Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
People always miss the "free speech has limits" thing. Same with all our constitutional rights.
Correct. That is all I am saying.

Our right to free speech doesn't include the right to say what you want and keep your job.

The woman in question espouses a position that hearkens back to images from an America most Americans don't view in any positive manner, while being employed by a school district that is Majority Minority and does so on a non Anonymous Social Media site during the largest set of civil unrest in more than a generation.....the stupidity is astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

The woman in question espouses a position that hearkens back to images from an America most Americans don't view in any positive manner, while being employed by a school district that is Majority Minority and does so on a non Anonymous Social Media site during the largest set of civil unrest in more than a generation.....the stupidity is astounding.
Are we talking about the bus driver's Facebook comment, or something different? If so, her full name was right there.

Problem is we have no way of knowing if her comment was in any way related to those images you refer to. It's very possible she just thought spraying protesters with water is a good and safe way to get them to disperse. She probably should have thought it through, but we're assuming that she has a solid handle on American history when it's very possible she doesn't.

They will fire her, because they are better off dealing with the potential legal ramifications than the public outcry if they don't.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
People always miss the "free speech has limits" thing. Same with all our constitutional rights.

Yep and someone felt free to ruin that persons livelihood cause they didn't agree. Such a great country we live in. We don't even need the 1st amendment anymore with all these convenient avenues to control speech. We just need to coin a new term for this McCarthyism in our modern age.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Obviously this will never happen, but the best thing for this country would be to do away with social media completely.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Yep and someone felt free to ruin that persons livelihood cause they didn't agree. Such a great country we live in. We don't even need the 1st amendment anymore with all these convenient avenues to control speech. We just need to coin a new term for this McCarthyism in our modern age.
LOL "McCarthyism".

How about this for the new term for a Modern age? Probably doesn't fit on a bumper sticker quite the same way yours does.

Don't long for a return of the actions most commonly associated with the American Apartheid in a public, non anonymous forum if you hope to keep your job as a bus driver in a Majority Minority school district?

#MRAA

Old 06-03-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
LOL "McCarthyism".

How about this for the new term for a Modern age? Probably doesn't fit on a bumper sticker quite the same way yours does.

Don't long for a return of the actions most commonly associated with the American Apartheid in a public, non anonymous forum if you hope to keep your job as a bus driver in a Majority Minority school district?

#MRAA

Step 1) Target a group of people that are causing "all the problems in our fine society" because of how they "think".
Step 2) Sanction them in some form or another
Step 3) ?

But hey a cool hash tag makes it sound better. I am certainly afraid but for another reason.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Step 1) Target a group of people that are causing "all the problems in our fine society" because of how they "think".
Step 2) Sanction them in some form or another
Step 3) ?

But hey a cool hash tag makes it sound better. I am certainly afraid but for another reason.
How can you claim a group (which group are you referring to, racist mouth breathers who pine for the "good old days when them people knew their place or they got the hose and dogs"?) was "targeted" when the focus/spotlight they received they brought on themselves? That's akin to saying cops targeted an arsonist when the arsonist was caught with the gas can and matches in their hand. They weren't targeted...they outed themselves.

If you're a racist and don't want to lose your job because of how you think......don't say the quiet part out loud in a manner that is personally identifiable.

https://myworkplace.wcpss.net/forms/social-media.pdf

From WCPSS' own policy on Social Media use

Quote:
Do not make any comments to others in cyberspace that you would not make face-to-face. In particular, do not demean, harass, insult, or intimidate others.

Remember that under Board Policy 2305/3005/4005, the Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct, and the associated Regulations & Procedures, you are expected to serve as an example and role model to students, and conduct yourself in a manner that protects your integrity and/or reputations, and that of the school system at all times.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:23 AM

GVoR I just want to be clear on what you are advocating with your "#MRAA" hash tag. You might not be aware that what you are promoting could be construed in a way you might not intend Any clarification on your intent is this matter would be welcome. How are you going to identify and target racists with your fear based methods?

Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
GVoR I just want to be clear on what you are advocating with your "#MRAA" hash tag. You might not be aware that what you are promoting could be construed in a way you might not intend

I am not advocating violence towards anyone. When I say "Make Racists Afraid Again" I'm saying make them afraid in a civil consequence/discourse sense, not a life threaten/physical well being sense. Make them afraid to openly spout their nonsense because their nonsense can be logically and factually countered through dialogue.

I think my posting history makes it abundantly clear (go back to my posts on the Civil War Statue discussions) that any action I promote remains squarely within the law and I have no time or inclination for anyone who attempts to achieve their goals by going outside the law to do so; I didn't support the statue destroyers then (even though I support their belief that the statues shouldn't be in front of Town Halls and Courthouses) and I don't support the agent provocateurs (whatever their affiliations are) now with their acts of destruction. Brown Shirts going around beating up racists is clearly something I am not supportive of nor am I promoting.

I am speaking from a "Paradox of Tolerance"/ Karl Popper construct.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:40 AM

GVoR I am glad to hear you aren't advocating violence. I wanted to make the point that people get caught up in the moment and might make a mistake and that maybe a little compassion might be what the world needs. Instead of firing/suspending an employee, maybe we can council them on their mistake and how it might be viewed by others. I hope and suspect that will happen in this case maybe not?

I have found myself listening to moe factz podcast , a gentleman out of durham, that has helped me understand a lot of thing I never understood growing up in the culture I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary