Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There were no masks available at that time. I ordered masks in February WELL before all hell broke loose and I had to search to get some. They came three weeks later. Sad to say, it was known that masks could help and they should have told people use what you can back then. But we weren't prepared (that's been beaten deader than the horse) and now masks are part of a big conspiracy. Even when they DID say use a mask, they weren't widely available but by then people had figured out to make them and the gov't had figured out some work arounds to make them from bandanas, etc.

I'm sure everyone has seen the video of the lady who was rode out of a store on Staten Island for not wearing a mask. What's interesting about SI is that it's heavily Republican but many, many residents are FDNY, NYPD or medical professionals (particularly nurses). They simply aren't having it.

I said that to the guy in my golf story I shared above. "You know SI is by far the most Conservative part of NYC and is home to many first responders" and he was like "ya, no. Its NYC. Liberal Bastion".

Some people are simply beyond reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:42 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I said that to the guy in my golf story I shared above. "You know SI is by far the most Conservative part of NYC and is home to many first responders" and he was like "ya, no. Its NYC. Liberal Bastion".

Some people are simply beyond reach.

Over 60% went for Trump.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
That's where my theory goes about people in Raleigh comes into play. I personally do not know anybody here who has gotten sick from COVID-19 so that plays into how I assess risk on a daily basis. I suspect the majority of people who don't care at the moment are at that point too.

If you are on Staten Island, chances are that you probably do (especially if you are a medical professional or in public safety). Once you see loved ones and friends dying, you'll probably take this more seriously. It suck that it's what it takes but it's human nature to ignore things that are happening until you directly are affected by it (this is why it sucks even more that there is not consistent messaging across the country about certain key issues).
Agree. It's sort of like 9/11 where people saw that as an attack on NY. Talking to people who lived in different parts of the country I'm shocked at how life went on that day. I talked to one friend from Boston (where two of the planes flew out of) and she was surprised her pre natal class was cancelled that night. Meanwhile my neighbors were crying in the streets wondering if their husbands were coming home.

A couple of people posted on my nextdoor site this weekend that they had COVID or family members did, that's the first I've heard of anyone local having it. One guy is a bread delivery person for local groceries (and thinks he caught it from a takeout meal - not from being in and out of grocery stores....again people believing what they want to believe).

Old 05-26-2020, 10:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
I guess that proves anecdotally that masks aren't a political thing, but a data analysis thing? I'm pretty sure if NC had seen things as bad as NYC, more would be wearing masks.

Lots of people here look at the data and assess the risk, and don't see the advantage of wearing a mask. It's a personal choice that may or may not be unreasonable. Nobody knows.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I guess that proves anecdotally that masks aren't a political thing, but a data thing? I'm pretty sure if NC had seen things as bad as NYC, more would be wearing masks.

Lots of people here look at the data and assess the risk, and don't see the advantage of wearing a mask. It's a personal choice that may or may not be unreasonable. Nobody knows.

I wear a mask, and if people want to judge me that's fine. I'm not judging anyone who doesn't because I know there are reasons people don't that are not political, and can be as simple as they forgot to bring one (happened to me once, and if I'd been going somewhere really crowded, I would have gone back home, I keep an emergency mask in the car now). But - they are hard to breathe through and if you have COPD, asthma, are claustrophobic wearing a mask isn't going to work. BUT - that's why it's important for people who CAN wear them to DO so. That's just MHO. But to yell at someone that they are a sheep for wearing one - that's not only rude but cruel, you don't know if that person is undergoing cancer treatment, has an autoimmune disease, or lives with someone who does. I've mentioned before a couple of local kids who have cancer....one of them has a parent who is an admin at the high school she attends. She missed last year of school and I'm sure neither one of them is looking forward to this year.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:06 AM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I guess that proves anecdotally that masks aren't a political thing, but a data analysis thing? I'm pretty sure if NC had seen things as bad as NYC, more would be wearing masks.

That's what I have heard from people. From your posts, it seems like you live in the zipcode 27519, is that correct?

If you look at NCDHHS zipcode date, 27519 I think only has 38 cases. 27519 has a population of around 55-60k. That's quite a bit less than 1%.

People hear those numbers and don't see the advantage of wearing a mask. Can you blame them? This is how humans think/do risk assessments.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
That's what I have heard from people. From your posts, it seems like you live in the zipcode 27519, is that correct?

If you look at NCDHHS zipcode date, 27519 I think only has 38 cases. 27519 has a population of around 55-60k. That's quite a bit less than 1%.

People hear those numbers and don't see the advantage of wearing a mask. Can you blame them? This is how humans think/do risk assessments.
But that cuts both ways correct?

For instance, on the state website, my zip code has 82 cases and 4 deaths. Thats a tiny fraction of my zip code for either number (as a % of total pop.) Yet, my direct next door neighbor had it.

So which risk should I work from? The overall zip code level, that admittedly is tiny? Or my "real life" level, where someone who lives less than 100 feet away had it?

Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

Yeah - 27519 was I think at 33 cases a few weeks back. Let me see if I can find my post to confirm....

Edit: Yeah as of 5/7, 27519 had 31 cases. It has increased by seven in just under three weeks.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

So which risk should I work from? The overall zip code level, that admittedly is tiny? Or my "real life" level, where someone who lives less than 100 feet away had it?
I would say do whatever you're most comfortable with, but don't judge others that do otherwise.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 AM

347 posts, read 522,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
What I want to know is- who are the people with that mentality listening to that's making them feel this way? There's an eerie consistency in the language of people saying things along those lines, along with a distinct streak of smug arrogance. Where is that coming from?
George Carlin summed it up pretty well. "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

That gets us started. I think another part of the problem is some folks don't have the emotional development required to cope with this type of phenomena. Their minds simply won't allow them to absorb and adjust what what is happening, so instead they carry on by pretending it isn't.

Now let's add in the nature of scientific discovery all the new information we're hearing about this virus. How it spreads. Who is affected. How long it survives on surfaces. Where is came from. So many folks don't understand that science changes all the time, and when they hear contrary information that may be only 2 weeks old, they begin to distrust science because it may be contradictory to what they've been told.

It's a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary