Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:33 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times

Advertisements

My son was at Ravenscroft from 4th grade TIL 8th. Similar school to DA and CA. I applied to RCHS just because my friend said it was a good school but “nobody ever gets in” :-) We had intended for he and his 2 younger brothers to all graduate from Ravenscroft. Well he was offered a place. So we Went to an open evening and he wanted to give it a go. He’s in the process of Distance Learning now to end 9th grade and he’s had a great year. I was very worried about moving him. All my fears were for nothing. Most of what you’ve written isn’t accurate. Except maybe number 1. Send me a DM if you’d like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
RCHS has merit requirements. Are you interested in these schools? Maybe you should look into entrance requirements if so.

I know some people who go to CA who have other kids in regular public school. I myself sent one kid to Catholic HS. It's possible you'll find someone who meets your requirements for comparison but not likely.
What do you think the RCHS merit requirements are?

Old 05-02-2020, 07:08 AM

129 posts, read 115,737 times
I agree with the others that only 1 is correct, though they utilize their proximity to downtown well. I will say I find it a bit endearing in a way, people go there for the incredible school that it is and not the superficial stuff. I always think of RC like a fine restaurant with a small menu, not a lot of choices, but the best food. Can't compare that menu to a Cheesecake Factory and they aren't trying to be that.

Angelkitten, love hearing how happy you are. I am sold on RC, but it is still scary to leave the safe predictable option.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:16 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
If you are in Raleigh/Cary do you want to drive 2x daily to Durham Academy? If you are in Durham, do you want to drive 2x daily to Raleigh Charter or Cary Academy? I'm sure all the schools are excellent, but think about quality of life and time spent on the road. At some point I-40 will be back to being jammed.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:04 PM

25 posts, read 93,224 times
Well, I'm really thankful for all the advice thus far! I do have a dilemma to solve as best as possible and so I'm trying to gather as many helpful pointers as I can:
One of my children has been waitlisted at one of the schools and accepted at the other with a decision deadline looming at the latter. The waitlist is a very high number which per an email from a school official falls well in the range of their historically accepted waitlisters. But my concern is that this probablity may not apply in these Covid19 times. At the other school we have to put down a chunk of non-refundable change today to hold the spot which after a certain future date will contract into the remaining balance, whether attending or not. The waitlist school won't be able to confirm till atleast a week after this date. The waitlist school is a best buy but the other also provides excellent opportunities. Am I gambling an offspring's future for a fistful of dollars?

Old 05-03-2020, 04:41 PM

If you can give Raleigh charter a try I’d do that. I think pvt schools are going to lose lots of students as people worry about money so you’ll probably be able to get your child back into a pvt school if RCHS doesn’t work out. We asked our 9th grader if he wants to go back to pvt school and it was a very definite NO. and he’d been in pvt school since age 3. He lives the staff, kids, atmosphere , classes. Everything at RCHS. The teachers are really great and the head is great. It’s a very no frills school. But that suits my son. Weirdly I thought he’d want all the trappings of a pvt school Campus but he does not. Let us know what you decide.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:57 PM

396 posts, read 434,675 times
Hi, so how does the math pool/lottery work for RCHS? I assume there will be 8th graders applying who are enrolled in regular 8th-grade math and then those who are taking Algebra 1. Would there also be students who took Algebra 1 in 7th grade and are taking Geometry in 8th grade? Do those students have the best chance of getting in? I understand it is a lottery, but how are the spots allocated? Are there more available spots for certain math tracks? So, they do not look at report cards or assessments at all?

Old 05-03-2020, 05:47 PM

They don’t look at report cards or assessments. I understand There are kids entering RCHS in 9th having completed Geometry or Algebra 1 or Pre Algebra in 8th. I don’t know how many places there are for each math group.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:07 PM

122 posts, read 98,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Hi, so how does the math pool/lottery work for RCHS? I assume there will be 8th graders applying who are enrolled in regular 8th-grade math and then those who are taking Algebra 1. Would there also be students who took Algebra 1 in 7th grade and are taking Geometry in 8th grade? Do those students have the best chance of getting in? I understand it is a lottery, but how are the spots allocated? Are there more available spots for certain math tracks? So, they do not look at report cards or assessments at all?
My daughter graduated from RCHS some years ago. I don’t remember details now, because it’s been a long time. I do remember however that when she won a place in the lottery, we had to go to the school for a meeting, with her transcript that showed her last math class. During the meeting the lady told us that they now only had spaces left for kids who were ready for Algebra 2. Fortunately my daughter had just done Geometry so she got the place. I imagine if she wasn’t ready for Algebra 2, they’d have gone to the next kid from the lottery, but I never asked - we were just relieved her math matched what they were needing!

Old 05-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Things must have changed because we didn’t have to do anything like that in 2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary