Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I laughed that The Weather Channel got evaluated by this site (but left leaning apparently!!)

AP, Reuters and The Hill are the most reliable/centrist choices according to the chart.
The worst part of The Hill is they sold John Solomon's conspiracy fever dreams as fact/news.

They had to come back, in some cases a couple of years after his pieces were published, and mark them as "Opinion" rather than "News". They even came out of the review of Solomon's work with enhanced controls in place to try and avoid the mess in the future.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/48...mns-on-ukraine

Old 07-10-2020, 01:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I go with the wide berth approach as well, but beyond "persuasion/bias" (the X axis) I layer in the Y Axis of "is it more news or more opinion".

"News" - which can skew Left or Right, but tends to be just the facts

AP, Reuters, NPR, C-Span, PBS, NBC, Politico, Axios, BBC, The Hill

"News with some opinion"

NYT, WaPo, WSJ, The Atlantic, The Guardian, The Economist, National Review, Weekly Standard, Time, Forbes

"Stretching it, but at least I know it"

MotherJones, HuffPo, MSNBC, Washington Free Beacon

"That ain't a Moon, that's a Propaganda factory"

DailyKos, NY Post, Fox News, The Federalist

"Lets see what the crazies are talking about"

Occupy Democrats, Daily Caller, Daily Wire, OAN, Breitbart

And finally "Good thing you have a Medulla Oblongata, because otherwise you probably would forget to breathe"

Infowars, WorldNetDaily
Lol, you are so much stronger than me. I can do "The Weekly Standard" in like small doses, and you check Breitbart? I'd explode. Haha.

Good list! I forgot MotherJones -- good stuff.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:40 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Lol, you are so much stronger than me. I can do "The Weekly Standard" in like small doses, and you check Breitbart? I'd explode. Haha.

Good list! I forgot MotherJones -- good stuff.
One of my favorite things to do (when I'm bored surfing the web) is read the comment section on any "hot" Breitbart article.

I'm way past the despair portion of the "Stages of Grief" and am now soundly in the "Mike Tyson Laughing on a Couch" stage of it.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:43 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
No matter what, if any news outlet publishes a story on the daily happenings at the white house, it will seem to promote left-leaning bias just by the craziness of what was done. The bias is actually in the spoken word before it even hits the papers....
lol, this is so true.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
on the COVID front ...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/co...244093952.html

"Some good news" - ie, ICU usage is steady even though tests and overall hospitalizations have jumped.

the Grrrrr news:

*acknowledge they're behind on gathering data
*say we don't have better stats on hospital demographics because haven't collected thm/worried only about utilization and the NYC effect (which peaked 90 days ago)
*say they do have city-specific stuff for hospital utilization, and plan to start providing that "soon"
*for the conspiracy theorists - acknowledge any non-COVID admission gets tested, and if positive, gets counted as COVID ... but they do say this is a small %!

Old 07-10-2020, 02:06 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
on the COVID front ...

"Some good news" - ie, ICU usage is steady even though tests and overall hospitalizations have jumped.

the Grrrrr news:

*say we don't have better stats on hospital demographics because haven't collected thm/worried only about utilization and the NYC effect (which peaked 90 days ago)
*say they do have city-specific stuff for hospital utilization, and plan to start providing that "soon"
*for the conspiracy theorists - acknowledge any non-COVID admission gets tested, and if positive, gets counted as COVID ... but they do say this is a small %!
Thanks for posting this! I caught a few minutes of the press conference yesterday, but it was definitely not at the good news part.

I think the UNC doctor who was quoted as saying “I think we’re all touching the elephant on different sides, and it’s hard to get a grasp of it” summed up the situation pretty well.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:12 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I'm certainly left of m378 and I don't even visit/read/watch CNN.

Too "Wizz! Bang! Wow!" for news. News is "Who, What, Where, When and Why" anything more is opinion/entertainment.
Don't know about that blocked poster nor do I make my leaning public but can say I actually tried watching CNN yesterday and I only lasted about 5 minutes, it's as unwatchable as Colbert or other such manipulators. Had to watch an hour of BBC just to get the smell out of the room.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:16 PM

242 posts, read 150,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
on the COVID front ...

the Grrrrr news:

In CLI surveillance the last two weeks of ICU new admits have been the lowest since mid-April. And the ICU stabilization is not new, they were basically stable all through June as well.

DHHS is crap for hospital data, but they do have their daily surge survey internal briefing with at least SOME data. They should have been called out long before this to release that information publically. (By someone other than me, who has been begging media for months to ask for this report).

Old 07-10-2020, 02:17 PM

18,081 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I don't watch any news and haven't for eons. A quick update from Reuters or AP to get the national headlines, some local news, and I'm done.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:20 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This is helpful to ascertain where your media source ranks in terms of liberal vs conservative

Media Bias Chart

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/intera...ia-bias-chart/
That's an interesting interactive take on what I mentioned yesterday. I find it a bit hard to use, one of the viral ones I was referring to was this https://s3.amazonaws.com/libapps/acc...bias-chart.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary