Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 08:04 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times

Advertisements

So I finally got the notice, Google Fiber is available in my hood (South Cary). They say free installation and equipment, $70/mo.

My question, for anyone who knows: Is this offer good for a while? My current agreement with ATT runs out, I think, in October. I'd like to see it out for now, and then switch to Google closer to that date.

I seem to remember, this was a couple years ago, that it was implied that you have to get hooked up to Google when they are new in your neighborhood, otherwise, there might be fees to pay, or the deal would be different. Is that a valid concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So I finally got the notice, Google Fiber is available in my hood (South Cary). They say free installation and equipment, $70/mo.

My question, for anyone who knows: Is this offer good for a while? My current agreement with ATT runs out, I think, in October. I'd like to see it out for now, and then switch to Google closer to that date.

I seem to remember, this was a couple years ago, that it was implied that you have to get hooked up to Google when they are new in your neighborhood, otherwise, there might be fees to pay, or the deal would be different. Is that a valid concern?
When we for Google fiber a few years ago, they did say there might be additional fees if one didn't get it when it was initially available. I'm unaware if that's true or not. (We got Google fiber the minute we could, and they will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands before I give it up.)

I'd call them and ask. Explain about you contact with AT&T. If the rep says there are no additional fees if you wait, ask him/her to send that information to your email. Documentation is gold. Verbal commitments are worthless.

PS Google TV was pretty bad.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:56 AM

4,298 posts, read 5,965,980 times
Google won't even sell TV to new customers anymore...they gave it up. They'll push you to YouTube TV or Fubo.

I too don't know for sure about any deadline, as I signed up as soon as it was available at my house. Originally they had people sign up in advance to get Google to build it out in their neighborhood and there were installation fees if you got a cheaper plan, but they gave that up years ago.

But I do see this on their Raleigh information page:

Quote:
Then sign up by your deadline
We don't currently have plans to return to fiberhoods once their sign-up periods have ended. Sign up now so you don't miss out.
https://fiber.google.com/cities/triangle/how/

Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 AM

644 posts, read 839,823 times
[quote=Jkgourmet;58290942]When we for Google fiber a few years ago, they did say there might be additional fees if one didn't get it when it was initially available. I'm unaware if that's true or not. (We got Google fiber the minute we could, and they will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands before I give it up.)

I'd call them and ask. Explain about you contact with AT&T. If the rep says there are no additional fees if you wait, ask him/her to send that information to your email. Documentation is gold. Verbal commitments are worthless.

PS Google TV was pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Google TV was not implemented really well. YouTube TV is pretty awesome so long as you're okay with streaming TV. Unlimited DVR. Plethora of channels. Organize channels however you want.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:35 AM

8 posts, read 3,876 times
It's been available for probably 6 months in my neighborhood. It was $70 when it was first available, and I still get letters and emails offering it for $70.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:50 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,545,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I wouldn't worry too much that they'll jack the price up anytime soon after the initial offer. It behooves them to get in your house one way or another and they most certainly are aware folks have contracts that need to play out.

Don't sweat it. (BTW - it's well worth the wait)

Old 06-11-2020, 03:20 PM

464 posts, read 1,042,164 times
What do you get for that $70 / month? Is it gigabit? Google didnt make it up here but did put the fear of god in AT&T who built out our neightborhood with fiber. At the time Google was offering a 100/100 plan for $50 / month and AT&T wanted to one up with a 300/300 for the same price which is what we have.

I have been told after Google backed out of planned development that AT&T quit offering the 300/300 plan and dropped to 100/100 for $50/month so we just cant make any changes but are grandfathered in for "life".

Old 06-11-2020, 08:41 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,175,923 times
Google got rid of the 100 plan and now offer 500 for $55. You get a GB for $70.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 PM

4,298 posts, read 5,965,980 times
Yes, $70 for gigabit up and down. No additional taxes or fees on it.

As mentioned, there was a 100/100 plan for $50, but Google got rid of it and bumped all of those customers (me!) to 500/500 for $55. That plan is only for grandfathered folks...not available for new signups.

Old 06-12-2020, 05:04 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Update: I called Google and they said there is no deadline or expiration, so I will just call them a couple weeks before my ATT expires (actually in November, not October as I had originally thought).

Thanks for all the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary