Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times

Advertisements

Now that our world has changed due to covid, I'm wondering if anyone has moved to the triangle area in the last few months. Perhaps people were in the planning stages when all of this hit the fan in March, or maybe people who were planning to move in the spring went ahead with it.

If there is anyone who moved recently, I'd be interested in knowing if it was a bigger hassle (trying to get a new driver's license at the DMV, renting an apartment, finding a new doctor, etc), things that would normally be associated with a move, but perhaps are more challenging or daunting during covid. Or maybe your moving to NC in the last few months wasn't impacted.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who moved to the triangle in the last few months, or from people who changed their plans to relocate and are waiting in their home state to make the move later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I moved here at the end of February and the pandemic really hit a few weeks later. I was blessed to have gotten my furniture, car, etc, delivered right before then. I did have issues connecting with the DMV but I finally got an appt. in late May and everything went smoothly. I still haven’t gotten a primary care doctor. But was able to get car insurance via phone with no problem. All in all, everything went quite well. I’m just disappointed that I haven’t been able to check out a lot of restaurants, etc. but considering all that has developed since then and what a lot of people are suffering with health, job losses, etc. I have no complaints about my transition. I love it here and look forward to enjoying all that Raleigh area has to offer.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I moved here at the end of February and the pandemic really hit a few weeks later. I was blessed to have gotten my furniture, car, etc, delivered right before then. I did have issues connecting with the DMV but I finally got an appt. in late May and everything went smoothly. I still haven’t gotten a primary care doctor. But was able to get car insurance via phone with no problem. All in all, everything went quite well. I’m just disappointed that I haven’t been able to check out a lot of restaurants, etc. but considering all that has developed since then and what a lot of people are suffering with health, job losses, etc. I have no complaints about my transition. I love it here and look forward to enjoying all that Raleigh area has to offer.
Really good to hear that things went fairly smoothly, all things considered. Question about the DMV: It looks like you moved at the end of Feb, but didn't get your new DL, etc until late May. Was that delay ok as far as the state was concerned? I think the general rule is to change everything within 30 days of moving, but the state may have made exceptions in light of covid.

Yes, checking out the interesting, fun things in a new area will likely be delayed, but hopefully you'll be able to start doing that in coming months.

Re: getting a new doctor, have you checked out the options yet (Duke, UNC, etc)? Are doctors taking new patients now?

Old 08-12-2020, 08:53 PM

DMV did extend deadline for renewal of expiring registrations (can be done online) but not for new registrations, had to be done in person. But they never said anything to me about the deadline. All the delays were because of the virus and a lot of the DMV offices were closed. I’ve researched some doctors in the Duke system but haven’t decided on one yet.

Last edited by loveautumn; 08-12-2020 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 08-13-2020, 04:42 PM

172 posts, read 145,891 times
We moved in the middle of it. My husband started his new job mid February and ended up in an extended stay for 3 months. We went under contract here first and while we had some hassles selling as things were shutting down, both closings went very smoothly. It added more stress to go under contract to buy first but no regrets. We moved here the first week of May.

The internet made all the moving things decently painless. We had to make an appt to open our bank account and get licenses. Licenses were super easy and fast except my daughter didn't have 2 things with our address.

We didn't get the cars registered until the end of July but no one batted an eye. The only real stress was needing to address some medical issues when they didn't know us.

The stress post move came from all the tasks that go along with completely moving your life. Despite not really going inside places, we are enjoying take out and exploring trails. Unless we move to the beach one day, we are here for good and love it! NC is gorgeous and I am so excited to live here.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:03 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,269 times
We moved the MIL down here last month. We started searching for an investment type of property for her to live in starting in March. Those houses go quick!!! We finally found one towards the end of June, and got her down here a few weeks ago.
We found a doctor at Duke that was accepting new patients but is booked for at least a month out so she will see the NP in the meantime. As far as DMV goes, had to keep looking everyday for them to release appointments. Finally got her one on September 8th. They said she will have to take the vision and road sign test.
Nothing really seemed out of the norm as far as the moving process goes, the worst part was how freakin hot it was the day we got her down her.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
I’m just disappointed that I haven’t been able to check out a lot of restaurants, etc.
Think about it this way, a bunch of them have closed to never return again so you won't be missing something now that you weren't able to try before once this is all over.

(Terrible/sad statement I realize.)

Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 PM

On the positive side, I am saving a bunch of money by not dining out as much as I used to!

Old 08-16-2020, 08:34 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Really good to hear that things went fairly smoothly, all things considered. Question about the DMV: It looks like you moved at the end of Feb, but didn't get your new DL, etc until late May. Was that delay ok as far as the state was concerned? I think the general rule is to change everything within 30 days of moving, but the state may have made exceptions in light of covid.

Yes, checking out the interesting, fun things in a new area will likely be delayed, but hopefully you'll be able to start doing that in coming months.

Re: getting a new doctor, have you checked out the options yet (Duke, UNC, etc)? Are doctors taking new patients now?
When you get your license no one is going to ask how long you've lived here. And it's so difficult to get an appointment anyway. Word of advice, do not get discouraged, the appointment system is crazy, keep checking every day, every few hours, to see what opens up.

Some doctors are taking new patients (I would say most) but some aren't.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
DMV did extend deadline for renewal of expiring registrations (can be done online) but not for new registrations, had to be done in person. But they never said anything to me about the deadline. All the delays were because of the virus and a lot of the DMV offices were closed. I’ve researched some doctors in the Duke system but haven’t decided on one yet.
Have the DMV offices opened back up? It sounds from these posts like it's appointment only, and not walk-in yet. I won't be coming down for at least a few months, so things could change by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary