Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:46 PM

4 posts, read 41,065 times

Advertisements

Is there really no places to go there? I've been told it's beautiful. Is it as pretty as Sarasota, FL? What is the weather like, housing costs, schools, are alot of people prejudiced? Tell me it all! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 11:07 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
So far so good. Plenty of city inRaleigh Durham. People are friendly, trees everywhere, plenty of employment, air is pretty clean. Traffic can be a little heavy but nothing you can't live with. Racism does not seem to be a problem here. That does not mean it does not exist, it exists everywhere! It is not prevalent in my opinion due to educated people and many minorities moving to the area because of the jobs at Research triangle park. Many people (myself included) have relocated from Northern California, one of the most diverse areas in the USA. I bet you can find stories of people who have directly been discriminated against but keep in mind we are talking about a general attitude of people in the city. Hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:34 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,553 times
Durham suffers from poor P.R. more so than outright racism. The recent Duke LaCrosse rape case has been a fiasco of bad judgement from all sides basically. An embarrassment. There are alot of hardworking citizens of all colors and creeds in Durham who are now saddled with the dubious honor of this very public criminal case. In my opinion the outlying areas of Durham County are one of the better kept secrets in the Triad for liveability.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 AM

29 posts, read 129,508 times
I am a rare Durham native and anyone who thinks racism is not an issue or is not prevelant does not know Durham. The majority of people moving to Durham are not from NC. They are excited to move to the Raleigh-Durham area because of reviews from Money Magazine and other publications and do not see what lies beneath the surface of out of control development, overcrowding, and loss of Southern charm.

The city of Durham is almost a 50/50 split of black and white and both have racial issues. The Duke lacrosse scandal has shined a light on the problem that has plagued this city for decades - citizens and officials are scared to stand up to the city government for fear of being labeled a racist.

Tell me, does this make sense:

Duke University, the largest presence in Durham, trys to avoid a racial issue by cancelling the lacrosse program, forcing the coach to resign and treating the accused as guilty.

The DA gives misleading statements to the media and hides evidence so that he can win the re-election.

Ed Bradley's 60 minutes story shows the country how baseless the charges are.

The DA gets re-elected during the middle of all of this.

Evidence withheld by the DA is released.

The rape charges are dropped.

The NC Bar cites the DA for ethics charges.

The story is still unfolding.....

All you have to do is read the paper or watch the news to find countless stories dealing with these racial problems that some people seem to be blind to.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I'd suggest you check into the crime statistics for Durham. They are not good. And...the Durham County school system has issues of its own.

Most of my clients that work in Durham or RTP prefer to live in North Raleigh or Cary or Holly Springs.

Sorry that my opinion is not better but it IS my opinion.

Vicki

Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Cool A very diverse, dynamic city

I have friends who live in Durham and I myself visit the place often. The "crime problem" is mostly concentrated in certain specific areas...poor housing project areas to the east of downtown mostly.
Durham is in no way as bad as a lot of Raleigh/Cary/Wake County people try to make it seem. ("Oooh scary...gritty urban surroundings, blue collar poor people and lots of minorities...eek I'm scared!) Gimme a break!
The VAST majority of Durham is a safe, great city, with as much to offer as Raleigh as far as good living goes. (I live in Raleigh cuz I work in Raleigh...if I worked in Durham, I'd be just as happy to live there, really.)

And that whole Duke Lacrosse Case....whatever. A crime/political scandal like that is limited to those involved directly...doesn't reflect on the city as a whole.

Check out we-love-durham.com ...it's a good website with a great insider's view of the city. Another good site is downtowndurham.com for info on dining, shopping, entertainment stuff.

Good luck in your move!

Old 01-02-2007, 08:58 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanaturkey8385 View Post
Is there really no places to go there? I've been told it's beautiful. Is it as pretty as Sarasota, FL? What is the weather like, housing costs, schools, are alot of people prejudiced? Tell me it all! Thanks!
Didn't you do any sort of research before you decided to move? Do you have a job? Prospects?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
lw2

4 posts, read 45,206 times
Default durham life

don't let durham's reputation of crime keep you from considering this city as a place to settle down. durham gets a bad rap. there is an unspoken and ongoing stigma about durham being worse than raleigh where crime is concerned, when in fact, there isn't anything bad happening in durham that isn't happening in raleigh and in greater numbers many times. the local news is good for harping on 5 bad things related to durham, while pushing to the back burner 15 equally bad things that have happened in raleigh. if you move near a high-crime part of town in any city, no matter how nice your community, you stand to be a victim of theft, burglery, or otherwise loss of peace of mind. it isn't a durham thing; it's a global thing. do your research. make intelligent and fair decisions.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
What is up with the old threads coming back to life? This one is from December, 2006. I'm sure the original poster has long since made a decision.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Durham is nothing like Sarasota at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary