Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 07:49 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
It's histrionics.

I think most lawyers, beyond the 1-800 ambulance chasers, would disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I wasn’t planning on it. I’ve never understood how elite public schools with admissions requirements like they have in places like NYC and DC are even legal.

I agree, it is odd!

Old 07-16-2020, 09:00 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I think most lawyers, beyond the 1-800 ambulance chasers, would disagree with you.
I'm not sure what you're point is, but you're not going to need a lawyer. If you're talking about wills, your lawyer would remind you that you needed one anyway, long before covid. So basically, those teachers are saying they are irresponsible. But whatever.

https://www.ncleg.gov/Sessions/2019/...PDF/H118v8.pdf

Old 07-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I assumed (maybe incorrectly?) you thought my point about teachers updating wills was, as you called it, histrionics.

Was your point actually about the school boards in TN forcing parents to sign waivers?

Honestly looking for clarification so I can answer accordingly.

ETA - You edited your post while I was replying to the previous version.

Sure, I guess, it shows some "irresponsible" teachers. But most people don't update a living will without a "Life Changing Event". So you're sorta off base there given, I think the most of evidence shows that in person schooling, in a raging COVID environment, is a "life changing event" compared to say what teaching in person was in January. And of course you don't need a lawyer to update a living will. I mentioned lawyers because they, in their realm of expertise/advisory, would probably advise any client to update their will when something in life changes.

You seemingly focused on the waiver portion of my post, which, was really a tree, in the proverbial forest.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I assumed (maybe incorrectly?) you thought my point about teachers updating wills was, as you called it, histrionics.

Was your point actually about the school boards in TN forcing parents to sign waivers?

Honestly looking for clarification so I can answer accordingly.

ETA - You edited your post while I was replying to the previous version.

Sure, I guess, it shows some "irresponsible" teachers. But most people don't update a living will without a "Life Changing Event". So you're sorta off base there given, I think the most of evidence shows that in person schooling, in a raging COVID environment, is a "life changing event" compared to say what teaching in person was in January. And of course you don't need a lawyer to update a living will. I mentioned lawyers because they, in their realm of expertise/advisory, would probably advise any client to update their will when something in life changes or updated wills.

You seemingly focused on the waiver portion of my post, which, was really a tree, in the proverbial forest.
The point about the wills is definitely histrionics. You update a will when you have a child or divorce, no when you go back to work or think you're more likely to die. If you're in that position, it's because you procrastinated. But people are putting that out there as histrionics. To imply that somehow teachers going to work is like a draftee going to war. Meanwhile, daycare teachers have been going to work this whole time with very little issues.

No, what's going on is the activists and organizers that have taken over the NCAE and DAE are campaigning to stop schools from reopening claiming to represent teachers. They are making hysterical claims to advance their perceived interests while ignoring the greater good for children and their families.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The point about the wills is definitely histrionics.

Because you don't think teachers will be at an increased risk from in person schooling (in this current reality we are living in)?

Old 07-16-2020, 09:22 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
The point about the wills is definitely histrionics. You update a will when you have a child or divorce, no when you go back to work or think you're more likely to die. If you're in that position, it's because you procrastinated. But people are putting that out there as histrionics. To imply that somehow teachers going to work is like a draftee going to war. Meanwhile, daycare teachers have been going to work this whole time with very little issues.

No, what's going on is the activists and organizers that have taken over the NCAE and DAE are campaigning to stop schools from reopening claiming to represent teachers. They are making hysterical claims to advance their perceived interests while ignoring the greater good for children and their families.
People procrastinate wills.

Daycare aged children are far less likely to transmit the virus than high school aged students. Plus, daycares typically don’t have 100-200 adults working in the building. Also, the news from Israel this week is a major issue.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Because you don't think teachers will be at an increased risk from in person schooling (in this current reality we are living in)?
Increased risk vs. staying at home? Of course they will. Just like the people who keeps us fed, housed, and safe. Just like the people who take care of younger children. Why do teachers deserve special treatment at the expense of children and less privileged people? Teachers have defined themselves as some sort of protected class and they do so on the backs of less privileged people who are the ones bearing the brunt of this pandemic.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
People procrastinate wills.

Daycare aged children are far less likely to transmit the virus than high school aged students. Plus, daycares typically don’t have 100-200 adults working in the building. Also, the news from Israel this week is a major issue.
There's no plan to reopen high schools in Durham. The number of adults in the building is irrelevant. Schools are much larger buildings and have the same or less adults in a room. There's no reason elementary schools can't be run like preschools. Also, teachers don't have to rock children to sleep and change their diapers. I haven't' seen any evidence differentiating the risk of preschool aged children vs. elementary school aged children.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Increased risk vs. staying at home? Of course they will. Just like the people who keeps us fed, housed, and safe. Just like the people who take care of younger children. Why do teachers deserve special treatment at the expense of children and less privileged people? Teachers have defined themselves as some sort of protected class and they do so on the backs of less privileged people who are the ones bearing the brunt of this pandemic.

No an increase in risk versus the risks associated with their jobs say between 1919 and January 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary