U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 05:53 PM

22 posts, read 78,002 times

Advertisements

I have family coming to visit next weekend and am looking for things to do. I saw the website about the Apex Peak Festival. I wanted to attempt going on Saturday but couldn't find any information about parking or shuttles, etc. Also, did anyone go last year that can give me feedback about the festival? Is it hard to find parking? Would we have to walk a ways to get in? Is it overly crowded? Would a 2.5 year old be entertained as well as my 70 year old parents? I ask because I will have my toddler with us and we did not have much luck at the Lazy Daze Arts and crafts festival last summer. The art they had there was great and interesting to look at but not with a child in tow. It was so crowded you couldn't move, especially with a stroller. Next year I will go alone with a friend. Also, the Easter Egg Hunt at Bond Park last month was a complete nightmare. We pulled into the park with our car and were stuck in a crazy line of cars to get the correct field for the egg hunt. By the time we parked and made it there, we heard the egg hunt ended in about 3 minutes with a handful of kids getting 30 eggs a piece and the majority of the kids who couldn't make it to the field on time because of the crowd got nothing. It was a bummer and getting in and out was horrific. If I ever went again I would leave an hour early and park across the street. Anyways, I am looking for insider's tips on this Apex Peak Festival so I can decide whether or not I should attempt it or skip it. We are in West Cary so any other ideas people have for what to do Thur, Friday, Sat and Sunday of this coming week would be appreciated. THANKS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 PM

3,220 posts, read 7,230,512 times
I used to live downtown and actually had people park in my driveway and in my YARD. Was not a happy camper that day. Parking is a mess that day.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM

574 posts, read 1,162,155 times
We honestly don't go to Peak Week any more, and haven't gone to the Apex egg hunt in a couple of years because of the bad experiences you described in Cary. Anyway, there is no place to park for Peak Week (which I guess now we'll call it Peak Weekend?), you fight with the masses to find a spot "around town", usually in some poor soul's yard like Dire said and depending how early you are there, it could be quite a walk.

My take on these things is that they planned them out when the towns were MUCH smaller and haven't changed much since. There are just TOO many people for what is there. And when you do get into Peak, it just wasn't all that exciting. A few art vendors. Face painting with a huge line. Um...don't remember what else but we didn't stay long. Our family has had a lot more fun at the Raleigh Farmer's Market and/or the stuff they have going on at the State Fairgrounds (I think they have a website that says what they do each weekend).

Now I'm sure there will be a ton of people that praise Peak Festival as the most fun thing they've ever been to, they got a primo parking spot, didn't have to walk and had the time of their lives. So like all things take everyone's experience with a grain of salt and think about how much chaos you're willing to endure. You may find it a fun time. We didn't.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 AM

574 posts, read 1,162,155 times
Here's the State Fairgrounds schedule

Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM

22 posts, read 78,002 times
Dire Wolf and Holly, thank you for your responses. That was kind of what I figured. I will probably avoid it. Its a shame because the ideas are good in theory but there is no management of the crowds. I will check out the State Fairgrounds schedule. Did anyone run into the same issues at the Spring Daze Festival at Bond Park this past weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary