Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 05:21 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

I'll see your "restriction of freedom" and go all in...
Call.

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/l...rt=mostpopular

Old 06-19-2020, 06:42 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
What is the bad thing about wearing a mask and trying to make this virus "die" and get back to some normalcy?

These people on Reopen NC are ridiculous. Many of these anti-mask advocates are also anti-abortion. Demand women to give birth and do nothing to protect anyone after birth.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
There are obvious times when wearing a mask doesn't really help. Jogging solo by yourself when you're not near anyone. Driving in your car with yourself or your family.

But as far as behavior when you're in close proximity with others (stores etc) it comes down to what type of person you are.

If you make a decision to follow traffic rules only when you think are likely to get caught/punished, and/or only to the extent of protecting yourself from getting hurt, then you probably won't wear a mask.

If you have a conscience, and drive safely because you are concerned about yourself *and* others, and know that our system of roads work optimally and safely when everybody follows the rules, then you probably will wear one.

If you cheat on your taxes figuring you probably won't get caught, you probably won't wear a mask.

If you do your honest best to figure out your tax burden, even if you don't agree with absolutely everything your taxes are funding, you probably will.

Basically, if you have any sense of community and responsibility beyond self serving, you will probably wear a mask.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:02 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Some humor on a Friday morning.

https://twitter.com/BrentTerhune/status/1263017752417062912?s=20

Old 06-19-2020, 07:03 AM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
There are obvious times when wearing a mask doesn't really help. Jogging solo by yourself when you're not near anyone. Driving in your car with yourself or your family.

But as far as behavior when you're in close proximity with others (stores etc) it comes down to what type of person you are.

If you make a decision to follow traffic rules only when you think are likely to get caught/punished, and/or only to the extent of protecting yourself from getting hurt, then you probably won't wear a mask.

If you have a conscience, and drive safely because you are concerned about yourself *and* others, and know that our system of roads work optimally and safely when everybody follows the rules, then you probably will wear one.

If you cheat on your taxes figuring you probably won't get caught, you probably won't wear a mask.

If you do your honest best to figure out your tax burden, even if you don't agree with absolutely everything your taxes are funding, you probably will.

Basically, if you have any sense of community and responsibility beyond self serving, you will probably wear a mask.
Yep. Nailed it!

Old 06-19-2020, 07:21 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Early testing results from Minneapolis after the protests started there: https://www.wired.com/story/what-min...vid-19-spread/

Old 06-19-2020, 08:25 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Early testing results from Minneapolis after the protests started there: https://www.wired.com/story/what-min...vid-19-spread/
I saw that yesterday but didn't really want to bring it up.

Tens of thousands screaming at the top of their lungs next to each other = no spread but 50-100 people in a bar = spread. Makes sense.

This is where I am having difficulty in understanding the effectiveness of masks. As much as it would be awesome if this disease dried up the day we all wore them, to me it feels like false hope.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:30 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I saw that yesterday but didn't really want to bring it up.

Tens of thousands screaming at the top of their lungs next to each other = no spread but 50-100 people in a bar = spread. Makes sense.

This is where I am having difficulty in understanding the effectiveness of masks. As much as it would be awesome if this disease dried up the day we all wore them, to me it feels like false hope.
Well I think the main thing is indoor vs. outdoor activities. If you want to get outside, these are the best activities to be doing! (or find restaurants with outdoor seating) Bars, where you are crammed inside with a bunch of people, probably not a great idea. I think there's a lot that's still up in the air in terms of how the virus actually is transmitted but we can only respond to the data that we have and it looks like outdoor activities are relatively low risk.

On masks, we only need 60% of the population wearing masks at 60% efficiency to get that transmission rate down to a level where we can decrease cases. It doesn't need to be 100%. I'm curious how close or far away NC is from that 60% number.......

Old 06-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
What is the bad thing about wearing a mask and trying to make this virus "die" and get back to some normalcy?

These people on Reopen NC are ridiculous. Many of these anti-mask advocates are also anti-abortion. Demand women to give birth and do nothing to protect anyone after birth.
I'm not anti-abortion but I think what the consensus is that the baby is alive and has the right to live. This is supported by federal law. And the big one is they don't want federal dollars going to what they see as murder. If a pregnant woman is killed typically the offender is charged with two counts. So logically, the anti-abortion viewpoint makes sense.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Well I think the main thing is indoor vs. outdoor activities. If you want to get outside, these are the best activities to be doing! (or find restaurants with outdoor seating) Bars, where you are crammed inside with a bunch of people, probably not a great idea. I think there's a lot that's still up in the air in terms of how the virus actually is transmitted but we can only respond to the data that we have and it looks like outdoor activities are relatively low risk.

On masks, we only need 60% of the population wearing masks at 60% efficiency to get that transmission rate down to a level where we can decrease cases. It doesn't need to be 100%. I'm curious how close or far away NC is from that 60% number.......
Yeah if you're going to be around people, being outside is definitely the safest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary