Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM

133 posts, read 331,396 times

Advertisements

Coming from the northeast, the lack of a basement when we move into our new house is going to be an adjustment. I have seen many garage lofts and/or shelving systems when looking at a number of houses down there. Unfortunately, our new house does not have this in the garage.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to companies or indviduals that do these types of installations and/or how much it costs?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
A few of my clients used the Big Shelf. Welcome to Bigshelf Garage Storage Solutions...
I think they are around 1,000.. not sure but I seem to remember that they were a little on the pricey side.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM

133 posts, read 331,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
A few of my clients used the Big Shelf. Welcome to Bigshelf Garage Storage Solutions...
I think they are around 1,000.. not sure but I seem to remember that they were a little on the pricey side.
Thanks. I Googled a few and asked my Realtor also.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Any handyman can build you some shelves in your garage. It's actually very easy.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:50 PM

140 posts, read 621,533 times
I bought a heavy duty shelving system from Lowes. The shelves are grey in color and made by closetmaid. The wall brackets and shelves cost me about $300 and 3 hours of my time to install. If you can use a drill you can save your self big money. I came from the north east w/ a basement as well. Each of these shelves supported 600 pounds so I got ALL my stuff off the floor and up high in the garage. Also had some cool niche stuff like a wheelbarrel hanger, Bike pully lifts and other organization parts for that same price range.

4' x 16" Maxload Shelf

Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 35,827 times
If your garage overhead height is tall enough, you can get quite a bit of storage above the useable floor space. You can lag torsion boxed into the studs and then use a diagonal support from the front of the shelf back to the stud/brace. This option offers a great deal of space that can hold alot of weight but some people don't like shelving made of solid shelving. The wire style shelving offers a great deal of visibility to see what is on the shelving while the wood shelving allows things to be easily slid around on the shelves. You can also get dividers for the wooden shelves.

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 04-29-2008 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 04-29-2008, 07:17 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
a few years ago I bought 22 of these shelf brackets at the Orange Big Box Home Center:

Stanley Hardware :* 257555 *-* 20"x13" White Heavy Duty Shelf Bracket

I think they were about $8.00 each.
20 " x 13"

Each one is held up by three lag bolts into every other stud.

I bought three sheets of 3/4" plywood, and painted them white.
Ripped them in half, and have 6 shelves around the garage, about 8 feet off the floor.
48 linear feet of 2 foot deep shelving that looks pretty good, and is really solid.

I think the whole bill was around $280, and some evening and weekend time.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM

61 posts, read 165,753 times
You'd better not be trying to put me out of business you weekend warrior you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
a few years ago I bought 22 of these shelf brackets at the Orange Big Box Home Center:

20 " x 13"

Ripped them in half, and have 6 shelves around the garage, about 8 feet off the floor.
48 linear feet of 2 foot deep shelving that looks pretty good, and is really solid.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 AM

655 posts, read 916,826 times
gorilla racks, Costco, $78 for a 3 shelf system. You can stack them to make them 6 shelves high. They are SUPER heavy duty can hold thousands of pounds each. They can be adjusted to adpat to many spaces. I bought 5 units, and have a heck of some good storage space and used one as a workbench.

Google Image Result for http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/153946_lg.jpg

Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

20 " x 13"

Mike,

Did you then secure the plywood to the brackets?

We purchased a newly built home; thus, no shelves in the garage! I REALLY want to get some shelves put up -- if I can just get hubby's cooperation to spend the money on the materials.

Also, those of you who, like us, no longer have a mini-van -- how do you get sheets of plywood home? Do you "bribe" a friend with a pickup or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary