Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 10:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

yeah I mean social isolation can be as dangerous as the virus for some people. The kicker is this mom is letting people from outside the area visit her, and I think that's the final straw for the other kids in the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 11:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Ahh, that's too bad. Nice of your kids and the other friends to be in solidarity with the isolated only child, but I agree that enough is enough. I have been letting my teens social distance with one friend at a time (usually the same one friend who is also an only and whose mom is also anxious, but not that anxious). They have seen a couple of other friends, but only once or twice and my teens are both pretty anxious themselves so are pretty careful about social distance and masks and hand sanitizer.

Maybe you can suggest to your kid that they could social distance over at the isolated friend's house? Maybe just do a drive-by and everyone stay in their cars if mom is really that anxious? Or y'know they could invite the friend to get together and if mom says no, then mom says no and she is the one who is socially isolating the kid, not her friends.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Maybe you can suggest to your kid that they could social distance over at the isolated friend's house? Maybe just do a drive-by and everyone stay in their cars if mom is really that anxious? Or y'know they could invite the friend to get together and if mom says no, then mom says no and she is the one who is socially isolating the kid, not her friends.

Yeah I have pointed this out and that's what they are going to do - they are planning on getting together at one girl's house and all will be invited and they're just gonna leave it at that. I'm not sure she will say "but guys you can't together because I can't come" so hopefully there are no issues. And I told my DD that this will hopefully spark a convo between mother and daughter about this whole situation. BTW mom promised girl she could go out once July rolled around. July is almost over

Old 07-24-2020, 09:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
I got this press release in my email this morning about a Duke/CHCCS partnership to come up with data-driven decisions regarding schools. Sounds like it could be a good thing for WCPPS too and thought some of the date nerds around here might find it interesting. Says "The advisory board’s launch in CHCCS is a pilot project funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the team, which is also initiating discussions with Durham Public Schools and Orange County Schools, expects that the model will be expandable to school districts across the nation."

https://dcri.org/covid-scientific-advisory-board/

I've seen one of the leads on the partnership's "COVID Scientific Advisory Board," Daniel Benjamin of Duke, come out in strong support of reopening schools, safely of course, given the data currently available.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-24-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 09:20 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
I follow Charlie Baker (R - Governor of MA) on twitter. He posted a link yesterday to their reopening plans. Granted, MA was in the "early sector" of this virus, while we here have been closer to the "later sector" of the first wave (although I think we would all agree that NC never reached the crushing levels seen in the early states (NY, MA, NJ, CT, WA, CA) or the "later sector" states like TX, AZ, FL, CA).

From what I could tell by the plan he presented on twitter, seems like MA DOE is going full in person with mitigation strategies, which surprised me given A, the general position of the state on most things, and B, because my dad and sister (who still live up here) say life isn't close to back to normal.

Was interesting to juxtapose it to what we are seeing here.

https://t.co/6IanS1EixZ?amp=1

Old 07-24-2020, 09:47 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
CDC's new school guidance - don't think this was posted yet? If so I apologize.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-schools.html

Last edited by m378; 07-24-2020 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I follow Charlie Baker (R - Governor of MA) on twitter. He posted a link yesterday to their reopening plans. Granted, MA was in the "early sector" of this virus, while we here have been closer to the "later sector" of the first wave (although I think we would all agree that NC never reached the crushing levels seen in the early states (NY, MA, NJ, CT, WA, CA) or the "later sector" states like TX, AZ, FL, CA).

From what I could tell by the plan he presented on twitter, seems like MA DOE is going full in person with mitigation strategies, which surprised me given A, the general position of the state on most things, and B, because my dad and sister (who still live up here) say life isn't close to back to normal.

Was interesting to juxtapose it to what we are seeing here.

https://t.co/6IanS1EixZ?amp=1
I have family up there as well, but from what I read yesterday, it seemed like based on the guidelines, districts were leaning towards hybrid models to make it work (reduced bus capacity, distancing, etc). Wouldn't be surprised if they do like all the districts here and scrap the hybrid plan for full remote when they realize how difficult if not impossible the hybrid plan will be. They may have more resources though to be able to make it work. They don't pay those high taxes for nothing!

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07...d-coronavirus/

Old 07-24-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
CDC's new school guidance - don't think this was posted yet? If so I apologize.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ng-schools.htm
Link says Oops!

Old 07-24-2020, 09:56 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Link says Oops!
Oops! Thanks fixed it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-schools.html

Old 07-24-2020, 10:15 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Thanks for the link m378. Overall informative to the say the least.

I guess my only question/issue is as follows. The opening paragraph (COVID-19 and Children) seems to paint the picture for the reader that I would argue is incomplete at best, no?

There are very few countries that left schools open and as such there isn't a ton of real life data to how (or not) effective kids are at transmitting this in a school type setting. Yes, with schools closed, and seeing how it is spreading now, we could collectively say "The data shows that kids aren't the spreaders like we are seeing in care facilities and bars and pool parties etc etc etc" but in saying that, we are applying a negative relationship (they aren't spreaders) to a situation where we actually don't know one way or the other what the situation really is. To apply a drug concept, we have not yet run a clinical trial (kids in school) yet we are concluding that the outcome is effective (kids aren't spreaders). Yes, some European countries are back to normal, but they are in a completely different reality than even some states, let alone the country as a whole are in (i.e. FL had 15 times as many deaths yesterday alone as Germany did, a country 4 times the size population wise as FL)

I take no issue with their other points, in person school is clearly better for kids in most cases for a multitude of reasons. I just don't know that we have enough real life "available evidence" to even lean toward the "they aren't spreaders"

Having said all this, I hope CDC has this right. I want January back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary