Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:57 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Tax burden is a very individual calculation. Websites that proclaim to rank states do so with some variable of average income/housing cost. If one skews either side of each (or both) that calculation isn't accurate.

As far as Covid goes, Texas was one of the first states to open up on May 1st and has seen a steady decline in deaths. No large peak even six weeks later. Personally, I think they made a great call with the info available now. Some people/states are more cautious, that doesn't mean they have made the "right" or "wrong" choice either...just a different path.

If you think DFW was packed recently, you've never been there during more normal times!!
My in-laws live in DFW, the highlighted part is simply not true. The hospitalizations have been growing in TX since they opened. Here is a snippet and link to the Tx Tribune, and article from yesterday:

Quote:
For the second day in a row, Texas has reported a record number of patients hospitalized with the new coronavirus, a metric Gov. Greg Abbott has said he’s watching as businesses continue reopening and limits on their operations are loosened.

Data released Tuesday by the Texas Department of State Health Services shows 2,056 people were hospitalized with COVID-19, up from 1,935 the day before. The previous high was May 5, when 1,888 people were hospitalized.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...pitalizations/

Anyway you could not pay me to live in DFW. The only place I would agree to live in TX would be Austin. Even then, it'll take a LOT for me to make that decision.

- Weather is awful. It's much hotter for a longer per period of time.
- Too conservative. And, we are not talking about fiscal, "western rugged individualism" here. It's just straight up "Obama gone git our guns" bat-**** crazy. I remember watching a documentary where tons of conservative evangelicals basically moved to FW and the adjacent areas en mass (from Cali). Politics and demographics are changing in places like El-Paso, Houston, San Antonio, etc. But, I am not sure about DFW (I know Dallas votes blue... but it's surrounded by ocean of deep red voters). This in fact could be a plus for someone, not for me.
- Ugly. It keeps sprawling and there are no trees to hide it.
- Not as educated as the Triangle residents. For some people this may not matter, but increasingly this is becoming a reason for companies to choose certain areas. Triangle continues being attractive for companies because of educated work force.
- Don't care for TX culture (except for food of course, haha). The whole fake cowboy culture is a complete turn off for me. I am not talking about real cowboys, the cattleman etc. I am talking about those who have never touched a cow, but somehow have the most expensive cowboy hat and boots. They wear it everywhere and that's practically their "identity."
- Finally, and most importantly, business and economy of certain TX areas (not Austin) is still dependent on oil and gas. Things may sound okay today, but what's going to happen when there is a bust, just like nowadays. Too risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 10:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
$700k house so close to the arrival path passengers can spit on it (look at the satellite map):

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M70038-67957

I've watched them build this neighborhood over the past few years...every time I was like who is buying these things?

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the creepy devil birds and their nightly "squawking".

Last edited by wheelsup; 06-10-2020 at 10:18 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
My in-laws live in DFW, the highlighted part is simply not true. The hospitalizations have been growing in TX since they opened. Here is a snippet and link to the Tx Tribune, and article from yesterday:
Yes it is 100% true. There has not been a large peak in deaths even six weeks after opening. In fact, deaths are declining.

There are reports from other countries notably Italy that the virus is weakening in general.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone moved here from the DFW area?-7c4db646-abe6-43d0-9191-2e5b3805d215.jpeg  

Old 06-10-2020, 10:32 AM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Yes it is 100% true. There has not been a large peak in deaths even six weeks after opening. In fact, deaths are declining.
So number of deaths is the only statistic that matters?

Old 06-10-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
So number of deaths is the only statistic that matters?
Well it was the one I quoted when I posted, and was told it wasn't true.

You can feel free to stay locked up in your home! I *personally* like that Texas is giving me that option.

Me? I'm enjoying going to the gym among other things and getting back to life as we once knew it.

If you're interested in some historical perspective on coronaviruses, this is a well written piece:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...ssian-pandemic

Old 06-10-2020, 02:37 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Well it was the one I quoted when I posted, and was told it wasn't true.
Yes, I know, thus my question, which you assiduously avoided answering.

Quote:
You can feel free to stay locked up in your home! I *personally* like that Texas is giving me that option.
I'm not doing that, but thanks for giving me your permission!

Old 06-10-2020, 05:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBlue111 View Post
DFW felt very dystopian to me with the massive multi-lane superhighways in every direction. It is rinse repeat for mile upon mile connected by the most dystopian-like maze of super highways. I found it depressing to have to get on those dystopian super highways to go over to the next town or the next and that town likely looked just like my town. I spent the most depressing dystopic Christmas Eve of my lifetime at a chain restaurant in Irving this past year. My spouse worked there during our time in DFW and became somewhat sullen and down due to the very unattractive, dystopian surroundings of his work setting. I keep using the word dystopian because I just can't think of another word to describe some of these DFW places.
Someone learned a new word this week

Old 06-10-2020, 06:26 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Wow, a lot of great info so far, I'm going back to the start to re-read it all.

I did sort of know that it wasn't as aesthetically nice as here, and that it is bland. From what I'm reading that meh-ness is not as ignore-able as I imagined

So far no one mentioned scorpions, a near-deal breaker for me.

I guess living in downtown is not so common there.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:03 PM

64 posts, read 46,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Someone learned a new word this week
Oh no, friend. That is a favorite word of mine to describe a lot very suburban sprawling places. That word and I go way way back.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:08 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Wow, a lot of great info so far, I'm going back to the start to re-read it all.

I did sort of know that it wasn't as aesthetically nice as here, and that it is bland. From what I'm reading that meh-ness is not as ignore-able as I imagined

So far no one mentioned scorpions, a near-deal breaker for me.

I guess living in downtown is not so common there.
I have only seen scorpions in the country. FIL has a ranch that scorpions seem to love.
Snakes are my big thing and there are plenty of bad snakes - coral, cottonmouths, and rattlers. Yuck, yuck, yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary