Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 07:22 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times

Advertisements

We really have no desire to do anything that will be allowed in this next phase, at least for a couple of weeks. We have a favorite Asian restaurant that we've been getting take out from and eating in the parking lot of a nearby park and it would be nice to be able to sit outside at a table and eat. But not yet. That hasn't been allowed so far, yet the restaurant had to remove their outside tables because people were eating there anyways. So basically, people can't follow the rules, so I have no desire to risk it.

My husband wants a hair cut, I have long hair and have already trimmed my bangs, so I can wait for another month or more.

Eventually I want to get back to the gym. I was making good progress and lost all of it (because I am totally unable to motivate myself to workout at home, hence the reason I belong to a gym). But again, not for a couple of weeks at least. I'll wait and see how people handle it.

We do have reservations at a state campground in the middle of June, I'm hoping we can do that. But if they end up overrun and having to reclose after they open, we'll survive without a camping trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 08:10 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Based on recent activity in the market, I expect to be "regular activity" for this time of year as soon as Phase 2 starts.

I'll wear a mask as appropriate (indoors) and continue sanitizing and hand-washing.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Interesting article on CNN yesterday that an epidemiologist studying the virus has determined that time of exposure is an important component to how likely you are to get it. A quick trip to the grocery is unlikely to make you sick, unless someone sneezes or coughs on you. An indoor game or concert where people are singing and shouting ups your chances considerably. I know we've all heard about that church choir where one person sickened over 100.

Soooo, I would probably consider eating outdoors somewhere, but honestly we didn't eat out that much before this so that's not something I have missed terribly. My kids have missed going to the movies, that is something I would let them do when theatres re open because people aren't talking (an opening night crowded movie might be a different story). Would like to get a haircut but I'll see what my salon is doing before I do that. I'm not sitting there while hairdryers are going. My boys want to get their hair cut, but we did one of them last week and will do the other this week and they may be able to wait a while. The barber they go to is appointment only and only serves two people at a time. So no sitting around waiting.

My DD has a friend's b'day in a couple weeks, if the girl's mom allows it I will let DD go to the house for a scaled down Sweet 16. The other kids who would be going have been quarantining so I'm ok with that get together.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:37 AM

466 posts, read 815,673 times
Hair appointment for sure. I relax (chemically straighten) my hair, and I am past due for a touch up. I have two different textures fighting on my head. lol My stylist works out of her home and only has one client at a time, so I'm more than fine with it.

And like someone else said, I'd like to be able to figure out how to see friends and my 10-year-old see his friends. He went to an outdoor basketball practice last week and I could tell that did a lot for his spirit.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:55 AM

750 posts, read 853,717 times
I’ll continue to stay at home.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:01 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
I’ll continue to stay at home.

Same here!

and--

I can imagine all the buffets of any type will only survive if they go to cafeteria-style, if the place can afford the labor, copying D&S Cafeteria business model.

CiCi's
Asian buffets
Harris-Teeter stores

Old 05-19-2020, 10:05 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
If people want to expose themselves to others who may have covid-19, it's time to let them and let the chips fall where they may.

The rest who need and want to take precautions for a variety of reasons (age, pre-existing conditions, comorbidity, etc) can and likely will continue to shelter at home and be cautious about where and when they go out. I'm going to continue being cautious.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:18 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
They really need to figure out what exactly IS a major risk if you get Covid, with all politics put aside. For example, something like 40% of the population has high blood pressure. They keep saying it's a major risk, but I think we'd be seeing a lot more deaths if that was the case.

There's still just massive amounts of misinformation. Obviously you can't avoid it, but hopefully we'll start getting more research-driven data.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:22 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
They really need to figure out what exactly IS a major risk if you get Covid, with all politics put aside. For example, something like 40% of the population has high blood pressure. They keep saying it's a major risk, but I think we'd be seeing a lot more deaths if that was the case.

There's still just massive amounts of misinformation. Obviously you can't avoid it, but hopefully we'll start getting more research-driven data.

Hypertension, Obesity and the Sugar.....the Great American Triad.

There is a study out of NYC on the impacts of those three to rates of death on infected persons.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:51 AM

360 posts, read 399,857 times
I was driving in Beaver Creek two weekends ago and noticed crowds of people going in and out of Lowes and Target. Very few people had masks. Seems like you guys are in the minority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary