Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Close down all schools, and contract out to a company that provides video learning such as Khan Academy. No more reason to pay expensive property taxes when you don't need schools, associated building maintenance, and teachers on staff.

If you still feel the need for teachers, they don't have to be local, and that can be contracted out as well to either a large staffing company located in a lower COL area or individual contracts that are bid on each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 03:36 PM

347 posts, read 522,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Close down all schools, and contract out to a company that provides video learning such as Khan Academy. No more reason to pay expensive property taxes when you don't need schools, associated building maintenance, and teachers on staff.

If you still feel the need for teachers, they don't have to be local, and that can be contracted out as well to either a large staffing company located in a lower COL area or individual contracts that are bid on each year.
I prefer not to have the lowest bidder teaching my son, thank you very much. Not to mention your "solution" puts 95,000+ NC teachers out of work. That'll be wonderful for the economy.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You've gone off the rails man - I'm sorry. I was just answering a question based on the information that has been put out by WCPSS, that's it and that's all. My views on WCPSS have absolutely nothing to do with this. I apologize that I used wording that you disagree with.

This is my last comment on this.

You're right. He has gone off the rails. He has put himself on a pedestal. What has humored me, though, after reading through his posts on differing topics in other threads I've figured out he really doesn't know what he wants others to believe he does. He's just a copy and paste poster and when proven wrong will add you to his ignore list so he will never have to be proven wrong again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I agree. I think since it's so bad we should close down everything. Enough of the "well, if everyone would wear a mask this would go away" garbage. The one person I see without a mask in a store isn't causing the rapid spread. Three months into it and now a mask mandate? Shut it all down. Close all businesses, grocery stores, gas stations, schools, public safety and admit only critical patients into hospitals. If the virus is so serious and really has nothing to do with politics or enforcing a mask mandate has nothing to compliance I'm all for a total shut-down. I can survive just fine.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I prefer not to have the lowest bidder teaching my son, thank you very much. Not to mention your "solution" puts 95,000+ NC teachers out of work. That'll be wonderful for the economy.
Yeah, well, welcome to my world. Adapt or become irrelevant.

What I suggested is actually something a well known Harvard professor is suggesting. You don't have to pick the lowest bidder, but just the fact that there is bidding levels the playing field.

Taking taxpayer money to fund an employment scheme is not efficient, especially at a government level. Imagine what the economy would do if folks had thousands of dollars a year back in their hands?

Why not mandate all sorts of jobs go back to humans in that case? Like the milk man, or paperboy, or etc. etc.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:43 PM

598 posts, read 333,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I agree. I think since it's so bad we should close down everything. Enough of the "well, if everyone would wear a mask this would go away" garbage. The one person I see without a mask in a store isn't causing the rapid spread. Three months into it and now a mask mandate? Shut it all down. Close all businesses, grocery stores, gas stations, schools, public safety and admit only critical patients into hospitals. If the virus is so serious and really has nothing to do with politics or enforcing a mask mandate has nothing to compliance I'm all for a total shut-down. I can survive just fine.

Do you think the entire country should do this, or only North Carolina?

Old 07-22-2020, 04:59 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Imagine if we shutdown when the cases/fatality rates and hospital levels required it vs March 16th 2020.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:01 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,542 times
Just read that there'll be another application window for the VA from July 27 to July 29 to either enroll, unenroll, or switch from semester to full year. Last I heard it was at almost 50%. Will be interesting to see if this latest development will have any effect.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:44 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Just read that there'll be another application window for the VA from July 27 to July 29 to either enroll, unenroll, or switch from semester to full year. Last I heard it was at almost 50%. Will be interesting to see if this latest development will have any effect.
Correct. Think I saw enrollment was up to 42%.

There's a Nextdoor thread in our "neighborhood" keying off some guy in Heritage creating a petition to force WCPSS to go back to the original Plan B.

My wife and I have been having a good chuckle at much of the "discussion" (which the reopening of the VA enrollment is part of) that is occurring. Not so much the desire to get back to the original Plan B. I know that works for many people. More the troglodytic points being made by some of the posters.

Dios Mio

Last edited by GVoR; 07-22-2020 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-22-2020, 06:02 PM

805 posts, read 524,498 times
VA enrollment was up to 49% when it closed the first time!

Old 07-22-2020, 06:13 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,266 times
Why is it ok for other “essential” workers to go to work? They are told to wear masks, distance when possible, wash hands and surfaces frequently...but teachers cannot manage to do the same with only 1/3 of their students in the classroom at a time?

I work in a bank, I handle piles of money, bags of coin, IDs and debit cards, pens, papers of all sorts. I do this while wearing a mask, distancing from people, plexiglass shield between me and customers, and I clean surfaces continually, as well as washing hands almost every 10 min. I have a choice to either go to work or quit. Simple as that. I choose to go, and do my utmost best to keep myself and others safe. I do not see why teachers can’t do the same as any other essential worker, figure out how to work safely or quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary