Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 12:30 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Key phrase "when sick".

We are being told to wear them whether sick or not.
Actually in parts of Asia, it's common to wear them whether you're sick or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 12:32 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Key phrase "when sick".

We are being told to wear them whether sick or not.
Well the story you shared talked about during COVID correct? Where someone may or may not know they are sick?

I've been wearing a mask since this thing started and have no issues continuing to do so as long as it's "here".

And yes, going forward, when someone is feeling ill (say with a cold or the flu as you put it) and needs to go out for some reason (maybe like that good ole 'Merican tradition of going to work sick) that they would wear a mask when doing so.

I know I am being naive. 'Mericans are far too rugged individualists and entitled to ever, en masse, look out for the people around them....and that is certainly their right to be a selfish s**t bird.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:35 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Unless the mask improves your appearance, I'd wager you're just trolling.
You would lose.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Well the story you shared talked about during COVID correct? Where someone may or may not know they are sick?

I've been wearing a mask since this thing started and have no issues continuing to do so as long as it's "here".

And yes, going forward, when someone is feeling ill (say with a cold or the flu as you put it) and needs to go out for some reason (maybe like that good ole 'Merican tradition of going to work sick) that they would wear a mask when doing so.

I know I am being naive. 'Mericans are far too rugged individualists and entitled to ever, en masse, look out for the people around them....and that is certainly their right to be a selfish s**t bird.
Americans are also the one of, if not the, most generous of all cultures....while we may have an "up yours" attitude we are also extremely generous to strangers, and not just other Americans.

The least generous? China. But they do wear masks, so there's that.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Americans are also the one of, if not the, most generous of all cultures....while we may have an "up yours" attitude we are also extremely generous to strangers, and not just other Americans.

The least generous? China. But they do wear masks, so there's that.

Ya because we are clearly talking about people's charitable donations which benefit them as much as the person/group they are donating to.

Come on Baby!

Old 06-11-2020, 01:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ya because we are clearly talking about people's charitable donations which benefit them as much as the person/group they are donating to.

Come on Baby!
You're going to have to explain that one to me. Unless you mean when the wealthy "donate" to get some laws changed. Totally different than what that article is referencing.

After traveling around I just do not have as much disdain for this country than you do I guess. Hands down one of the most arrogant and racist cultures is Japan, but they do wear lots of masks!!

Old 06-11-2020, 01:11 PM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
If you have a comfortable mask, it's not that bad to wear them when needed. After making a bunch of my own masks with ties, I bought a couple cloth masks with elastic because last I checked, elastic is sold out everywhere. The elastic on those masks is so wide that it hurts my ears and the mask is basically unwearable. So if your reasoning for hating masks is that they're uncomfortable, keep in mind there are lots of options out there. Also if you're buying cloth masks with elastic, pay attention to how wide it is. If the seller doesn't say, ask.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
If you have a comfortable mask, it's not that bad to wear them when needed. After making a bunch of my own masks with ties, I bought a couple cloth masks with elastic because last I checked, elastic is sold out everywhere. The elastic on those masks is so wide that it hurts my ears and the mask is basically unwearable. So if your reasoning for hating masks is that they're uncomfortable, keep in mind there are lots of options out there. Also if you're buying cloth masks with elastic, pay attention to how wide it is. If the seller doesn't say, ask.
I don't think it's the ears that most people are uncomfortable with. Speaking for myself, it's my unbearably hot breath. I run hot to begin with, so being trapped in with my breath is not a fun experience for me. Makes me sweat and I feel like I'm suffocating. Thankfully I never have to wear a mask more than 20 minutes or so at a time, but I don't see myself getting on an airplane for example with a mask.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You're going to have to explain that one to me. Unless you mean when the wealthy "donate" to get some laws changed. Totally different than what that article is referencing.

After traveling around I just do not have as much disdain for this country than you do I guess. Hands down one of the most arrogant and racist cultures is Japan, but they do wear lots of masks!!
I said "'Mericans are far too rugged individualists and entitled to ever, en masse, look out for the people around them....and that is certainly their right to be a selfish s**t bird."

To which you countered that point with "Americans are also the one of, if not the, most generous of all of all cultures", with a link talking about, in part, the amount Americans give to Charitable Organizations (which directly benefits the giver as well as the receiver through tax breaks) as proof of their generosity to counter, I presume(?) the "selfish s**t bird" quip.

Listen, if Joe Q Public gives $1M to charity a year yet doesn't think twice going out in public while he is neck deep with a contagious sickness, he is still a selfish s**t bird. You are free to disagree with that.

I don't have any disdain for this country. I love this country and all that she has afforded me. Further the fact that I spent as much time as I did outside of it, I know how bad some alternatives could be first hand. I grew up in a Military Dictatorship run by Oligarchs and Cronies who curtailed the rights and opportunities of the citizens.

But that doesn't mean she is perfect or exists without warts or couldn't be made better....and that certainly doesn't mean there aren't stupid, dumb, arrogant, ignorant, selfish, entitled, confused Americans. America is an idea, and a righteous one at that. Americans are willful, sentient beings, and can be judged accordingly.

Last edited by GVoR; 06-11-2020 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-11-2020, 01:35 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't think it's the ears that most people are uncomfortable with. Speaking for myself, it's my unbearably hot breath. I run hot to begin with, so being trapped in with my breath is not a fun experience for me. Makes me sweat and I feel like I'm suffocating. Thankfully I never have to wear a mask more than 20 minutes or so at a time, but I don't see myself getting on an airplane for example with a mask.
I think for the summer, people will find that the disposable surgical masks are much more comfortable than fabric masks. I saw a YouTube vid (can't find it now) that measured the temperature difference between the two, and it was a good 10-15 degree difference.

I have both ... the fabric mask for when I'm just running to the grocery store or need it short term, and the disposable kinds if I know that I'm going to need to wear it longer or will be outside and hot. If I end up able to go to Disney in the fall, I'm definitely taking the disposable masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary