Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post

I don't know that I would personally publicly shame someone for not wearing mask (although I do judge the F out of them inside my head), this really says a lot about our society.

If people are "fatigued" 2.5 months (since schools closed) into this thing...what are they going to be if this lasts a lot longer in some form or fashion? Or rules get lessened, people get lax on precautions and then crap explodes and we go back under?

This is the beauty (I mean that in as sarcastic manner as I can) of the no mask crowd. For instance. I went golfing yesterday. One of the guys in the group (who "I know" but would never call a friend and I refused to be in the same four some with him) is the type of person who talks politics all the time around anyone and everyone. He's insufferable (and I'd say that regardless of which tribe he allies with). He can't control himself. Anyway, he wants to get back to normal as quickly as possible and then in the next breathe said "did you see that video of those people attacking that woman for not wearing a mask in NYC? What a bunch of mindless sheep! Masks don't do anything! This is a hoax!".

If you want nothing more than to get back "to normal" AND don't wear a mask, you are literally working against your stated goal. As TheKlunk shared, getting R0 to less than 1 is the goal. Wearing masks, collectively, gets us moving in that direction. If you don't wear one, and then ***** about restrictions "On your Freedom".....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
176 new cases reported today.

Covid must've taken a break for the long weekend

Old 05-26-2020, 09:43 AM

598 posts, read 333,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Anyway, he wants to get back to normal as quickly as possible and then in the next breathe said "did you see that video of those people attacking that woman for not wearing a mask in NYC? What a bunch of mindless sheep! Masks don't do anything! This is a hoax!".

What I want to know is- who are the people with that mentality listening to that's making them feel this way? There's an eerie consistency in the language of people saying things along those lines, along with a distinct streak of smug arrogance. Where is that coming from?

Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
176 new cases reported today.

Covid must've taken a break for the long weekend
Testing took a break.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Testing took a break.
That was sort of my point - looking at number of cases per day is pointless. People (and the media) need to stop freaking out about "spikes".

Old 05-26-2020, 10:05 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
What I want to know is- who are the people with that mentality listening to that's making them feel this way? There's an eerie consistency in the language of people saying things along those lines, along with a distinct streak of smug arrogance. Where is that coming from?
The messaging from the government in regards to masks has not helped at all. When you consistently tell people not to buy and wear masks and that social distancing is enough, and then pivot to saying that everybody should consider wearing a mask in public in the matter of weeks, you're going to have people doubting the credibility of that message and sow conspiracy theory seeds. Not to mention that many officials who are in the public eye don't believe in wearing masks as well.....

The message from the start should have been to encourage people not to buy medical-grade masks but to consider wearing some sort of face covering until more is known about the respiratory disease.

Also, NC has not been hit hard so far by COVID-19 so I would say the majority of people do not know anybody who has had COVID-19 or been affected by it (or died, that's the biggest thing that will get someone's attention quickly). So therefore, not as many people here see the impacts that people in other hard hit areas like NYC have and to them it's some far off illness that's mostly in another place. (Lack of urgency)

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Part of our tribalism (or is it part of the cultivation of our tribalism? not sure which is the chicken or the egg) is the manner in which some people consume "News" that fits their preconceived personal bias'....many people seek out the echo chamber for it's reinforcing qualities rather than avoid it for what it is.

Just in this sub, in the handful COVID related threads we have had, how many posters have said, to some effect, ".....news on Facebook"? Given how Facebook works, a person would have to follow a "news page"...so therefore people who are friends with "news pages" on Facebook choose it because they align/like the content.

Facebook was created as a knock off "are you hot enough to bump uglies or not" site....yet a huge number of people use it as a main source of their news consumption. How many people share youtube links to a debunked documentary or some quack "expert" who is challenging what medical science largely says is reality? It's the same thing we see with Climate Change. 96% of an expert community agree something is happening, 4% say "ya nah, nothing to see here" and people who are pre-wired to accept the 4% (largely because of an inferiority complex) say "See!!! It's a hoax! It snowed this AM! Stupid Elitists! La-La-La".

It has literally become a funnel to spew misinformation under the guise of some "we're out here fighting for the truth against the mainstream cabal"...never mind it is a perfect vehicle to exploit foundational, to our core, differences in our population that have been an open sore since basically the country was founded. Our collective willingness to allow Democracy be defined as "my ignorance is just as good as as your knowledge" has been here all along, but is usually kept just below the surface. Nowadays? It's literally celebrated and rewarded.

"Ummm what? That fort-russ link you just sent me, that you are touting as the fundamental truth about the COVID "Fatality Rate"....its literally written by some dude bro in a basement in Eastern Europe....yet that's not "Fake News" because it aligns with what you think/feel/hope/desire reality to be?"

As for "where"....in this case this starts at the top.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:15 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
People often look for information that will confirm a bias they may hold. Confirmation bias is a thing and anyone can get caught in it.

Those who don't want the virus to be anything serious will handwave it away and insist it isn't, even if there's data that doesn't really show that reality (or visa versa) or they see data but don't think it's real. Then it becomes about feelings and frustration and reacting and "well what about..."

On top of that people can't see the virus without a powerful microscope and we live in a society that is all about "pics or it didn't happen!!" If a person has no personal connection to the virus, either themselves or a friend or loved one, then to them it's no big deal, maybe not so real, and it's easy to handwave it away.

The conflict is how to stay healthy, how to protect "the public" and how to find a reasonable compromise that allows more normalcy and open businesses to the greatest extent possible.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
T..

The message from the start should have been to encourage people not to buy medical-grade masks but to consider wearing some sort of face covering until more is known about the respiratory disease.

)
There were no masks available at that time. I ordered masks in February WELL before all hell broke loose and I had to search to get some. They came three weeks later. Sad to say, it was known that masks could help and they should have told people use what you can back then. But we weren't prepared (that's been beaten deader than the horse) and now masks are part of a big conspiracy. Even when they DID say use a mask, they weren't widely available but by then people had figured out to make them and the gov't had figured out some work arounds to make them from bandanas, etc.

I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the lady who was rode out of a store on Staten Island for not wearing a mask. What's interesting about SI is that it's heavily Republican but many, many residents are FDNY, NYPD or medical professionals (particularly nurses). They simply aren't having it.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:29 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the lady who was rode out of a store on Staten Island for not wearing a mask. What's interesting about SI is that it's heavily Republican but many, many residents are FDNY, NYPD or medical professionals (particularly nurses). They simply aren't having it.
That's where my theory goes about people in Raleigh comes into play. I personally do not know anybody here who has gotten sick from COVID-19 so that plays into how I assess risk on a daily basis. I suspect the majority of people who don't care at the moment are at that point too.

If you are on Staten Island, chances are that you probably do (especially if you are a medical professional or in public safety). Once you see loved ones and friends dying, you'll probably take this more seriously. It suck that it's what it takes but it's human nature to ignore things that are happening until you directly are affected by it (this is why it sucks even more that there is not consistent messaging across the country about certain key issues).

Last edited by pierretong1991; 05-26-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary