Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 06:12 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So a parent with COVID sent their child to school. This will be a huge, HUGE problem especially at the elementary school level if schools re-open. Parents already send their kids to school sick; any teacher with a month's experience can look at a student and know to ask them "did you mom or dad give you some pink or purple medicine this morning?". And a question WCPSS could not answer was "if I am forced to quarantine, will I have to use my sick time? what I have to quarantine a few times during the year?"

Ironic that the parents most skutching for schools to re open are the ones least trustworthy to make the whole machine work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
YES to the bolded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
qftmft
I'm confused by all this. Who do y'all think is the least trustworthy? Do you think there's like a type of parent that wants schools to reopen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 06:14 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Isn't that obvious? I mean do you really think that people who are forced to go work an $8/hr job every day in order to get by are going to be making the best decisions? I don't even trust myself to make the right decisions when every single little symptom is now considered to be Covid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling you're both pointing to the "muh rights" people as GVoR says (or at least one of you), but they're probably not the ones that want schools to re-open the most.
Ya I’m not talking about the working poor m378.

I’m talking about people like the yahoo down the street from me here in Heritage who wanted to storm WCPSS and force them to offer In person edumacation.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:15 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Isn't that obvious? I mean do you really think that people who are forced to go work an $8/hr job every day in order to get by are going to be making the best decisions? I don't even trust myself to make the right decisions when every single little symptom is now considered to be Covid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling you're both pointing to the "muh rights" people as GVoR says (or at least one of you), but they're probably not the ones that want schools to re-open the most.
Yeah, there are tons of people at the schools my kids go to /have gone to whose parents are making $8 an hour. (sarcasm).

It has always - since I was a kid (and I'm no kid) been the rule that if you have a fever you should stay home. Fever means your body is doing the work of fighting an infection. And no, it's not ok to go to work or school or anywhere else when you're sick and contagious. This isn't about the economy or my rights or anything else. And now more than ever, if you do show up sick, all you're doing is postponing the inevitable, which is your kid being home for the day. Fever is an across-the-board symptom of COVID, but it's also a symptom of many other contagious diseases. Stay home. Or go home. Either way, mom or dad is gonna have to be home too. Is COVID putting a major hurt on many people that we won't fully know the effects of for a year or two? Yup. Yup it is.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Ya I’m not talking about the working poor m378.

I’m talking about people like the yahoo down the street from me here in Heritage who wanted to storm WCPSS and force them to offer In person edumacation.
I don't think those are the people that comprise the vast majority that want schools to reopen.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:17 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
I don't think those are the people that comprise the vast majority that want schools to reopen.
This

Old 08-04-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah, there are tons of people at the schools my kids go to /have gone to whose parents are making $8 an hour. (sarcasm).

It has always - since I was a kid (and I'm no kid) been the rule that if you have a fever you should stay home. Fever means your body is doing the work of fighting an infection. And no, it's not ok to go to work or school or anywhere else when you're sick and contagious. This isn't about the economy or my rights or anything else. And now more than ever, if you do show up sick, all you're doing is postponing the inevitable, which is your kid being home for the day. Fever is an across-the-board symptom of COVID, but it's also a symptom of many other contagious diseases. Stay home. Or go home. Either way, mom or dad is gonna have to be home too. Is COVID putting a major hurt on many people that we won't fully know the effects of for a year or two? Yup. Yup it is.
Right, but weren't you talking about a kid that was asymptomatic and passed a temp check? You said the parent had covid, did they know they had covid?

Where do you draw the line? If my coworker tests positive, do I have to keep my kid home from school?

Old 08-04-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I'm confused by all this. Who do y'all think is the least trustworthy? Do you think there's like a type of parent that wants schools to reopen?
In my little bubble here in Heritage (which almost certainly has 0 “$8/hr essential workers” to steal m378’s line) there is absolutely a “type” of parent who want schools open. One of my neighbors is one of them and I would barely trust him to tell me what color the sky is.

You should read their tropes on NextDoor. The ongoing debate (which was hilariously still going as of a couple of days ago) on some dudes “Petition” read like a QAnon 4chan discussion.

Now did twinkles have those types in mind with her post? I can’t say. I applied my own use of the line. She can state for the record if she meant something different.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Come on up here to the boonies my man. I’ll let you log in to my Nextdoor to the see the neighborhood discussions.

It’s literally the “Dont Tread on Me!!!!!!!!” types versus everyone else.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Come on up here to the boonies my man. I’ll let you log in to my Nextdoor to the see the neighborhood discussions.

It’s literally the “Dont Tread on Me!!!!!!!!” types versus everyone else.
No I agree there's plenty of those types, I just think there are far more families out there that don't have options when their kids can't go to school. They also want schools to open.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
No I agree there's plenty of those types, I just think there are far more families out there that don't have options when their kids can't go to school.
For sure there are people who have no options. But those aren’t the ones I’m seeing on Nextdoor.

I mean if I click on your name when I see your post and you share who is in your house and I see your wife is SAHM....sorta means you “have” options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary