Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 06:34 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

I am disappointed at the lack of discussion for Phase 2.5. Hopefully you all rushed to the parks and gyms or were buying masks for smaller children.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:37 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
The whole "only 6%, so everyone else is expendable and they don't count" idiocy was presented by The Gateway Pundit.
GP has all the credibility of InfoWars for routinely unreliable insight and general idiocy.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...9-transparent/

Old 09-02-2020, 06:42 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it certainly has been latched onto as "Covid's not so bad" as strongly as some news has been declared evidence "Covid will kill you if you get it"

At some point, somebody is going to look at excess deaths for the year. And then we'll have a much better idea of the real impact.
Of course. As is the case in most situations, the truth lies somewhere in the middle - this isn't the world's most deadly disease, but it represents a highly contagious illness that is a doozy if you have some other health issues and we (the US) seem have to have a population more susceptible to serve impacts.

I saw what I felt was a perfect analogy on Twitter last night for this "6%" point (which Fauci has spent time talking about now). The point was basically this in the tweet.

Sure, we can claim that COVID only killed 6% of of the 180K who have died in the US from COVID. But if we are going to make that type of of distinction, then lets apply it to other things, for instance, 9/11. Terrorists didn't kill 3,000 people on 9/11. They only killed the people on the airplanes. Everyone else died from smoke inhalation, falling building materials and blunt force trauma.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
I am disappointed at the lack of discussion for Phase 2.5. Hopefully you all rushed to the parks and gyms or were buying masks for smaller children.
I think Phase 2.5 doesn't start till Friday at 5pm, so there's a little time. But yeah, the announcement seemed rather abrupt and didn't give parents of smaller kids much time to get little masks if they didn't already have them.

I have however noticed many smaller kids wearing masks already even though technically they didn't have to under Phase 2. I'm guessing the state decided to include younger kids now in the mask mandate because more things are opening up and to be consistent with the school requirement.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:40 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The whole "only 6%, so everyone else is expendable and they don't count" idiocy was presented by The Gateway Pundit.
GP has all the credibility of InfoWars for routinely unreliable insight and general idiocy.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...9-transparent/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Old 09-02-2020, 07:44 AM

the problem will remain the dubious nature of "dying with COVID" vs "dying from COVID" and how people interpret that difference.

Again, one day soon, someone will start tabulating excess deaths. From a data/science standpoint, that will be highly valuable, right?

Folks don't want to acknowledge it, but medically there's a significant portion of the "COVID deaths" that would have died anyway from their underlying serious medical conditions. I don't wish death on anyone, it's just reality.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:52 AM

for example ...https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...virus-obituary

I feel the wife's grief. But her husband was not a healthy person who died because of anything politicians did.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I think Phase 2.5 doesn't start till Friday at 5pm, so there's a little time. But yeah, the announcement seemed rather abrupt and didn't give parents of smaller kids much time to get little masks if they didn't already have them.

I have however noticed many smaller kids wearing masks already even though technically they didn't have to under Phase 2. I'm guessing the state decided to include younger kids now in the mask mandate because more things are opening up and to be consistent with the school requirement.
sorry, it was bad sarcasm. I was surprised it wasn't discussed.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:07 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Again, one day soon, someone will start tabulating excess deaths. From a data/science standpoint, that will be highly valuable, right?
Here you go:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

Old 09-02-2020, 08:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
sorry, it was bad sarcasm. I was surprised it wasn't discussed.
Yes, I figured there was some sarcasm in there. I was surprised at the early announcement and sudden change in the mask requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary