Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 02:47 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Histrionic:"exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention".

Histrionic and hysterical begin with the same sound but are not necessarily related. They convey a subtly different meaning as evidenced by the dictionary definition above. And I think "I need to make a will because I'm going to work in a schoooool" does qualify as histrionic; reasonable minds can differ. But let's move on. And I never said you were living in fear....I'm not one of those "your mask wearing defines your fear" people. There are people who have never stopped working who are coming into contact with far more people on a regular basis and again - there's been no "OMG if you work in this profession you better watch out because you're clearly at higher risk" from ANY occupation. Now time will tell with schools. To me it doesn't make sense we had to close in March with hardly and cases and now we are spiralling out of control and we're opening. But it is what it is. Students and teachers want to get back and frankly some kids lives depend on it. We all have a choice. Teachers too. And there is no doubt we will be all remote before the winter season gets underway anyway. Frankly I will be happy to have the decision made for me.
Oh I know you haven't, that point was general in nature (given the whole "scared people in masks should do us all a favor and stay home mmmmmmkkkkkaay and let the rest of us get back to livin'" that is common on this sub). Ironically, Ive been a better capitalist during COVID than I am under normal times so even with a mask, I'm doing my part to help the system economically and health wise.

The graph that shows cases when we closed schools compared to where we are on the case curve now is mondo bizarro.... and the Tangerine Dream is pushing for, and I quote today's presser "....when he says open, he means open and full. Kids being able to attend each and everyday at their school...science should not stand in the way of this"

I respect everyone's choice, teachers and parents (less so kids....because well they're kids and there is a reason why they don't have the same say in things that adults do). Team GVoR has made their choice. There's going to be a virtual classroom in my home with my daughter and a couple of her friends doing whatever the Virtual Academy ends up giving them with me in the next room trying to help my client sell more drugs that people don't need.

Life in CE FTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 02:50 PM

805 posts, read 524,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Virtual Academy registrations by grade (as of yesterday):

https://twitter.com/WCPSS/status/1283424604820852737

38k total enrollments as of today, and sure to be many more after the open house tonight.
The more the better!

Ideally, everyone who can do VA, will do VA. And by can, I don’t mean making huge sacrifices. I just mean it works for their family, and the have them means to facilitate it effectively.

That will free up space for all of us in the building, and possibly make an every other week rotation possible.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
The more the better!

Ideally, everyone who can do VA, will do VA. And by can, I don’t mean making huge sacrifices. I just mean it works for their family, and the have them means to facilitate it effectively.

That will free up space for all of us in the building, and possibly make an every other week rotation possible.
I was wondering if they would go to every other week rotation if enough people do V.A.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:05 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I was wondering if they would go to every other week rotation if enough people do V.A.
I don't see how that would happen. The pool of teachers is essentially fixed and VA classes aren't unlimited in size, so once the proportion of VA vs. Plan B is known, they will allocate teachers accordingly. So if more students opt for VA, they'll pull teachers out of physical schools and just have fewer classes still going on the 1/3 schedule.

Example:

Elementary school has four 3rd grade classes of 18 kids each...25% of them opt for VA, so one teacher does VA, and the other three teachers handling three classrooms of Plan B, rotating 6 kids per week.

If instead 50% of kids opt for VA, they'll have to dedicate two teachers to VA and you'll have only two in the building, still rotating 6 kids each week on a 1/3 schedule.

If 75% of kids choose VA, you're down to one teacher in the building, handling 18 kids, still on a 6-per-week schedule.

Obviously I used nice round numbers to keep the math easy, so yes, between those round numbers there would be some variation on total kids per Plan B classroom, but not significant enough to be able to bump up to alternating weeks.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I don't see how that would happen. The pool of teachers is essentially fixed and VA classes aren't unlimited in size, so once the proportion of VA vs. Plan B is known, they will allocate teachers accordingly. So if more students opt for VA, they'll pull teachers out of physical schools and just have fewer classes still going on the 1/3 schedule.

Example:

Elementary school has four 3rd grade classes of 18 kids each...25% of them opt for VA, so one teacher does VA, and the other three teachers handling three classrooms of Plan B, rotating 6 kids per week.

If instead 50% of kids opt for VA, they'll have to dedicate two teachers to VA and you'll have only two in the building, still rotating 6 kids each week on a 1/3 schedule.

If 75% of kids choose VA, you're down to one teacher in the building, handling 18 kids, still on a 6-per-week schedule.

Obviously I used nice round numbers to keep the math easy, so yes, between those round numbers there would be some variation on total kids per Plan B classroom, but not significant enough to be able to bump up to alternating weeks.
You're right. Finite number of teachers rules the day.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:54 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Did I just hear correctly that they have not yet chosen the tool they will be using for online school, with only a month to go before start?

Old 07-16-2020, 03:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Did I just hear correctly that they have not yet chosen the tool they will be using for online school, with only a month to go before start?
I'd like to assume they've chosen one and are training, but haven't made it public. I hope.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:07 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'd like to assume they've chosen one and are training, but haven't made it public. I hope.
I hope so (otherwise what have they been doing for the last 4 months). It was a poor way for them to answer the question. [Not to mention my pet peeve of reading the slides verbatim.]

Old 07-16-2020, 06:04 PM

From N&O twitter:

Interim @chccs Supt. Jim Causby says @WCPSS
Supt. Cathy Moore told him today she will probably recommend to Wake County school board next week that they switch to all virtual schools for reopening (Plan C). Wake is now set to use Plan B. #nced #ncpol #wakepol #coronavirus

Old 07-16-2020, 06:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Edit: Twingles beat me to it

The one (and possibly only) good thing about Plan B is it provides options for both sides of the table. There are going to be a lot of really unhappy people if they go to Plan C.

As much as I'd rather Plan B (we were going to sign up for it), there is just no way on earth it is ever going to work. Ever.

I really hope if they do Plan C that they do an orientation week or two where the kids can come in and meet the teacher and/or other kids in the class in person.

Last edited by m378; 07-16-2020 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary