Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 07:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
Won't be me. As I have stated multiple times, I do wear a mask. I wear it for others, not for me. You might want to check the post above yours. Those young people, the ones in the bars and all the protestors have done the most to spread the virus.
Sorry, I stopped reading much of the thread.

the protestors I saw were wearing masks.

I reframe my post toward those not wearing them.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:43 PM

364 posts, read 121,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Ugh, this makes me so mad. I have three severely immunocompromised family members in upstate NY who are still keeping themselves on strict restrictions, and all it's gonna take is someone like you in a grocery store to potentially kill all three of them.

The vulnerable need to isolate. Do they have family nearby?

Most grocery stores deliver. Don't rely on others to monitor your safety. There are ways to take it into your own hands.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:06 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
it appears July 1 reporting date was NC's record # so far, at 1,843 cases. Fortunately, thus far our hospitalizations are pretty steady over the last 2 weeks.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFTMQEA View Post
The vulnerable need to isolate. Do they have family nearby?

Most grocery stores deliver. Don't rely on others to monitor your safety. There are ways to take it into your own hands.
They are completely isolating and they don't have family nearby. They get groceries delivered. The point is, at some point someone's gonna need to go to the doctor or something else. We have a responsibility as a society to wear masks and try to protect each other.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:43 AM

364 posts, read 121,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
They are completely isolating and they don't have family nearby. They get groceries delivered. The point is, at some point someone's gonna need to go to the doctor or something else. We have a responsibility as a society to wear masks and try to protect each other.

I wear a mask, not for myself, but to protect others.

But, why would someone in a grocery store kill your relatives if they don't go to the grocery store?

Old 07-04-2020, 07:15 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
it's about time for NCDHHS to update their color-coded statewide County map.

the current one has categories of 0-10, 10-25, 25-50, 50-100,100-250,250-500,500-1000,1000+. You'd need really sharp eyes to discern the 8 different shades anyway

should be more like 0-100, 100-500, 500-1000, 1000-2000, 2000+. that's just 5 shades.

also, we'll pass 1MM tests "today". That's like 1 out of 10 people have been tested ... even knowing some have multiple tests done. Hospitalizations jumped 40 - almost 5% - but ICU bed usage/availability is steady

Old 07-04-2020, 07:33 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
At its peak, Massachusetts was averaging around 2300 cases per day - similar to where we are at now. At that same time, they were averaging about 175 deaths per day, where NC is averaging around 10 a day (guesstimate since they removed the rolling average line from the graph).

Can anyone explain this disparity to me? Why with supposedly equal cases counts, do so many die in one state versus another?

Old 07-04-2020, 08:18 AM

598 posts, read 333,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
At its peak, Massachusetts was averaging around 2300 cases per day - similar to where we are at now. At that same time, they were averaging about 175 deaths per day, where NC is averaging around 10 a day (guesstimate since they removed the rolling average line from the graph).

Can anyone explain this disparity to me? Why with supposedly equal cases counts, do so many die in one state versus another?
Different demographics of people being tested? That would be my guess. I don't think the virus has become any less deadly to those in the high risk categories. Remember we're testing a LOT more people now than they were three months ago, so we're catching more cases that only have mild symptoms and in many cases no symptoms at all. Back when the big cities were peaking and thousands of people were dying per day, testing was mostly limited to people with severe symptoms and their direct contacts. Meaning that for all the people who were testing positive then, there were many many more likely cases that never got tested.

Last edited by robin3904; 07-04-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-04-2020, 08:43 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Different demographics of people being tested? That would be my guess. I don't think the virus has become any less deadly to those in the high risk categories. Remember we're testing a LOT more people now than they were three months ago, so we're catching more cases that only have mild symptoms and in many cases no symptoms at all. Back when the big cities were peaking and thousands of people were dying per day, testing was mostly limited to people with severe symptoms and their direct contacts. Meaning that for all the people who were testing positive then, there were many many more likely cases that never got tested.
So if true, this would lead me to believe that we should not be panicking about the current increase in cases and minor increase in hospitalizations....

Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 AM

242 posts, read 150,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

If only we had real visualization on what the case counts were in those days. Likely hundreds of thousands a day. I have seen a couple out there which really gives a better sense of how bad things were then, compared to what is going on now.

Not to mention, in addition to having a crap-ton of cases, they (like the other states in the NE) likely made the situation worse with reseeding nursing homes with positive C19 patients and over-venting patients (treatment as much as the disease becoming a cause of death).

Look at Wake, even with ~30 of the 50 deaths coming from congregate facilities, the CFR is under 1%. When you don't botch the situation as bad as NY, NJ, and MA, wonder what the actual IFR will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary