Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 06:18 PM

628 posts, read 399,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I don't see how cancer and heart disease and diabetes is remotely comparable. It's pretty unlikely (albeit possible) for cancer to be passed from person to person, and heart disease and diabetes are mainly influenced by diet, exercise, and/or genes.
Again, you totally missed, or ignored, my point. I wasn't comparing them to covid-19. The discussion was in regard to "living in fear of something happening", and your assertion that people's behavior shouldn't be guided by fear of contracting the virus. In that regard, do you think people's behavior (i.e. diet and exercise should be guided by fear of cancer, heart disease or diabetes?

Quote:
I don't like being around smokers, but I think restaurants should be able to choose for themselves whether or not to allow people to smoke indoors. I remember when NC restaurants had separate sections, smoking and non-smoking. If this was still the case, I wouldn't eat at restaurants that allowed smoking (or at least, didn't have a well-divided smoking area). I have different thoughts about theaters and airlines, but that's getting way beyond the scope of this thread.
Its not about "not liking" to be around smokers, its about second hand smoke causing serious, and even fatal, health problems. Kind of like contracting covid-19.

I am astounded that in 2020 anyone would think separate smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants are ok. I guess I'm just banging my head against the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 08:23 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Please, people, please keep up with the proper hand washing.
Some people, adults, are learning how to wash their hands correctly for what might be the first time, ever. Have they grasped this complicated skill yet? One can only hope.

Meanwhile I'm washing my hands like a surgeon ready to do a heart transplant. I even purchased some antibacterial/antimicrobial chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser, which I use when I'm going to go grocery shopping or run errands.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:09 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Some people, adults, are learning how to wash their hands correctly for what might be the first time, ever. Have they grasped this complicated skill yet? One can only hope.

Meanwhile I'm washing my hands like a surgeon ready to do a heart transplant. I even purchased some antibacterial/antimicrobial chlorhexidine gluconate skin cleanser, which I use when I'm going to go grocery shopping or run errands.
Some people drive me utterly crazy with their inability to grasp how to wash their hands. I've seen people flip the handle up in a restroom, stick one hand under the water for a barely a couple seconds, then turn the tap off.

Like.... man I'm pretty sure your hands are now even dirtier for touching the faucet handle for that pointless display of de-germing yourself.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:18 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Took a road trip today. First time I've been more than one zip code away from home in months. I drove up to Nahunta Pork Outlet near Pikeville for a haul of country link sausage. They offered call ahead for curbside pickup too I packed lunch,so no stops for food along the way. Nice little trip. Nice to be back home.
Attn. Jkgourmet...I got your p-email but there’s a problem replying...I think Nahunta has Italian sausage, and baby backs...plus much much more. Check their website. Nahunta Pork Center in Pikeville...or give them a call. They also have a outlet at the State Farmer’s Market, but it’s temp.close due to Kovid-19

Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM

807 posts, read 690,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Again, you totally missed, or ignored, my point. I wasn't comparing them to covid-19. The discussion was in regard to "living in fear of something happening", and your assertion that people's behavior shouldn't be guided by fear of contracting the virus. In that regard, do you think people's behavior (i.e. diet and exercise) should be guided by fear of cancer, heart disease or diabetes?
I think that people's behavior should be guided by what they consider acceptable risks worth taking in everyday life. If this doesn't make sense, I don't know what will. If someone is insanely afraid of cancer, heart disease, or diabetes, he would be at the gym literally 24/7, never ever eat fast food/drink soda, never have a drop of alcohol, never sit in front of the TV...you get the idea. However, I think most of us would consider this behavior to be pretty irrational. It is one thing for a person to do things in life to increase his chance of x happening or reduce his risk of y happening (go to the gym a few times a week, have a salad with every meal, etc), but something else entirely when that person's entire life revolves around an irrational fear of something happening. This is what I am seeing with covid-19.

Example...I realize that fast food is not optimal for long-term health. However, that does not stop me from grabbing some Bojangles or Cook-Out once or twice a month. I choose to do this because I have deemed the risk of myself developing heart disease from these infrequent activities to be very low, as I eat pretty healthy for the rest of the month.

Another example...I wear a mask and sometimes gloves when I go to the grocery store/hardware store/etc. I do this because there will likely be other people in the store who aren't wearing a mask, don't have good personal hygiene habits, and/or have covid-19 and don't know it. However, once I get back in my car, I take my mask and gloves off, clean my hands with hand sanitizer, and go about the rest of my day. If I go through the Bojangles drive-thru on the way back home, I probably won't be wearing a mask because there's very little contact between me and the person swiping my card and handing me my food (and if there's any covid-19 literally on the food, a mask or gloves won't do anything). Once they hand me my food, I sanitize my hands again and keep living life. I choose to do this because I have deemed the level of risk of catching covid-19 to be mitigated by my efforts, and I don't spend the rest of my day shut in my room with a mask and gloves on, consumed by fear.

Quote:
Its not about "not liking" to be around smokers, its about second hand smoke causing serious, and even fatal, health problems. Kind of like contracting covid-19.

I am astounded that in 2020 anyone would think separate smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants are ok. I guess I'm just banging my head against the wall.
Again, if someone is that afraid of something happening that has a reasonable chance of happening, that person should make the choice to avoid that thing. If they're afraid of second hand smoke, they shouldn't be going to restaurants that allow smoking. I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer. I've been to restaurants where smoking is prohibited (due to NC law), but would still sometimes catch a whiff of cigarette smoke from someone just outside the door (due to the smell wafting in when someone else opens the door), or even just because the scent is on their clothes. Sometimes you do the best you can do, and it still happens.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:14 PM

628 posts, read 399,608 times
Quote:
I think that people's behavior should be guided by what they consider acceptable risks worth taking in everyday life. If this doesn't make sense, I don't know what will. If someone is insanely afraid of cancer, heart disease, or diabetes, he would be at the gym literally 24/7, never ever eat fast food/drink soda, never have a drop of alcohol, never sit in front of the TV...you get the idea. However, I think most of us would consider this behavior to be pretty irrational. It is one thing for a person to do things in life to increase his chance of x happening or reduce his risk of y happening (go to the gym a few times a week, have a salad with every meal, etc), but something else entirely when that person's entire life revolves around an irrational fear of something happening. This is what I am seeing with covid-19.
I guess we'll have to disagree about the definition of "someone entire life revolving around an irrational fear". I think very few people fall into that category. Most people are taking what I would consider to be reasonable precautions. Are some people going overboard to avoid contracting COVID-19? Of course. Some people go overboard about lots of things, including the avoidance of heart disease, etc. Then again, some people are going overboard the other way in regard to COVID-19, and partaking in reckless activity in order to prove they won't live their lives in "fear" or have their "rights" trampled.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I've read through all of this. And I understand the concern and fear that is expressed by a lot of you.

I admit that I'm going out into the world more than many of you. I give blood, grocery shop for neighbors, and hang in our backyard having cocktails with 1-3 other neighbors, all sitting at 6 feet away. I have gone to Home Depot garden center for flowers (that was a scary experience - no social distancing, no mask on the vast majority of people). I'm sure some of you would think I'm being stupid and taking risks.

But here's the thing that I can't understand: So many are saying they are not intending to leave their homes until there is a vaccine. I'm unaware of any reliable source that says a vaccine will be available in less than 12-18 months. So are you REALLY going to not leave your house except for truly essential items for over a year????

Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Very good point! I don't understand how some people can stay at home
and inside. I guess they are well off financially and don't have to worry
about things? If that were me and I called in saying I'm afraid to venture
out because of a virus, I would be told no problem. Stay home and find
another job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But here's the thing that I can't understand: So many are saying they are not intending to leave their homes until there is a vaccine. I'm unaware of any reliable source that says a vaccine will be available in less than 12-18 months. So are you REALLY going to not leave your house except for truly essential items for over a year????

Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 PM

125 posts, read 106,058 times
Default Martyrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I hope that wearing masks when you feel sick catches on. Much better than the American norm of coming to work sick and spreading it to everyone.
This, 100%. I've always had the, uh, privilege of working with martyrs: people who pride themselves on coming to work sick. They'll brag that they're at the office when they have the flu, when they have a 102 degree fever, and they try to make you feel less devoted an employee for wanting to stay at home when you're sick. I hope that widespread attitude never returns to the workplace after this.

What's the first thing I'll do? Go to church. Second thing? Well, I had a dream last night that I went out to a local coffee shop for an iced vanilla latte and in the dream I was sooo excited about it. I've been making my lattes at home, and I guess they're just kind of so-so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary