Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 07:46 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,841 times

Advertisements

I love the Texas Hill Country, but it was also where I learned to put my shoes up on a bench to ensure scorpions didn’t crawl into them at my grandparents’ house. In DFW, they aren’t a real issue. I do love watching armadillos rummage about. They even race them in Texas! That was a hoot. Try doing that with a ‘possum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
I am currently in DFW. Been here since 1991 where I moved to McKinney, a suburb just 35 mins north, and am actually moving to Raleigh in the next 4 weeks for work (so Id love to hear more from you DFW folks about living there!).

There are things I agree with, no question; traffic here is god awful. Its insanely hot. You are good for a snowstorm every 5 years or so. Also every 5 or so years, it rains a ton. Generally, June to August is very little rain, if at all. Can't remember who said it but absolutely yes to the constant wind. I like to run and at some point there is always a stiff wind in your face.

As far as the housing, it isn't cheap. It is very expensive in the Dallas proper. Rental rates are soaring and there is lack of apartment vacancy. The suburbs, however, is a bit of a different story but even that is evaporating. You have to look in Anna, Celina, Denton...places 50 miles+ outside of Dallas as Frisco, McKinney, Plano, (the closer 'burbs) etc are busting at the seems with people moving in....and all the houses look exactly the same in these suburbs..McMansionland. There are some great neighborhoods in Dallas, though. Big trees,etc..look at Lakewood, Little Forest Hills, M Streets area filled with old tudor homes and grand builds from better years(all in east Dallas)....sadly, those are disappearing, but so far relatively slowly. No state income tax, but property tax rates are insane and getting much, much worse. Sales tax is also at 8.25%.

Not only highways everywhere, but also a lot of tollroads. I work in Plano (23 miles away) currently, and I either have to get on two separate toll roads to get there within 45 mins in the morning or cut across Plano and take 1+ hr to get there using their city streets and a billion stoplights. Tolls cost me $100+/mnth.

If you want a beach, there are a few lakes, but ocean? 5 -6 hours for a "good" one. 9+ hrs to S. Padre.

There are two distinct drivers here. Speed limits are 70 mph. The majority goes over that, and then there has been this new development within the past 2 to 3 years, as people have come from other states I assume, of cars doing 15 mph under the speed limit! There is zero care in which lanes you are doing this....55 mph person in the left, 86 mph weaving in and out of everyone....its pretty much Thunderdome on the roads with some stretches being absolute bananas.

I am going to miss it here because there are some really cool things to do. Lots of live music, the modern art scene/symphony scene is fantastic. If you are a foodie, you will love finding all the great gems and world class gems in the city. Great Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese, Ethiopian, Vietnamese food scenes in pockets around DFW. Also a great vegan/vegetarian scene if you are into that. All the sports leagues here, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, and some minor league ball, as well.

Wont miss the diabolical heat and the traffic.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:12 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trztamu View Post
I am currently in DFW. Been here since 1991 where I moved to McKinney, a suburb just 35 mins north, and am actually moving to Raleigh in the next 4 weeks for work (so Id love to hear more from you DFW folks about living there!).

There are things I agree with, no question; traffic here is god awful. Its insanely hot. You are good for a snowstorm every 5 years or so. Also every 5 or so years, it rains a ton. Generally, June to August is very little rain, if at all. Can't remember who said it but absolutely yes to the constant wind. I like to run and at some point there is always a stiff wind in your face.

As far as the housing, it isn't cheap. It is very expensive in the Dallas proper. Rental rates are soaring and there is lack of apartment vacancy. The suburbs, however, is a bit of a different story but even that is evaporating. You have to look in Anna, Celina, Denton...places 50 miles+ outside of Dallas as Frisco, McKinney, Plano, (the closer 'burbs) etc are busting at the seems with people moving in....and all the houses look exactly the same in these suburbs..McMansionland. There are some great neighborhoods in Dallas, though. Big trees,etc..look at Lakewood, Little Forest Hills, M Streets area filled with old tudor homes and grand builds from better years(all in east Dallas)....sadly, those are disappearing, but so far relatively slowly. No state income tax, but property tax rates are insane and getting much, much worse. Sales tax is also at 8.25%.

Not only highways everywhere, but also a lot of tollroads. I work in Plano (23 miles away) currently, and I either have to get on two separate toll roads to get there within 45 mins in the morning or cut across Plano and take 1+ hr to get there using their city streets and a billion stoplights. Tolls cost me $100+/mnth.

If you want a beach, there are a few lakes, but ocean? 5 -6 hours for a "good" one. 9+ hrs to S. Padre.

There are two distinct drivers here. Speed limits are 70 mph. The majority goes over that, and then there has been this new development within the past 2 to 3 years, as people have come from other states I assume, of cars doing 15 mph under the speed limit! There is zero care in which lanes you are doing this....55 mph person in the left, 86 mph weaving in and out of everyone....its pretty much Thunderdome on the roads with some stretches being absolute bananas.

I am going to miss it here because there are some really cool things to do. Lots of live music, the modern art scene/symphony scene is fantastic. If you are a foodie, you will love finding all the great gems and world class gems in the city. Great Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese, Ethiopian, Vietnamese food scenes in pockets around DFW. Also a great vegan/vegetarian scene if you are into that. All the sports leagues here, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, and some minor league ball, as well.

Wont miss the diabolical heat and the traffic.
We left Allen 5 years ago. My only complaint is that there is no good Texas BBQ here. When we head back to visit we always make at least one stop at Hutchins BBQ. I love that we can be out of doors most of the year here and there is much more to do here. I love the trees and terrain. The highest point here is not any of the overpasses.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:59 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
We left Allen 5 years ago. My only complaint is that there is no good Texas BBQ here. When we head back to visit we always make at least one stop at Hutchins BBQ. I love that we can be out of doors most of the year here and there is much more to do here. I love the trees and terrain. The highest point here is not any of the overpasses.
No good TEXAS bbq in NORTH CAROLINA? Who'd have thunk. I prefer to believe there is no good NC bbq in Texas.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:36 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
My only complaint is that there is no good Texas BBQ here. When we head back to visit we always make at least one stop at Hutchins BBQ.
We went on a mission to find Texas BBQ when we moved here 13 years ago. Danny's BBQ had it, and it was OK. There was also a guy in Garner, supposedly from San Antonio, but I don't think that place lasted very long. Then Dickey's opened up in Cary and we went there once in a while. Dickey's in DFW is considered the lowest of the low in DFW, but it was the best we could find here. Now we go to City BBQ in Cary. They do a fairly good job. Most places don't understand how to cook it and it ends up too tough.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:40 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
No good TEXAS bbq in NORTH CAROLINA? Who'd have thunk. I prefer to believe there is no good NC bbq in Texas.
I am sure you are right. Not everyone cares for pulled pork and vinegar.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:07 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
DFW is interesting. Dallas and Fort Worth are opposites, as I read in a travel book about the area "If the two cities were cars, Dallas would be a BMW while Fort Worth would be an American pickup truck", having been to both it's quite accurate. The area is ridiculously large, the airport for instance gobbles up Manhattan on a map (land-wise). There's lots to do and see, the food is amazing, lots of beautiful women

There are a few similarities between the Triangle and DFW, they're both fast-growing areas, they do have some cultural activities that you won't find in smaller towns, Dr Pepper is to Texas as Cheerwine is to NC (I dislike both, but whatever) and BBQ is taken very seriously, but overall the vibe is different. Geographically it's different too as others have pointed out. Weather-wise, it's windier in DFW but as someone who has spent winter and summer in both, it's 6 one half dozen the other, or however you phrase that, YMMV but that's my take. I do agree about the concrete in DFW, it does heat up like an oven.

Source, my Dad moved from Raleigh to Frisco and lived there for 6 years, I myself almost moved there. Frisco would be the Cary of DFW, FWIW.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 06-19-2020 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 04:06 PM

215 posts, read 151,458 times
What about the Pay in Triangle (Cary, Raleigh, etc) vs Dallas Area?

Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 AM

64 posts, read 46,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Weather-wise, it's windier in DFW but as someone who has spent winter and summer in both, it's 6 one half dozen the other, or however you phrase that, YMMV but that's my take.
I like the more distinct four seasons here. I recall serving up the turkey and pumpkin pie on a warm muggy day last year in DFW, being barefoot outside with the Christmas tree up. Just wasn't very festive. Looking forward to proper cold, crisp temps during the holidays this year. The fall foliage in DFW is underwhelming as well.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,773 times
Love this thread, and thanks for your comments LadyBlue, they resonate. We currently live north of Dallas in the suburbs and are so sick of the heat and plainness of the area! We have lived in CO (Denver area) and PA (Pittsburgh area) and so miss Big beautiful trees, hills and mountains and NOT MELTING during June-Sept. Dallas has Big, gorgeous homes and nice people and lots of shopping and restaurants but we miss the beautiful outdoors!! We are looking at relocating to NC and just can’t decide on where. Any info about Raleigh, Cary or Charlotte is appreciated. Thanks all.

Last edited by Gypsie-girl; 06-21-2020 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary