Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 07:29 AM

598 posts, read 333,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is a discussion forum and I'm entitled to state my opinion just like you are. It's impossible for me to keep track of what has and has not been discussed in threads with thousands of posts.

Yeah, obviously- my actual recommendation is to stop watching 24-hour news channels because they are all generally infuriating in one way or another, but you're entitled to keep watching them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 07:31 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Yeah, obviously- my actual recommendation is to stop watching 24-hour news channels because they are all generally infuriating in one way or another, but you're entitled to keep watching them too.
I like to understand what the media is pushing to the general public.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The comments about Covid-19 changing the way one feels toward others is right on.

The disease has turned political. I have a number of Dem friends and about an equal number of GOPers. With only a tiny exception I can tell the tenor of the email or post simply by seeing who it is from. Dismayingly, the VAST MAJORITY of these folks are college educated.

While I have not let the contents of any post start a fight or argument , I know there are people I know and communicate with who I will never view the same.

I also agree that the shift to "Phase One" was like a green light to many to return to normal. I think it was a mistake to open when it did (based on the data and criteria) and a move to Phase 2 will be worse.

The NYTimes compiles five tables for monitoring the virus. As of this morning 5 of the 15 locations in the table, "Where Outbreaks Might Come Next" were North Carolina towns/cities!!

We, my wife and myself, are going to stay in and only make essential trips. I’m just not willing to risk it, especially in the wake of so many acting recklessly.

Here’s the link to the five tables. Though normally behind a paywall they claim CV-19 stuff is available to all.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...epage#hotspots
as of this morning, only 1 - N Wilkesboro, population 4225. So were you "overreacting" yesterday with the "!!", am I under-reacting today saying "N Wilkesboro? Big deal!" or somewhere in between?

Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
But at the same time, people need to be mindful of when they are in fact putting unwilling people at risk through their actions. If you decide that you don't need a mask when you go grocery shopping because you're not worried about catching the virus, you're putting all the store employees and other customers at increased risk by your not wearing a mask. If a barbershop has a policy that all customers must wear masks, and a customer is like "Well you can't make me do that and I still want you to cut my hair," that customer is putting the person cutting his hair in a terrible position. It's people like that that I worry most about as we reopen.
there's only an increased risk if the non-wearer has the virus.

on Phase 2 re-opening (topic title), I will wear a mask anywhere the business requires it. If I'm at a big box and can't maintain 6 ft, I'll wear the mask. If I'm at the Farmer's Market and I can't maintain 6 ft, I will wear a mask.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM

805 posts, read 524,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

on Phase 2 re-opening (topic title), I will wear a mask anywhere the business requires it. If I'm at a big box and can't maintain 6 ft, I'll wear the mask. If I'm at the Farmer's Market and I can't maintain 6 ft, I will wear a mask.
The risk is on a group level. If we all wear masks, the transmission levels go down overall. Because among all of us, some of us are asymptomatically breathing out the virus.

I feel so bad for the service workers. While the risks are low for customers who are in and out in a short time, the workers are in the space for hours. Viral load matters. Over 8 hours in a big box store, they can get many low level exposures from customers that add up to enough virus to become infected. And we are seeing workers dying.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
I’ll be staying in as much as possible for a long while unless the case count goes down in a few months. I go to the grocery store or Target/Walmart right at opening or at closing. That’s about it! Thinking I’ll color my hair at home soon. Too many people without masks for my personal comfort.
and thankfully that is your decision to make, and you have the ability to do so. The only counter-argument I'll provide is to please look at the data, and see what it tells you.

Wake County has a population of 1.1MM people. As of yesterday, we had ZERO new cases for the day, and averaged 27 cases daily over the previous 5 days. And we have ~1,300 cases. If we assume the same ratio of recovered (see below), then there are ~530 people with an active COVID case. That is 5 out of 10,000 people. If twice as many people are infected but asymptomatic, that is 1 person per 1,000.

NC has a total of 19,700 cases, and 11,700 are presumed recovered*. We had a jump yesterday in hospitalizations, but they've typically been ~500. NC has a population of 10.5MM.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:17 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
I'm sticking to my rule of "if I don't gotta, I'm not gonna".

We're going to ********** up, there are already clear signs of us doing that. Being bored is not a good enough reason for people to die unnecessarily.

And if you're not wearing a mask in public, you're not living free, you're telling those around you they don't matter to you. Citing your rights but not acknowledging your social responsibility makes you a tool.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's everywhere. Two weeks ago on CNN they were practically calling the governor of Georgia a murderer for opening things back up.

WRAL has been reporting on "big spikes in cases" this week, initially with no mention that tests are up and hospitalizations and deaths remain flat. Why would you report that unless you're trying to make people nervous to go out? A lot of people are scared to go out, and we should be encouraging them to ease back into it while doing it the right way.
the media, at all levels, is "pushing a narrative" that has too many folks scared for their life, believing there's a very high likelihood they'll contract the virus, and an outsized chance they'll die or have horrible long-term damage.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 AM

805 posts, read 524,416 times
Quote:
the media, at all levels, is "pushing a narrative" that has too many folks scared for their life, believing there's a very high likelihood they'll contract the virus, and an outsized chance they'll die or have horrible long-term damage.
I’m not watching the media, and I’m not personally worried about dying. I’m worried about more police officers and nurses dying. COVID 19 is currently the leading cause of line of duty death for officers in 2020.

I strongly object to the argument, “if you’re scared, stay home”. I’m not scared. I feel a responsibility to my fellow humans who are working to serve us and protect us.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:46 AM

let me try to be clear on context

Quote:
But at the same time, people need to be mindful of when they are in fact putting unwilling people at risk through their actions. If you decide that you don't need a mask when you go grocery shopping because you're not worried about catching the virus, you're putting all the store employees and other customers at increased risk by your not wearing a mask. If a barbershop has a policy that all customers must wear masks, and a customer is like "Well you can't make me do that and I still want you to cut my hair," that customer is putting the person cutting his hair in a terrible position. It's people like that that I worry most about as we reopen.
Quote:

on Phase 2 re-opening (topic title), I will wear a mask anywhere the business requires it. If I'm at a big box and can't maintain 6 ft, I'll wear the mask. If I'm at the Farmer's Market and I can't maintain 6 ft, I will wear a mask. edit: If they have a sign asking me to wear a mask, but not compulsory, I will wear a mask
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
The risk is on a group level. If we all wear masks, the transmission levels go down overall. Because among all of us, some of us are asymptomatically breathing out the virus.
My point, contextually, is that if I don't have the virus, there is exactly ZERO risk to anyone else. The way robin stated it was there is an actual risk in 2 scenarios merely from not wearing a mask. I have seen and accept the model that says 80% mask-wearing of 60% efficiency = transmission < 1. I'm also quite aware that I *could* have the virus right this moment and be asymptomatic.

Quote:
I feel so bad for the service workers. While the risks are low for customers who are in and out in a short time, the workers are in the space for hours. Viral load matters. Over 8 hours in a big box store, they can get many low level exposures from customers that add up to enough virus to become infected. And we are seeing workers dying.
I feel bad for any organization that is having the non-wearers berate employees. I wish they'd all do what that Costco guy did - tell them to leave and kick them out. It's that simple. I also see many workers poorly wearing masks and not social distancing among themselves.

However, now you're introducing "we are seeing workers dying". Yes, there have been deaths. But the last stories I see reported were mid-April and would put the number at less than 50 then and without any knowledge where the virus was contracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary