy till the last second (and that still sometimes happens) - it's probably best if people living in coastal areas know what might be coming their way.
I'm old enough to remember 25-cent per gallon gas and watching the weatherman spin a three-sided board where the last side had the forecast for tomorrow (not 3, 5 or 10-days out) !

Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM

4,547 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Fair enough, but what specifically are the people in Emergency Management doing differently, based on a forecast of the number of storms? Are they ordering more supplies now, etc ?

I'm not trying to be obstinate - just trying to understand the value of spending the time & effort to put together the forecasts.

For example, have a friend in the energy department for NC, and they are contacting a much larger number of outside electrical and gas contractors for this season compared to previous ones. These are the out of state workers who come help repair power and gas lines during/after the storm. As for other things, not sure but I'm guessing similar things to prepare.

As for the rest of us like JONOV said, can see if your generator works or whether it's worth it for you to get one now or just deal with possible outages.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 6,209 times
I've lived here for 8 years and by far the most threatening weather events are the random microbursts that appear without warning. That being said I think we dodged a bullet with the last hurricane.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Give it some more time Jonez.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
That’s right. Just stick around. It’s not a matter of if...it’s when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary