Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 06:00 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Wait, wuh? How are they doing that legally? I thought amusement parks and playgrounds are both still supposed to remain closed. Is Galaxy considered something else?

Yep. Complete garbage. I'm glad people are starting to realize what I've been saying all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
It's sad for the businesses and can't or did not find a loop hole to operate. It's like they are being punished for following the mandate.

They are! And a latest study shows a zero percent increase after gyms were allowed to reopen.

The mandates are simply for appeasement and to make people falsely think they're safe. This nonsense will stop in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 06:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Yep. Complete garbage. I'm glad people are starting to realize what I've been saying all along.

They are! And a latest study shows a zero percent increase after gyms were allowed to reopen.

The mandates are simply for appeasement and to make people falsely think they're safe. This nonsense will stop in November.
I disagree that mandates are only for appeasement. Companies and people find loop holes in laws all the time it does not mean the laws are not worthwhile. I have witten a few pages back that i really hope is does change in November becuase the US is the only country that has blown their response this badly and that responsibility goes right to the top, not that responsibility will ever be taken, just blame assigned. This was/is a Federal blunder on all fronts.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I disagree that mandates are only for appeasement. Companies and people find loop holes in laws all the time it does not mean the laws are not worthwhile. I have witten a few pages back that i really hope is does change in November becuase the US is the only country that has blown their response this badly and that responsibility goes right to the top, not that responsibility will ever be taken, just blame assigned. This was/is a Federal blunder on all fronts.
I don't disagree that the federal response to this pandemic has been abysmal to say the least, but that doesn't mean state and local leaders haven't bumbled things as well. Continuing to point fingers at the POTUS for all our problems is like him constantly pointing fingers at China and the WHO for our problems. People need to take responsibility for what they can. Some governors even demanded they be able to do just that and told the feds to stay out of their business. Some are doing a better job than others with that.

If the state doesn't want companies exploiting loopholes, they could close them or better yet avoid creating them in the first place. And if the governor really wanted schools opened like he claimed and really truly believed it was our top priority like said, he could do more to at least give us the possibility of that happening. But he seems to be playing both sides and playing it safe rather than taking bold action which is what's needed right now in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:47 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
[quote=ITB_OG;58874941]

And if the governor really wanted schools opened like he claimed and really truly believed it was our top priority like said, he could do more to at least give us the possibility of that happening. But he seems to be playing both sides and playing it safe rather than taking bold action which is what's needed right now in my opinion.

What! Playing it safe and not wanting to take bold action!!!!That's it! I don't know about y'all but I'm switching my vote to Forrest. Playing it safe and not taking bold action. WHO does he think he is!

Old 08-11-2020, 09:38 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
And if the governor really wanted schools opened like he claimed and really truly believed it was our top priority like said, he could do more to at least give us the possibility of that happening. But he seems to be playing both sides and playing it safe rather than taking bold action which is what's needed right now in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
What! Playing it safe and not wanting to take bold action!!!!That's it! I don't know about y'all but I'm switching my vote to Forrest. Playing it safe and not taking bold action. WHO does he think he is!
Way to go missing the point and making this about something it's not. It should be obvious I meant playing it safe politically not with public health.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Way to go missing the point and making this about something it's not. It should be obvious I meant playing it safe politically not with public health.
Look, a "can do" attitude can be a wonderful thing. But what possible "bold" action do you propose should be taken? If he is such a political person, wouldn't he come up with some "bold action" to advance his political agenda if he could safely do so? In my view, there isn't a great deal that can be done during this pandemic but follow the guidelines the scientists have outlined. Am I missing something here? How is he playing it safe and pleasing both sides?

Old 08-11-2020, 10:46 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Look, a "can do" attitude can be a wonderful thing. But what possible "bold" action do you propose should be taken? If he is such a political person, wouldn't he come up with some "bold action" to advance his political agenda if he could safely do so? In my view, there isn't a great deal that can be done during this pandemic but follow the guidelines the scientists have outlined. Am I missing something here? How is he playing it safe and pleasing both sides?
A bold move would be to shut it all down for a month, with enforcement, and I think we'd be in a much better place at the end of it. Instead, we've been treading water for five months.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
A bold move would be to shut it all down for a month, with enforcement, and I think we'd be in a much better place at the end of it. Instead, we've been treading water for five months.
I hear what you're saying and it would probably be very effective. But give up partying in a pandemic is a tough call for many Americans. The enforcement part would give me pause with some of the good folks from the "don't tread on me and take away my rights" camp.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
All the armchair quarterbacks - we are in a pandemic that comes around every 100 years and so many complain about actions being taken. Governors are being attacked for every little decision. I really would never want a loved one in such a position. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:33 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
But then when you open it all up you have spikes like they did in AZ, FL and TX and more deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary