Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 03:32 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,708,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
That is true! I have done it before. It is not pedestrian friendly at all. Or to walk from Southpoint to the shopping center with Michael's. It's a joke. You can traverse a grassy hill or walk in the driving lane and dart the cars.
That hill is the worst when lugging a bike. Would it have been so hard for them to have made a connection.

The developer totally half-assed the sidewalk by like 30':

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 03:41 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times
Quote:
That is true! I have done it before. It is not pedestrian friendly at all. Or to walk from Southpoint to the shopping center with Michael's. It's a joke. You can traverse a grassy hill or walk in the driving lane and dart the cars.

The Nordstrom at Southpoint is always so empty when I go into it. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed sometime in the future.
There is definitely a sidewalk to get from the mall/promenade section to the Michaels/Tomato Jakes/ Target section and the entirety of and in both directions of Renaissance. It's for sure not the most direct route but it is a designated pedestrian path that does intersect the ATT.

Now if you're talking pedestrian-friendly paths to get from the Moes/Nordstrom Rack/Best Buy shopping center to the mall (ie..crossing Fayetteville)..... different story.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:45 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
There is definitely a sidewalk to get from the mall/promenade section to the Michaels/Tomato Jakes/ Target section and the entirety of Renaissance. It's for sure not the most direct route but it is a designated pedestrian path that does intersect the ATT.

Now if you're talking pedestrian-friendly paths to get from the Moes/Nordstrom Rack/Best Buy shopping center to the mall (ie..crossing Fayetteville)..... different story.
No, I'm talking about exactly what DPK shows in his second picture - the HH Greg/Michael's shopping center.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:57 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times
Quote:
No, I'm talking about exactly what DPK shows in his second picture - the HH Greg/Michael's shopping center.
Here is that exact same spot on google maps

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9039...=en&authuser=0

....look about 100 yards south from where DPK's picture's spot where the ATT crosses Renaissance. There is greenway/sidewalk on both sides of Renaissance meant for pedestrians to walk into that very shopping center. Not "part of" the ATT and not as direct as the steep cut-through in DPK's picture; but definitely a manageable, pedestrian-focused, connection to the mall and the ATT.

I once had a bit of a thing with a female who lived in Darby Glen; we'd walk that path on occaision.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:58 PM

356 posts, read 121,030 times
I love malls

Old 05-07-2020, 04:00 PM

356 posts, read 121,030 times
Crabtree will never close. It's a miracle to ever find a parking spot

Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM

654 posts, read 361,703 times
Definitely unfortunate. In my view, if you want something instantly, you don't order on Amazon and wait for it, even a few hours: you go to the store and buy it.

I went to Northgate in 1995 and if I recall right, one of its anchors was new- Hecht's? Surprising to see it close, although I guess 25 years is an eternity in a mall's lifetime.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
You basically have to truck it across a giant sea of parking however to get the the "outdoor" part of Southpoint though. It's not exactly pedestrian friendly.
The American Tobacco trail comes out right opposite the movie theater at Southpoint. It's hardly a sea of parking there. It's 350 feet to the theater and ZinBurger. Not too hard to walk or ride your bike that distance.

https://goo.gl/maps/sns5t133V3r65TiKA

I don't think of the shopping center with Michaels as Southpoint. I think it has another name and we are talking about malls, right? Ah, looked it up — it's "Renaissance Village".

Last edited by poppydog; 05-07-2020 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 04:25 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Here is that exact same spot on google maps

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9039...=en&authuser=0

....look about 100 yards south from where DPK's picture's spot where the ATT crosses Renaissance. There is greenway/sidewalk on both sides of Renaissance meant for pedestrians to walk into that very shopping center. Not "part of" the ATT and not as direct as the steep cut-through in DPK's picture; but definitely a manageable, pedestrian-focused, connection to the mall and the ATT.

I once had a bit of a thing with a female who lived in Darby Glen; we'd walk that path on occaision.
Coming from Southpoint Mall to go to the Michael's shopping center, there is no direct path. So yes, I would use that sidewalk which meant I had to traverse the large parking lot of Southpoint to get to the sidewalk. Walk down the sidewalk and then when I got to the Michael's shopping center, I would have to walk to where the cars enter the shopping center, cross over to the other side and walk up that sidewalk and then traverse that parking lot to get to Michaels. Or I can go a more direct route and walk up the grass. I have done it several times, and it just not a very pleasant walk because you are walking in the parking lot for much of it.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,085,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's not true about Southpoint, rnc. The American Tobacco Trail goes right to and through the Southpoint area. It's easy to get to via bike riding or walking.
Anyone can access anywhere by foot or by bike if they had the time. I said that it wasn't reasonably accessed by foot, and I stand by that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary