Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"I would like for everything to be completely open as soon as possible too. That's why I wear a mask and social distance. I would appreciate it if you did too - that way we can all return to normal quicker."

I'm right there with you Bo and have been all along. I wore a mask out for the first time on a run to Sheetz the Sunday Wake Co. closed schools (March 15th?). As I said in a post/novel here that seems like eons ago, I want nothing more than my life back, my kids back in school, my sister back to work, my dad's investments going again (check), small businesses getting the foot traffic they need to be successful. All of it.

If my mask, keeping 6 feet away from people (No issue for me, I respect personal space and wasn't born with the talk with everyone Southern Hospitality gene hence I blast my AirPods in public as my "flag") help get us there...then I'm in baby with both feets and hands.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
So you really think all those young people in bars getting drunk and all those people jam packed together protesting were "Mahhhh Rights" types? I find that hard to believe.
All of them? No, certainly not. Some of them, no doubt.

The Ken videos getting plastered on social media like the "I feel threatened" clown yesterday (good luck finding a new job homey!) certainly aren't olds.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:21 AM

653 posts, read 221,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"We made a mistake. Part of it was purposeful - to conserve real PPE for the health care professionals' needs in treating COVID patients. Masks are not a great solution, but the virus is new and so we're learning all the time. We have found over time that they do help especially as people have become more comfortable wearing them properly and avoiding touching their faces and eyes."
We knew before Covid19 whether a virus can be stopped by a mask or not. Other things about Covid19 are a learning process, but not the fact of can a virus can pass through a mask or not. If people think that wearing a homemade cloth mask is going to stop a microscopic virus from passing through the large openings in the fabric and getting into their nose, they aren't that bright. Now that type of mask may stop a big booger from flying out of your nose onto someone else, but not much more. I do wear a mask to make others feel better and I wear the N95 mask instead of a make believe homemade cloth mask.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM

653 posts, read 221,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
All of them? No, certainly not. Some of them, no doubt.
I completely agree with you. It should not be hard for everyone to admit that it is a wide ranging demographic spreading the virus. Certainly not just who some want to assign all blame.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM

18,046 posts, read 15,639,191 times
People are free to go outside their homes, there's a segment of people who think somehow that's not allowed (outside of being quarantined), all one needs to do is maintain a safe space away from others, wear a mask and wash their hands thoroughly.

Some people who might be among those who most want their 'space,' ironically desire to be all up in others' spaces, to the tune of less than 6ft. I think those people are oppositional and will rail against anything they're told or asked to do. If they were told "you cannot have a mask" they'd want one....cause. If they were made to sit right next to other people (sweaty others would be good), they'd demand their space. It's like dealing with tantruming toddlers; tell them the opposite of what is wanted and make them do that.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I completely agree with you. It should not be hard for everyone to admit that it is a wide ranging demographic spreading the virus. Certainly not just who some want to assign all blame.
No Demographic has the market cornered on this. Lack of Critical Analysis, Common Sense, a sense of "right place, right time" (for lack of a better term), feel for the moment. Those who choose to be fed information rather than consume all they can to inform/educate themselves all play into this and cut across the spectrum of America.

America, collectively, is a failed state right now, because of how we have conducted ourselves through this situation (from POTUS on down). Whether it was the President (or Governors in NY and FL and TX etc etc etc), or my neighbor who went to a packed bar and sent a group of us Pictures captioned with "Oh wait, I shouldn't be doing this!?!?!" or the kids on Spring Break doing body shots, or my neighbor who had people in their office with COVID and didn't think to tell the group and still wanted to socialize with people, or my buddy who went on vaca to Myrtle Beach with a family friend who had it...weak links in the chain.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:58 AM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
We knew before Covid19 whether a virus can be stopped by a mask or not. Other things about Covid19 are a learning process, but not the fact of can a virus can pass through a mask or not. If people think that wearing a homemade cloth mask is going to stop a microscopic virus from passing through the large openings in the fabric and getting into their nose, they aren't that bright. Now that type of mask may stop a big booger from flying out of your nose onto someone else, but not much more. I do wear a mask to make others feel better and I wear the N95 mask instead of a make believe homemade cloth mask.
If people don't understand at this point how covid is transmitted, then they aren't that bright either.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:19 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
N&O's iPhone alert .... "NC reports dozens of new deaths" ...

Hmm, I thought. I checked the website after 11 am, and it said "July 8". before my post above. So I go back, nothing has changed. Go to the N&O app, and it's "Dozens of deaths this week".

7 day total deaths - 35. Which is the lowest 7-day total since April 2.

oh, and ANOTHER outbreak of employees/residents at a Wake Co retirement home. How they don't have enforced guidelines in place by now is apparently beyond my payscale.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:29 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
No Demographic has the market cornered on this. Lack of Critical Analysis, Common Sense, a sense of "right place, right time" (for lack of a better term), feel for the moment. Those who choose to be fed information rather than consume all they can to inform/educate themselves all play into this and cut across the spectrum of America.

America, collectively, is a failed state right now, because of how we have conducted ourselves through this situation (from POTUS on down). Whether it was the President (or Governors in NY and FL and TX etc etc etc), or my neighbor who went to a packed bar and sent a group of us Pictures captioned with "Oh wait, I shouldn't be doing this!?!?!" or the kids on Spring Break doing body shots, or my neighbor who had people in their office with COVID and didn't think to tell the group and still wanted to socialize with people, or my buddy who went on vaca to Myrtle Beach with a family friend who had it...weak links in the chain.

Its a global pandemic, nothing is going to help. Doesnt matter who is in office or governor when you are dealing with a virus. We should be thankful it's not as deadly as others. People put too much faith into the government and its sad. Cuomo royally screwed up the nursing homes so thats on him.

Everyone will be exposed to it at some point. This year, next year, year after. Just like the flu. The whole point is flattening the curve and not to overwhelm the hospitals. Mission accomplished. Even Texas isn't near max capacity and they are getting hammered right now. Virus is not as deadly and we are treating it better. New treatments are emerging. Death toll is way down despite new cases surging. Look at facts, not what the media is telling you.

I watch people pretty closely when im out and about. The overwhelming majority of people are not using a mask correctly. How many people are throwing their mask away away after they use it? Yeah the ones that cost $35 for 50 at walgreens. Or the n95's that are impossible to find. How many people are sterilizing their home made masks after each use? Not just washing it, actually sterilizing it correctly. How about the masks with valves? You know those valves are unfiltered air being released on the cheap ones. Not many with valves are filtering exhaled air, and the ones that do are not filtering the same way as the rest of the mask. Most people reuse disposable masks, touch their used masks then their face or the things around them.

The biggest issue is the media. 24/7 negativity with Covid, racism, and everything else they do. They are the biggest threat to our country. I cut out ALL news in my life. I unfollow people that dont contribute positivity to my life.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:36 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
That's why they are saying: wear a mask AND keep your distance. Also, please stop regurgitating what you think you know and read different sources and opinions. Honestly, Sunny, reading your responses, it seem like you just repeat the same thing over and over... and sometimes I wonder, do you even stop and read what people who do not agree with you are saying?

Anyway, a lot of epidemiologists and scientists have been saying that homemade masks are effective as a "source control." They can do a helluva job preventing larger expelled droplets from evaporating into smaller droplets that can travel farther. There are videos online showing (high speed videos) droplets travelling with vs without a mask.

I mean if wearing a homemade mask can statistically reduce the number of exposure to Covid-19 by even 10% -- we should all be wearing it. Because right now we have 133,000 people dead from this disease in this country ALONE. 10% of that is about 13,000. We could have prevented the death of almost 13,000. Why wouldn't we do it? Confirmed cases in USA right now -- over 3mil. 10% of that is 300,000 people. If we were all diligent and followed the rules, we could have been in a much better shape for actual reopening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary