Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 03:42 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times

Advertisements

So, all the students at University that have been exposed should no longer get tested or quarantine themselves? That sounds like a disaster as a good portion of them are returning home and those that aren't returning home continue milling about the college towns.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:10 PM

242 posts, read 150,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
So, all the students at University that have been exposed should no longer get tested or quarantine themselves? That sounds like a disaster as a good portion of them are returning home and those that aren't returning home continue milling about the college towns.
Not that I care either way. If someone wants to test themselves all day every day and six times on Sunday. Rock on.

But the CDC Guidelines say nothing about not taking additional measures.

Quote:
"If you have been in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms:

You do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one.
A negative test does not mean you will not develop an infection from the close contact or contract an infection at a later time.
You should monitor yourself for symptoms. If you develop symptoms, you should evaluate yourself under the considerations set forth above.
You should strictly adhere to CDC mitigation protocols, especially if you are interacting with a vulnerable individual. You should adhere to CDC guidelines to protect vulnerable individuals with whom you live.
This is all really much ado about nothing. Be smart, be safe, etc. Bolding is my own.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-overview.html

That also being said, I think it is absolutely the WRONG move to send them all home. All students should stay in place AND NOT return home. While taking proper precautions.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I didn't take it like you wanted widespread proliferation, but rather "let it take its natural course".

The problem with that is businesses have no idea what sort of damages they'd be liable for if it could be proven they were negligent in how they ran the operation. Negligence in law suits tends to pierce all sorts of lawyer-y iron-clad language, and comes with "high" payouts.

The first wave of Covid-19 workplace lawsuits is here
if someone dies in a work environment where they express symptoms and are demanded to work...that's on the employer

if someone dies in a work environment and there's strong reason to believe contracting the virus happened at work and where the company isn't following established CDC guidelines ... that's on the employer

and that's the "problem" for all of us - you don't get to blame others for your unsafe behavior when you can't prove their lack of safety was greater.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
The CDC's new position on testing and quarantining has me concerned that the CDC is under political pressure and these decisions are not necessarily science based. But what do I know?
Testing is an inexact snapshot in time.

Is it 100% accurate? No, but what IS the %?
Do folks recognize you can be negative today and positive 3 days later?

If LabCorp (or whoever) can process 2,000 tests a day ... do you want to know about "everyone" that decides to get a test, or do you want the 4,000 that are truly likely positive getting tests and results in 2 days?

There are plenty of UNC students that may have rushed off to get tested and got "negative" results 5 days later while on the 5th day they'd actually be positive.

I could have taken a test in April or May or June or July or 7 days ago and gotten "negative" on all. That doesn't mean the fact that I was among people outdoors but unmasked from Thurs thru Sunday says I'd test negative tomorrow.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 08-26-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-26-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Isnt that exactly what is and has happened? Some states went Phase 1-3, some mandated masks, some left businesses (bars, restaurants etc) open and others did nothing of the sort i.e. SD and Sturgis.
with a quick google - which news org beyond CNN had distinct info for the story?

Old 08-26-2020, 06:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
with a quick google - which news org beyond CNN had distinct info for the story?
About how states did different things? I’m confused Bo

Old 08-26-2020, 06:05 PM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Meanwhile, amidst the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a COVID pin, the number of hospitalizations and percentage of positive tests has gone up for 3 days...

Old 08-26-2020, 06:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Meanwhile, amidst the discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a COVID pin, the number of hospitalizations and percentage of positive tests has gone up for 3 days...
Two of the most useless metrics. Unfortunately in NC almost all are useless, but these especially.

For the record hospitalizations are barely up (if at all) if you look at % reporting.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:46 PM

376 posts, read 102,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
About how states did different things? I’m confused Bo
All states went through a phased reopening and most are still not truly fully open. There's been a lot of misinformation put out about states opening up all at once. That never happened.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The CDC has become a bloated agency that, despite concerns raised four years ago, still managed to bungle up the testing.

Remember the testing fiasco earlier in the year?

CDC Whistleblower Identified the “Fatal Flaw” in Testing Years Ago

The list goes on about mistakes they continue to make. If you or I made these mistakes professionally, we'd be fired. Repeatedly.
The government science bureaucracy FUBAR'd 2 critical items:

*testing - pr the article, and per the fact that when they created the test, they violated their own standards and sent out bad tests - this was the "lost month of February"

*PPE - being in control of the stockpile, but neither replenishing (since 2009 IIRC) nor updating it (remember the masks that expired 5+ years ago and crumbled?)

and I would *guess* a 3rd that combines the above ... very few if ANY of the states were even semi-prepared. I generally assume they get their guidance from FDA/CDC so we have to wonder if there was good guidance or it was simply ignored year after year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary