Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 12:31 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
But I do think it's sad that we have a presidential candidate using a mask mandate as a selling point for their election.
Umm, both major party presidential candidates have come out in favor of wearing masks, and have encouraged everyone to wear a mask. One even said doing so is "patriotic" (and its not Biden).

So whats your point again?

Old 08-31-2020, 12:49 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
No, of course not. Don't be so obtuse. I never suggested the virus is fake or some other conspiracy theory garbage. That's not my MO (believe it or not). But I do think it's sad that we have a presidential AND gubernatorial candidate using a mask mandate as a selling point for their election. So since they're doing that why would they not want the numbers to be inflated? High numbers keeps fear and anxiety high. And then the "Hey, if I'm elected president your safety will be my responsibility" garbage. Combine this with the fact the percent positive numbers remaining relatively the same since the mask mandate started. Explain to me why I need to wear a mask again?

And see below.

Exactly.

Thanks for clarifying dude.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:09 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryHeel View Post
That is interesting. That source seems to give them somewhat more credibility than this one.

I often find folks like those you describe have a blind spot on one or more issues that they’ve wrapped in a confirmation biased protective echo chamber. They may appear perfectly rational on other topics and then display an utter lack of critical thinking skills in that area.
as long as folks understand it happens both ways. Like, I don't understand the OAN shade when I've never watched it, and I assume it's got a fraction of CNN's viewership, and CNN is considered almost center.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
...So up to 90% of those that tested positive may not even carry enough viral load to be contagious?

...and the CDC updated their website this weekend to say that only 6% of the 153,504 deaths directly from Covid? That translates to only 9,210 deaths as a direct result of Covid. Meaning that other 94% died having 2-3 other serious illnesses or advanced in age.

I dunno folks, this is starting more and more to sound like we have been handed some BS since April...
Only 6% were ONLY from COVID. The average # of co-morbidities in the 94% was 3 (since you can't have 2.7 CM's, we'll call it 3).

I've still never seen any hospitalization/ICU breakdown by age, but we do know that ~ 1/3 of deaths are 85+. ~1/2 of deaths are 75+. And 91% of deaths are 55+.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:19 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
as long as folks understand it happens both ways. Like, I don't understand the OAN shade when I've never watched it, and I assume it's got a fraction of CNN's viewership, and CNN is considered almost center.
Of course it does. As for OAN. It is basically a conspiracy theorist board masquerading as news and they now have a permanent seat in the WH briefing room.

They literally employ at least one reporter who also works for Russian State TV.

It does well with echo chamber types however.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
No, my "confusion" had to do with the swing in discussion in the last page or two of this thread, seemingly based on this "story".

Soon as I saw the story was sourced from the Western Journal -> QAnon Supporter -> Baby Huey it made complete sense as to why it largely isn't being reported.
it's a CDC report. While I'd agree, getting your "news" (and using that to promulgate "fact") from single partisan sources is dumb, it goes back to the CDC report.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:16 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Only 6% were ONLY from COVID. The average # of co-morbidities in the 94% was 3 (since you can't have 2.7 CM's, we'll call it 3).
What the CDC report actually says is 6% of death certificates only listed COVID as the cause of death.

Worth a read:

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/stat...87060267773952

Quote:
"Only 6%" would refer to COVID deaths where the death certificate had literally nothing but "COVID-19." It means the pathologist / medical examiner was lazy and didn't even include things COVID causes, like "respiratory failure" or "cardiac arrest."
--------------------------
If a person with no pre-existing conditions got COVID-19, developed sepsis, went into respiratory failure, had a heart attack, and died, and the death certificate listed all that, they wouldn't be in the "only 6%." They'd have 3 comorbidities.
If you want to roll with "only 6%," you've got to explain something else.
42% of Americans are obese. What percent of COVID-19 deaths involved obesity? 3.5%.
What?! How?!
Simple: the chart merely lists what medical examiners chose to put on death certificates.
If we interpreted those death certificates the way "only 6%" people are, then the worst comorbidity of all isn't influenza, COPD, diabetes, obesity, or even cancer. It's <drumroll> "other."
Causes on death certificates aren't standardized, and practices for them vary widely.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
^So why have the number of positive infections remained steady since the mask mandate? I can post links to countless sites explaining why masks are bad, don't work, etc. but they'll just be dismissed.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Did you skip the top of the last page?

Anyway....the chain of custody goes something like this

1. CDC puts up findings on their site that show that 94% of people (I used 96% incorrectly in a previous post) who died with COVID had on average 2-3 other comorbidities when they died. Certainly a question raising thing to point out

A. We already knew that comorbidities and COVID put a person at higher risk of demise, so this really isn't "new knowledge" other than the percentage. Hasn't this been the rallying cry of the "Open it back up" crowd all along on this board? "If you're scared or at high risk, stay home. Let the rest of us get back to normal"....

B. What's the end game by throwing that number out other than to get the line of thought out there that either "It isn't as dangerous/bad as it has been made out to be" or to make our numbers look less worse than they are? What other reasonable reason would there be to put this out, now?

2. The Western Journal article gets written based on the report . Meg Q and in an irony that could only make sense in 2020, the Ghost of Herman Cain, a man who literally spent a month fighting and then died from COVID, tweet it out (I have to admit I laughed my ass off when I saw that the people running Herman's twitter handle jumped on this report and retweeted it after it literally just killed him). The Comments on the WJ article are about what one would expect, Ill let people search for it themselves since I refuse to personally assist in driving clicks on their site

3. La Corbata Larga then amplifies the article to his 85M twitter followers.

4. Ends up in the convos here (and other boards I have no doubt).

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this helps the dialogue. YMMV
Is it asking too much - if we're trying to keep "politics" out of local CD and have adult conversations instead - to just call him Trump? I can't speak for others, but for 8 years Obama (never anything but his actual name) was my President.

And with 62MM votes, and if you've ever seen his Twitter (I only check it when called upon), no more than 30MM are his voters.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:04 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
^So why have the number of positive infections remained steady since the mask mandate? I can post links to countless sites explaining why masks are bad, don't work, etc. but they'll just be dismissed.
Wearing a mask isn't the only variable involved with transmission. Since we were on a more stringent lockdown early on, if positive test rates have remained constant as we've opened up (and thus created more person to person interaction) then that is actually proof that masks do work.

Last edited by Royal James; 08-31-2020 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary