Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM

75 posts, read 65,027 times

Advertisements

Hey all-
I wish to reduce my cell phone bill for a family of four. Wondering if any of you have switched from Verizon Wireless to another carrier and how the experience worked for you. We've been with Verizon for easily over 10 years, so I'm hesitant but - lowering this monthly payment could really help manage our household budget better. Thanks for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:52 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,429 times
Republic Wireless is incredible.

Lots of money saved over 4 years.

I buy my near-new Amazon Warehouse Motorola phones for under $100 and use Republic's free SIM card.

Their phones use wi-fi and only switch to a tower, when I am away from wi-fi.
Spectrum has many access points in the area.

Talk & Text + 1 GB Cell Data:

$20.00 + tax per month.

Thorough review: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/republi...ews-25371.html

Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
I've been using AT&T and T-Mobile prepaid services since I moved to Raleigh, no problems at all.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:06 AM

628 posts, read 400,016 times
I use Total Wireless, a Verizon MVNO. Much cheaper than Verizon.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:15 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
I previously had Verizon for a long time. Liking their coverage (best nationwide and in NC) but not liking my bill, I switched to Net10 which is a prepaid carrier utilizing Verizon towers. Over time a new division from the same overall head Co (Tracfone) was created called Total Wireless which was less than Net10. It uses Verizon towers exclusively.

For a four line family line you're looking at around $100 give or take including taxes for unlimited talk/text and 100 gb shared data. Taxes on prepaid lines are significantly less than taxes on post paid. You can even put your account in OR and pay under a $1 per line in taxes...

You can either use unlocked Verizon phones or purchase Total's phones. My iPhone SE was bought brand new from Walmart for $129 a few years ago. What's cool is after a year, Total unlocks the phones and if you want to get a new one, you can sell the unlocked phone on eBay for as much or more than what you paid for it. There is almost no depreciation loss.

There is a gotcha. The initial startup up period can be rough. The CS reps are not US based and there are no local stores. If you are ok with new numbers, it is painless. Otherwise, transferring your number can be a bit involved but utilizing the online process is the best way. I had my number transferred in under 5 mins and up and working. My wife, went a day without texting working. I can't remember what fixed it. Actually, after the first month was up her phone stopped working and I had to call and rejigger the phones and reset it. So it can have it's headaches. But that only happens at the beginning. Just use autopay and it's completely indistinguishable from post paid after the spin up process.

What I kept telling myself, and now it's been years, is each year I save $600. So over the past three years it's $1,800 in my pocket and not Verizon's.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
I also use Total Wireless and have been happy with them. The only issue I have is since it's CDMA-only (or at least was in the past), it makes it a little bit of a pain to change phones.

I had Ting in the past on Sprint CDMA, as well as I believe T-Mobile GSM. Both were fine, I only switched because I wanted to be on the Verizon network.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Verizon family here. We tried T-Mo and AT&T before we moved down. Just couldn't cut it with the sub par service (can't speak to the quality of either here). I wouldn't touch Sprint with a 10 foot pole (although they may be better than they were in 2008)

2 lines (iPhone 11 Pro Max financed, iPhone X paid off), unlimited data, hot spot, Robo blocker. 40% employer discount. I'm sure I could find a way to save another 40 bucks by switching, just isn't worth the hassle. Dave Ramsey would probably disagree.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:11 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
How often do you venture to more rural areas? One advantage for Verizon is they bought Alltel, who already had most of the rural areas of NC covered. As such, VZW's coverage is great throughout the state.

2 years ago, we switched to TMobile - $70/month for 2 phones with unlimited everything (plus free data overseas). The one disadvantage is coverage is sometimes spotty in very rural locations. Other than that, we have been happy.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:09 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
We are a 5 phone family and use Cricket Wireless. We pay $125 a month for unlimited call, text, and data. A 4 person family would be $100. We use our own unlocked phones and have the free ones as an emergency backup.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,600,194 times
If you like Verizon’s service and don’t need roaming (extended network) check out Visible.

https://www.visible.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: