Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 07:58 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,536,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Why is it impressive the majority were wearing masks outside walking along Hillsborough st.? It should come across as sad and pathetic there's so much thought control. There's no need to wear a mask while walking outside.
I don't disagree. At UNC they have mandated masks everywhere on campus indoors or out, while exercising, etc. - wouldn't necessarily apply to Franklin St. Also, within your dorm, you are only allowed to be in your room, no going to a friend's room down the hall, no going to other dorms to visit others, no outside visitors. Also, the original plan was that your suitemates were part of a family and no need to wear masks within the suite, but that was changed to only roommates are considered "family" so you are supposed to where masks when in your suite but not in your room. Dining Hall is one person per table - with chairs facing all the same direction. This doesn't sound like a desirable on campus experience. Why would someone want to pay for that?

The official UNC parents facebook threads are filled with a mix of "my child is so lonely, just stays in their room doing online classes, hasn't met anybody, etc. - why arent the RAs arranging social functions for my freshman" to people giving a daily temperature check of who was/wasnt wearing masks and where they were when they observed said action.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:01 AM

466 posts, read 815,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
He couldn't hear his professor in his one live class because he was wearing a mask AND behind plexiglass.
I have a former boss who teaches at UNC now. He said the mask really was an issue. He struggled to speak loudly enough and he had a hard time understanding his more soft-spoken students. Plus, most of his students chose to watch online. He decided to move completely online starting this week.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:05 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I have a former boss who teaches at UNC now. He said the mask really was an issue. He struggled to speak loudly enough and he had a hard time understanding his more soft-spoken students. Plus, most of his students chose to watch online. He decided to move completely online starting this week.
it should be mask or plexiglass, not both. That is overkill, especially with everyone in the class wearing masks.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:07 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Why is it impressive the majority were wearing masks outside walking along Hillsborough st.? It should come across as sad and pathetic there's so much thought control. There's no need to wear a mask while walking outside.
We know by now you're more enlightened than the rest of us, but you're supposed to mask up when you can't socially distance...doesn't really matter whether you agree with it or not, it's what you're supposed to do.

Now YOU can go back to listening to YOUR Dear Leader, whoever that may be.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:25 AM

386 posts, read 436,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryHeel View Post
A friend of ours who has a freshman daughter at a UNC system school said they changed the housing contract so if they send kids home after class starts the student will not get a refund of the housing fees. Anyone know if that is true or just a rumor circulating amongst the parents?
my only context is that NCSU gave us a prorated amount back when they sent my son home in March. He's off-campus now so if there's been an adjustment to the contract, I wouldn't know. BUT there is precedent in place for them refunding.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:52 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
We know by now you're more enlightened than the rest of us, but you're supposed to mask up when you can't socially distance...doesn't really matter whether you agree with it or not, it's what you're supposed to do.

Just ignore him, he's just trying to get a rise out of people at this point. It's sad/toxic.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:

On a side note, looks like businesses are starting to back of mandating them inside. Too many employees getting attacked when confronting folks.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times
Quote:

I don't disagree with your statement about social distancing. But when you're walking down a sidewalk there's no excuse to walk within 6' of someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Just ignore him, he's just trying to get a rise out of people at this point. It's sad/toxic.

No, I'm not. I'm using common sense and I really wish others would to.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:44 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,897,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2land View Post
... Stay home if sick, take reasonable precautions if healthy. Move on with life.
You say that with such ease ... If only it was that simple for everyone .

But no I’m not stepping foot inside a hospital or a medical facility where aerosols are highly prevalent unless it’s an emergency and /or a measure to help detect/manage/prevent a medical issue that has a very high mortality rate.

Last edited by UserNamesake; 08-17-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 08-17-2020, 12:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Why do they keep reporting on reporting delays like they are something new? Every single Monday since March has been a low day. Why not compare against prior Mondays to show that they're still declining?

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/ano...data/19239889/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary