Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 06:52 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferner1 View Post
So the story hasn't broken out, I'm guessing this is a non issue...thoughts anyone

Click this daily!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fenton+weg...s&df=w&ia=news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM

805 posts, read 524,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferner1 View Post
You forgot Whole Foods

Of course the reason for that-is Publix has been moving north and Wegmans south. We are fortunate to be sort of a test market you could say at this time. Both Publix and Wegmans are fairly new (certainly Wegmans but Publix too). They are still building out new Publix (most were built in the rich Cary areas but expanding out now). Wegmans used us as test market moving south-they have never moved south in this manner. We happen to be a rich demographic area so it is as good an area to test on.

As far as the others, they have always been there. Thankfully TJ is giving us some attention now. We desperately need more TJ in this area-I can see one going in HS and many other locations. Just google other big metros you will see what they are capable of doing. We could also use more/better WF (some of ours are a bit outdated). But overall nice to have all of them (but go to Charlotte if you wanna see more newer format they are building). Now you have the full scoop, pay me...
I didn’t forget WF. I just don’t use WF. We have such a wealth of choices that I don’t even need to go there.

What we don’t have, that I’ve seen in other areas, is a luxury, health focused, independent type store. Weaver St market might fit this need. I’ve seen other concepts thrive in other areas (less hippie/crunchy, more soccer mom and retiree money). I think a high end store with food service, a smoothie bar, deli, music and dancing events, plus groceries would be awesome in that spot.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:42 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I didn’t forget WF. I just don’t use WF. We have such a wealth of choices that I don’t even need to go there.

What we don’t have, that I’ve seen in other areas, is a luxury, health focused, independent type store. Weaver St market might fit this need. I’ve seen other concepts thrive in other areas (less hippie/crunchy, more soccer mom and retiree money). I think a high end store with food service, a smoothie bar, deli, music and dancing events, plus groceries would be awesome in that spot.
And, a Weaver Street would be really great, but... but...
The rent $$$/SF in The Fenton will be very high for a low margin independent store to support. If Weaver Street had to price their goods to cover extremely high rent, I suspect they would lose a lot of luster.
And, the overall space in SF that a Wegmans would lease vs. what Weaver Street would care to commit to would be tremendous, I think.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post

news feeds to check on:

https://twitter.com/Hines

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaDevelop

https://twitter.com/FentonNC

https://twitter.com/TriangleBIZJrnl

https://twitter.com/CaryCitizen

https://twitter.com/RALtoday

Old 03-08-2021, 08:55 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
There's a real pickle here...as the Fenton folks note, Wegmans has a lease. What the terms are to get out of it, we have no idea. But if Wegmans is truly out, it's a tough hole to fill. You've got plans for a 100,000sf grocery store with a parking deck that's already under construction...not many retailers can step into that, so a significant reconfiguration would be needed.

I have always viewed Wegmans as fairly ancillary to the overall Fenton project, so this is by no means a death blow to Fenton or anything. But the degradation of this key gateway area for Cary with CTC likely becoming an insulated corporate campus and Wegmans backing out is not good news.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:01 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Another possibility could be that Wegmans is using the recent development of Epic Games to renegotiate the terms of their lease

Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
There's a real pickle here...as the Fenton folks note, Wegmans has a lease. What the terms are to get out of it, we have no idea. But if Wegmans is truly out, it's a tough hole to fill. You've got plans for a 100,000sf grocery store with a parking deck that's already under construction...not many retailers can step into that, so a significant reconfiguration would be needed.

I have always viewed Wegmans as fairly ancillary to the overall Fenton project, so this is by no means a death blow to Fenton or anything. But the degradation of this key gateway area for Cary with CTC likely becoming an insulated corporate campus and Wegmans backing out is not good news.

HT will double down with incentives and coupons at their easy-access Cary Towne Blvd. store to keep people from entering Fenton.
Keep them coming in, rather than establish a new habit.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
a 100,000sf grocery store with a parking deck that's already under construction...not many retailers can step into that,.

One retailer: if Costco cancels planned Garner store and decided to use Fenton!

https://www.wral.com/costco-chick-fi...road/19441585/

Old 03-08-2021, 10:28 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
pardon me for lollering about the tragedy that might be a Wegman's changing their plans.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:37 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
You know what would go great there...one of the new, smaller IKEAs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary