Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 33,555 times

Advertisements

We are closing on our house in NJ mid-June and we really need to crack down and choose an area. Our search is all over the place right now.... North Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, and maybe even Holly Springs. After reading a few threads, I think we should even check out Chapel Hill (it seems like that have all the good things about Wake County without the school issues, any insight on that?)

Which brings me to my question: Are Leesville Schools all that?? My realtor says that people are so desperate to be in the areas that have these 3 schools as base schools. Now, I've noticed some homes have all 3 as base schools: Leesville Road Elementary, Leesville Road Middle and Leesville Road High School and some have only one or two... does it make a difference? Our DD will be starting kindergarten this year. Also, if we buy in an area that has all 3 as base schools, is that a guarantee that our children will attend K-12 in these 3 schools? Assuming we buy close enough to the school so that we are least likely to be affected by rezoning/redistributing, etc.

Help! We need to decide on an area asap since we only have a few weeks... and if Leesville schools are really miles above the other WC schools, we will of course choose N. Raleigh and that area.

Also, are Apex and Cary (and other places we are considering above) really that much below Leesville schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Leesville schools aren't that much better than any of the other schools in the area. Leesville schools are good but not significantly better than MANY other schools in the area. If you want to go by "test scores", I think most Cary schools outperform Leesville but that is all relative so I don't put a lot of stock in it. ALso, leesville Middle is going year round next year and no, there is no guarantee they will stay in those schools from k-12.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:15 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Leesville Schools have always had a bit of "status" placed on them. Seems that people love the North Raleigh area, easy access to RTP, shopping and the airport and as the land became more expensive, the houses became more expensive and those that could afford to live in this area made the schools more desireable.

I'd suggest you check out the test scores, as one way of looking at the schools in this area.

Wake County will not guarantee that your child will stay in any school.

And...if you drive down Leesville Road, you'll see the brand new elementary school being built in the area.

I loveeeeeeeeeeeee North Raleigh!

Vicki

Old 04-26-2008, 04:06 PM

52 posts, read 132,513 times
Schools are not guaranteed in wake county. However, some neighborhoods historically (some for past 5+ years with top schools like Davis Drive, Green Hope) had no changes so far due to re-assignment (no guarantee though, they review every year). Example. Cary's McArthur Park, Southwick, Upchurch farms, etc. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Schools are not guaranteed in wake county. However, some neighborhoods historically (some for past 5+ years with top schools like Davis Drive, Green Hope) had no changes so far due to re-assignment (no guarantee though, they review every year). Example. Cary's McArthur Park, Southwick, Upchurch farms, etc. Good luck!
Macarthur Park was reassigned to Laurel Park (year round) for the upcoming school year and the opt-out is a school in Raleigh. There are very few neighborhoods in Cary that feel safe from reassignment. Highcroft and the Reserve seem relatively safe from being assigned out of Highcroft Elementary, Weatherstone, Glenkirk and Highland Oaks probably won't be reassigned out of Weatherstone Elementary or West Cary Middle, Carpenter Village is probably pretty secure at Carpenter Elementary, but even in these neighborhoods the reassignment issue is a concern.

ETA: Greatschools.net and ncreportcard.com suggest that many of the schools in Cary do better than the Leesville schools in terms of test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary