Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 01:01 PM

21 posts, read 20,478 times

Advertisements

With all things going on, planning for a trip like Tail of the dragon will not be possible.

When things open up, what are some back roads trips around here to enjoy? may be within an hour drive or so from Cary/Raleigh area?

As with any of the back roads, idea is to enjoy the trip without going too fast. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles. America's most exciting 11 miles.

https://roadtrippers.com/tail-of-the-dragon/

Last edited by aparan; 05-10-2020 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: heading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 02:25 PM

853 posts, read 587,529 times
I've driven the dragon and can assure you that there is NOTHING within an hour of Raleigh/Cary that can compare.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,840 times
Yeah, no.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,182 times
There are some roads around Harris Lake that Mini enthusiasts enjoy. I wish I could tell you the exact route, but i don’t remember....maybe you can find it somewhere. Certainly not Tail of the Dragon but fun for taking curves then speeding up on straightaways.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:31 AM

340 posts, read 295,894 times
Rt 80 (devils whip) in Marion nc. Take it up to the BRP. Easy day trip.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 AM

NC 80 from Marion to the BRP is definitely a fun drive, but it's over 200 miles and three hours from Raleigh. The OP said he was looking for something within an hour of here.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:00 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparan View Post
When things open up, what are some back roads trips around here to enjoy? may be within an hour drive or so from Cary/Raleigh area?
You should have been here 20-30 years ago. At the time, a co-worker had a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 and used to talk about how much fun it was driving out Davis Drive to RTP or taking the short curves on Holly Springs near Ten-Ten. Too many lights, density, etc now.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,052 times
The "Flint Hill Ramble" is pretty nice and a lot less far away than Deals Gap.

It's in the Uwharrie Mountains so it's about an hour and a half away.

https://www.go-north-carolina.com/Flint-Hill-Ramble/

There are also some other relatively curvy/scenic roads in the Uwharries. I say *relatively* because it's nothing like what you'll find in Western NC, but, well, you know. The Uwharries seem to be something of an underrated/underappreciated asset that gets lost between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the beaches.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:00 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparan View Post
With all things going on, planning for a trip like Tail of the dragon will not be possible.

As with any of the back roads, idea is to enjoy the trip without going too fast. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap with 318 curves in 11 miles. America's most exciting 11 miles.

https://roadtrippers.com/tail-of-the-dragon/
Just go out in the country with a GPS, turn it off, and drive around.

I used to live in Sanford, and all the side-roads off of 42 between Sanford and Fuquay (Cokesbury and that area) were fun.
Also, a LOT of fun is Hwy 42 going west, from Sanford toward Pittsboro and on to Bear Creek.
And all the side roads that run off of that.

And then there is the area near Uhwarrie Nat'l Forest. Get off the main-ish highways like 24/27, and go into some of the back roads connecting between 24/27 and 49.

Drive around, get lost, and when you've had enough, either try to find your way home, or turn on your GPS then, and find your way home.

There is a lot of beautiful roads in NC. I just named 3 or 4 areas, but you can litterally go in any direction and find stuff. Just get away from the populated areas and see what's out there.

Oh, and out near Saxapahaw is another great area. I'm not sure if they are open, but it's not too terribly far to Mapleview Farms for a stop for icecream on the rocking porch!

Old 05-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Here's a map of the best driving roads. Be patient, it takes time to load. Can't say I agree with all these rides, but take it for what it's worth.

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/moto...lina?filter1=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary