Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2020, 01:31 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
It is good news that hospitalizations are not increasing like cases are. I'm assuming that's probably because most of the new cases are young college students.

Sadly, a big increase in cases, regardless of how mild the cases are, still sets us back. And I wonder what will happen when these students return home since some of them could be unknowlingly infected.

I feel like we're never going to make any meaningful progress here. We just seem to be in this perpetual slow burn. And then I'm even more confused when I read about places in the UK being able to start school and open more businesses even though they were at least at one point worse off than us per capita, and they're terrible at wearing masks. None of this makes any sense anymore.
And if you look at the case counts in countries whose data you could believe, you'll mostly see upticks starting again as they've opened up.

You can lock down the country but all that will happen is it will delay the inevitable until a vaccine is found.

I really can't imagine a world where we completely shut the vast majority of commerce for another 6 months while vaccine trials are being finished. I just think it's unrealistic, what you see happening in Portland will be the entire country. I'll be out there with the masses.

The flip side of that is if case counts skyrocket due to testing, you're gonna flat out scare the entire populace into hunkering down.

While not testing isn't a realistic option at this point, a solid case can be made for how India and Brazil are running their playbook.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I don’t see why a British person would automatically have a better feel the cultural differences between America and the UK than an American person would.
And in many cases it could be the opposite, as I'm an unbiased viewpoint. Either way my point was they are even more anti-mask than we are.

Edit: I was looking for the BBC article I read a month ago or so on the subject but have to settle for this one:

Most Brits just won’t wear face masks — here’s why

Brits remain reluctant to wear face masks, despite having the highest coronavirus death toll in Europe

38% vs 73% wear masks Brits vs 'Mericans per the article.

Last edited by wheelsup; 08-23-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-23-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2land View Post
Ireland is handling this about as well as to be expected considering where they are.

https://twitter.com/gearoidmurphy_/s...71507338653696

They are done for the most part. As are a number of Western Euro countries and the North East US.

I have a friend who splits time between UK and Hungary. UK rules were so bad, he picked up and moved his family full time to Budapest, where life is normal.
Budapest is an interesting city. Super tourist friendly and very inexpensive. An absolutely amazing destination for Americans to visit - the five star Hilton is ~$100/night in normal times and sits atop a hill overlooking the city in the center of tourist heaven.

If anyone gets a chance to go, DO IT! You won't regret. There was only one direct out of the US IIRC but it is of course pulled. Such a shame, what this virus has done to travel the millions of workers and investors in the industry.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:04 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Budapest is an interesting city. Super tourist friendly and very inexpensive. An absolutely amazing destination for Americans to visit - the five star Hilton is ~$100/night in normal times and sits atop a hill overlooking the city in the center of tourist heaven.

If anyone gets a chance to go, DO IT! You won't regret. There was only one direct out of the US IIRC but it is of course pulled. Such a shame, what this virus has done to travel the millions of workers and investors in the industry.
Well, some of our jobs continue to go there. It's one of the New Indias for some roles.

Am keen to visit at some point.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Well, some of our jobs continue to go there. It's one of the New Indias for some roles.

Am keen to visit at some point.
I never made it to Dubrovnik but from co-workers who went heard it was amazing.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:05 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
So Trump makes a crazy emergency announcement about using plasma treatments with no real proof? And then accuses the FDA about political motivations? My god, what country am I living in right now?

Even more bull**** for his base to not wear masks, not care and spread whatever BS they want.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:40 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
I guess there's no such thing as off topic on this site anymore.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:50 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
George Washington won 100% of the popular vote (I know that isn't how we win elections, but bear with me).

The next closest was James Monroe at 80%, and below that Thomas Jefferson at 72%.

Where do you think this election will fall? Anything above 60% and it would be a top 5 landslide victory for Biden. Stuff for the history books (to add to 2020).
What does that have to do with the post you responded to? Housebuilder made no predictions about the election.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:47 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
So Trump makes a crazy emergency announcement about using plasma treatments with no real proof? And then accuses the FDA about political motivations? My god, what country am I living in right now?

Even more bull**** for his base to not wear masks, not care and spread whatever BS they want.
They've been studying this therapy for COVID for months, and it's not exactly a new idea. I'm no Trump fan to say the least, but this treatment is definitely not crazy or lacking any proof or BS. It may not be a panacea, but it's been shown to reduce mortality if used early.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:13 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
I don’t see why a British person would automatically have a better feel the cultural differences between America and the UK than an American person would.
So one poster, who has shared on this site that they were from RSA and then lived in the UK for years before moving the Triangle some time ago says "The Culture there is very different".

In reply, someone, who has lived in the States their whole life, but travels to business for London, says basically "you're right, but not for the reasons you think" at which point I jump in and laugh, saying Ya I am going to take a British person's/someone who lived in both the US and the UK position on the cultural differences over someone who is in London resting up a couple of days a month is somehow a controversial position? SMFH

We can all read angelkitten's post. It seemed pretty clear that she was saying culturally, Britons and Americans a different, when it comes to heeding authority guidance ("laughed at how lax our rules were"). The point clearly went far beyond mask wearing.

To answer your direct question, a British person doesn't automatically know more about the cultural differences between the US and UK than an American would. However, someone who has actually lived in both places would have a better understanding of those things versus someone who has only ever lived in one of the places and merely slept a couple of nights a month in the Sheraton at Heathrow and took a visit to Trafalgar Square.

Anyway, back to the Rona talk! I had to go to Urgent Care last night after lopping a chunk of my finger off with a piece of glass. Urgent Care apparently has a code phrase for people who are seemingly infected with the Rona when they enter the premises. A mom and her colleged aged daughter were there when I arrived and the nurse at the entry freaked out when I got to the door ("Sir! Don't take another step in please"). Then everyone inside was on radios. They apparently say "Hi nurse so and so, we have some friends here" which sets in motion processes to get the person in question to a separate area of Urgent Care setup for COVID patients. If nothing else, interesting to see first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary