Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 03:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've traveled outside the Triangle twice since the mask mandate went into effect - and saw very little mask wearing going on, and also very little social distancing. The one exception was grocery stores - saw almost everyone masked at an Ingles and a Food Lion. But other than that, no masks as I drove through small towns and saw people going in and out of businesses. Large groups of people at campgrounds all bunched up together, multiple cars per campsite, no masks, no social distancing.
I had two camping spots all lined up but changed my mind the very last minute because of this exact reason. I totally get that camp sites are apart from each other and I am being too careful, but I did read that campsites were crazy busy this year in NC. I just do not want to chance it. I am in my late 30s and lead a healthy life. But, what I do not understand is why these people aren't afraid of long lasting effects and/or complications? 26 year old girl just had to get lung transplants in Chicago. I mean it's great for science... but think about it, a 26 old person getting new lungs because of this virus. It's just insane that people seem to be so nonchalant about covid.

I do not have a TV but I have Hulu and it playes limited amount of commercials. Yesterday I saw a stupid ****ing commercial about Cuomo being an idiot and not knowing anything. I was like where is this even going? At the end it says something along the lines of "open up our economy" -- like they almost were saying this is nothing, this is hoax. I was so ****ing pissed. I think I just switched it off completely.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:30 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think that is definitely part of it. In cooler climates people are now spending more time outdoors, in AZ or TX you will melt if you spend more than three mins outside.

So if its too hot to be outside...why are people not just staying home?

Old 07-14-2020, 03:34 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Can someone explain the reasoning for Duke Gardens being closed? I know they don't want a lot of people but those people are walking around in the fresh air.

Looks like moderna is just cleared their current stage trials. Wow, that's promising.

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I had two camping spots all lined up but changed my mind the very last minute because of this exact reason. I totally get that camp sites are apart from each other and I am being too careful, but I did read that campsites were crazy busy this year in NC. I just do not want to chance it. I am in my late 30s and lead a healthy life. But, what I do not understand is why these people aren't afraid of long lasting effects and/or complications? 26 year old girl just had to get lung transplants in Chicago. I mean it's great for science... but think about it, a 26 old person getting new lungs because of this virus. It's just insane that people seem to be so nonchalant about covid.
I'm with you there bud. Dying from this (as a 37 year old) almost seems like the "easy" way out. Lung transplants, arteries that aneurysm and rupture like sieves, renal failure, brain damage, vital organs damaged beyond function because of blood clots.

As Hal Kushner quotes his captors in Ken Burns' Vietnam War "You will find dying is very easy, living will be the difficult thing."

Old 07-14-2020, 03:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Can someone explain the reasoning for Duke Gardens being closed? I know they don't want a lot of people but those people are walking around in the fresh air.
If I had to guess its because of staff safety. The two state parks I stayed at had closed park offices, no in person check-in, reduced services (i.e. no trash cans at sites), etc. Kerr Lake had safety fencing around the bathrooms so that when they are being cleaned people weren't still walking in. A lot of employees at these places are in high risk groups as well - for example, camp hosts are usually retirement age folks. So, it's about protecting them as well as the whole social distancing thing.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I literally went there every weekend during fall. I used to go early and walk my dogs (allowed before 10am). It gets insanely busy after that. Even when I was leaving I would see so many people around the koi pond, or just coming in, trying to find parking. So I am glad they shut it down. If you keep it open you have to make sure you keep the facilities open too. I am sure they didn't want to put their people at risk (simple risk management for them as well... it probably would look bad for Duke anyway).

Al Bueller trail is open though. It does get a bit busy during weekends, so I have been walking the campus instead. It's less crowded. Especially any time between 6am-10am.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I had two camping spots all lined up but changed my mind the very last minute because of this exact reason. I totally get that camp sites are apart from each other and I am being too careful, but I did read that campsites were crazy busy this year in NC. I just do not want to chance it. I am in my late 30s and lead a healthy life.
I camp solo and steer clear of everyone else, so I didn't feel particularly unsafe. Morrow Mountain had probably half the campsites closed, but I had a neighbor maybe 20-25' away. Satterwhite Point didn't have any sites closed, and I saw a lot more "party atmosphere" there. Think large groups, boating etc. It's all about your individual risk tolerance - even though I'm 20 years older than you, I felt OK camping and will go again. I don't talk to anyone, use the bathroom in my RV for the most part, bring food with me, don't eat out, etc. But I certainly get where you're coming from!

Old 07-14-2020, 03:46 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Has anyone been to Eno River State Park? I believe it's open. How is the parking situation? Last I was there was maybe 1 or 2 years ago. Not sure how popular it is now.

Old 07-14-2020, 04:35 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Quick reminder on the % positive stats:

I really don't understand why it's not mandatory to report negative tests. This isn't 1918 - we aren't writing down test results with pencil and paper.
If 10% are positive, then obviously 90% are negative. No need to mandate first grade math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary