Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 12:03 PM

5,808 posts, read 6,868,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I’m hearing a number of DT business owners and DT residents ask the same question : “Where did the police disappear to last night?”
I was watching WRAL when the CVS was first breached. I was asking the same thing, since they had just shown a long line of police and heavy vehicles that looked to be only a couple blocks away. The police finally got to the CVS with a flood of tear gas, which cleared everyone from the scene. The police then left the area, and the looters reappeared. The police later returned in force with more tear gas.

I was wondering why after they first arrived on the scene, why didn't they leave a couple police officers to stand outside the CVS, instead of having everyone leave the scene. That way, they would not have had to return en masse with more tear gas (as well as prevented more damage to the CVS).

I really feel sorry for all of the business owners in the area. They were just trying to get back on their feet after COVID-19. The damage has to be the final nail in the coffin for some of the businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 12:08 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,880,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I was watching WRAL when the CVS was first breached. I was asking the same thing, since they had just shown a long line of police and heavy vehicles that looked to be only a couple blocks away. The police finally got to the CVS with a flood of tear gas, which cleared everyone from the scene. The police then left the area, and the looters reappeared. The police later returned in force with more tear gas.

I was wondering why after they first arrived on the scene, why didn't they leave a couple police officers to stand outside the CVS, instead of having everyone leave the scene. That way, they would not have had to return en masse with more tear gas (as well as prevented more damage to the CVS).

I really feel sorry for all of the business owners in the area. They were just trying to get back on their feet after COVID-19. The damage has to be the final nail in the coffin for some of the businesses.
Spot on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
My friends were downtown. The police were shooting them with tear gas and rubber bullets to break things up before it got violent. There were several reports of it happening on Twitter. The local news I’ve seen has been focused on the looting.
Thank you .

Old 05-31-2020, 02:05 PM

875 posts, read 1,158,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryHeel View Post
Wow. About the only thing you forgot to add to your diatribe is that you have black friends. Critical thinking not being taught in schools anymore is a feature, not a bug. Certain lawmakers have spent decades trying to strip public schools of the ability to teach such ‘lib’ ideas because they fear an educated, thinking population is a threat to them. And if you really think the so called ‘grievance industry’ is to blame for the increase in public displays of racism you apparently skipped those classes, too.

I really don't appreciate the implication I am some sort of racist. Disagreement does not equal racism.

I was referring to the fact that students are being taught to follow a narrative instead of facts. The grievance industry amplifies events well past their expiration date to continue to set a false narrative and divide us. Even now, despite grand jury testimony stating the opposite they keep bringing out the "hands up don't shoot" trope. There have been several hoax incidents that detract from real incidents.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:35 PM

119 posts, read 80,329 times
Laughable to think that white nationalist are responsible for the rioting around the country. That is strictly cover for the Dems because this all comes from the left. Period.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,202,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
Laughable to think that white nationalist are responsible for the rioting around the country. That is strictly cover for the Dems because this all comes from the left. Period.
Yea, I was surprised to see a few people who I thought were intelligent attempting to gaslight people into thinking this was somehow a trick by white supremacists. I watched the protest live. While you can't look and tell who is a white supremacist, most of the looters were black and the ones that weren't seemed to be accompanied by black people. While I wouldn't be surprised if some right wing extremists were there and did some bad stuff, the vast majority of the violence was perpetrated by leftist extremists and angry black people. They looked to me like the same anarchist agitators that are always making trouble.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:53 PM

309 posts, read 320,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Shoutout to Durham for as of 9:40 pm having completely peaceful protests.

2 thumbs up to Durham.

It was hard to watch what was going in Raleigh. I had to change the channel.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Proud of Durham today.

Go Durm
I'd say cautiously optimistic. The troublemakers went to Raleigh last night. We may get ours tonight.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,959,541 times
Quote:
I had friends downtown that said the protest was peaceful. There were outside instigators that started the vandalism and looting. Downtown Raleigh has been spray painted with white nationalist symbols. Given that there have been multiple reports of this happening around the country, it’s hard to believe this is not a coordinated effort to sow division.
Quote:
My friends were downtown. The police were shooting them with tear gas and rubber bullets to break things up before it got violent. There were several reports of it happening on Twitter. The local news I’ve seen has been focused on the looting.
You need to sort out which lie you want to peddle

Old 05-31-2020, 03:51 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,173,197 times
Both of those things can be true. My friends told me that police shot tear gas and rubber bullets at peaceful protestors and the instigators smashing windows were white.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I'd say cautiously optimistic. The troublemakers went to Raleigh last night. We may get ours tonight.
Word is there will be a protest at Southpoint tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary