Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Galaxy Fun park just opened their indoor "playground" but yet outdoor parks remain closed.
Wait, wuh? How are they doing that legally? I thought amusement parks and playgrounds are both still supposed to remain closed. Is Galaxy considered something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 08:42 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Wait, wuh? How are they doing that legally? I thought amusement parks and playgrounds are both still supposed to remain closed. Is Galaxy considered something else?
Just call yourself a camp instead of an amusement park/entertainment facility and you're good to go.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Just call yourself a camp instead of an amusement park/entertainment facility and you're good to go.
Yeah, many dance studios like Starpath in west Cary are having more dance classes by just saying it's a "camp."

Old 08-10-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Ah, I see. Thanks. I remember hearing about a bowling alley using that loophole for private groups of 10 or less, but that seemed a bit more structured and controlled.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:07 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Classes on campus at Neuse Christian Academy in Raleigh are canceled until further notice after a student tested positive Sunday for the coronavirus.
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/neu...irus/19228655/

Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
I mean if people think that nobody is going to test positive at schools, then we may as well shut schools down until everyone can prove they have been vaccinated. IE never.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I really don’t want to argue with you because we generally get along on here. But you said that everyone in your company is working at home, and I pointed out that that wasn’t the case. I didn’t realize that was already obvious to you.

The whole definition of essential workers during covid is people that are required to go onsite to their jobs. I was told I’m essential at my job, and my job is not nearly as important as teaching children. In my opinion it’s essential for some kids to be onsite at schools. That’s my opinion and i understand if you don’t agree.
I don't disagree with that opinion at all. I would love for my kid to be going back next week. I wish she was and so does she. And there are going to be a LOT of kids, probably most kids, who are going to have a REAL hard time getting back into the swing of things because a lot of them did nothing after March 13. This is why I made mine attend every class and do any work that was given. But she has friends who are like "what's the big deal? Remote school was fine!" and she's like YOU.NEVER.EVEN.WENT.

I disagree that this entirely being driven by the teachers. But we can agree to disagree on that.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:51 AM

I hit me like a ton of bricks shortly after I woke up today that "distance learning" starts in a week. I honestly don't see how my family is going to manage, and I don't even think we have as many challenges as some people do. And now there are going to be real expectations and grades. And my kids are transitioning to middle and high school and one has a developmental disability. And our stupid house is too small for all of this.

This just seems like madness. I truly just don't understand how parents are just supposed to keep it all together and work and do school at home and just keep going like everything is normal and be held to the same standards as before all when the world has been turned upside down. If it's that bad out there, why are we expected to just maintain like it's not? This is not sustainable.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I hit me like a ton of bricks shortly after I woke up today that "distance learning" starts in a week. .

ha! Same here - DD was like "I'm bored" - I said good, school starts in a week. And we both kinda looked at each other. I said don't worry it will be ok. We will do the best we can and worry about what we can control. That's all we can do. Bless her, she wants to learn everything she needs to learn for college - I told her just about every kid in America is in the same boat so let's not sweat that.

But yeah - it's not sustainable. This "let's figure it out as we go" as a strategy from the top on down is not working for me.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I mean if people think that nobody is going to test positive at schools, then we may as well shut schools down until everyone can prove they have been vaccinated. IE never.
I think that's a great idea. Not sure what you mean about "IE Never" since there are already plenty of vaccine requirements for public school.

I am super happy my kid's school is all virtual and so is she (high school junior taking AP classes), but I do feel for folks who have to work at jobs outside the home and arrange for childcare for younger kids. That is a nightmare and I'm not sure there is a good solution, but I think virtual school is the best we can do right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary